Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone running Plex on their VPS? If so, which OS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone running Plex on their VPS? If so, which OS?

ArkasArkas Moderator

I never thought the OS would make a difference in running Plex. I ran CentOS 7 and Debian 10 on the same VPS, centOS performed much better. Is there a reason for this, or did I screw up the setup somewhere?

Comments

• edited August 2021

Debian and Ubuntu, never had any issue with Plex at all.. smooth direct play/stream with 1 core cpu (GB5 950), 40 gb ssd, 2GB ram, and 40 TB media on cloud storage..

Direct play/stream 1080p 15 mbps use less than 7% cpu

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • Using Plex on Kimsufi KS1 and Ubuntu 18, super smooth so far. Not gonna transcode on a KS1 though.

• No issue here on Debian 10 with docker.

• Also using Plex on Ubuntu, 20.04.2 and haven't had any issues. I don't transcode though, direct streaming only.

• Using Plex on Windows Server 2019. App is on Windows, nginx for reverse proxy is on WSL. I chose Windows because I like copy pasting from the interface and I can do it for other things (aside from storing Linux ISOs). I run all of my servers on Linux except my media servers.

• DamoHGDamoHG Member, Patron Provider

Ubuntu 20.04 super smooth unless you want to start transcoding.

• Debian hypervisor on a dedi (proxmox) with Plex as an lxc container running on latest Ubuntu LTS

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Ok, I must have done something wrong on Debian 10. Thanks LET!

• how much better?

generally no issues with Debian 10 + swizzin (plex).

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Arkas Debian or Ubuntu is the most friendly for Plex.

• I'm running Plex on Debian using Docker and it's working well. I only use it for music (mostly ripped from my own CDs) though.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @Daniel15 said:
    I'm running Plex on Debian using Docker and it's working well. I only use it for music (mostly ripped from my own CDs) though.

How much music do you have? I have around 10 thousand track, the disk usage for metadata is insane, around 20 to 25 GB..

• Provider and Location does matter? Anyone just list few providers having 1 core and no plex buffering issues (ofcourse no transcoding)

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I must have been doing something wrong. Debian 10 is almost non working, while CentOS 7 seems to be doing just fine.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Arkas said:
    I must have been doing something wrong. Debian 10 is almost non working, while CentOS 7 seems to be doing just fine.

You running it in a container or how are you running it?
    GPU Transcoding?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2021

@chocolateshirt said: How much music do you have? I have around 10 thousand track, the disk usage for metadata is insane, around 20 to 25 GB..

I think around the same number of tracks? My Plex library folder is around 10 GB so it's definitely large. The album cover art takes up a large chunk of the space, and unfortunately they don't have a way of moving just the cover art to another folder. I wanted to keep most of the metadata on an NVMe drive, and only move the cover art to a slower drive.

• @Merlincool said:
    Provider and Location does matter?

You can always use cloudflare for better routing.

• @Daniel15 said:

@chocolateshirt said: How much music do you have? I have around 10 thousand track, the disk usage for metadata is insane, around 20 to 25 GB..

I think around the same number of tracks? My Plex library folder is around 10 GB so it's definitely large. The album cover art takes up a large chunk of the space, and unfortunately they don't have a way of moving just the cover art to another folder. I wanted to keep most of the metadata on an NVMe drive, and only move the cover art to a slower drive.

Yeah, you are right, unfortunately album cover taking a lot of space..

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2021

@dosai said:

@Merlincool said:

Cloudflare is pretty expensive if you want to use it for video (their free plan only allows websites, not a lot of video content, and they'll ban the accounts that violate that rule). If you just want to use it for metadata, fine, but does it really make much of a difference given how small the metadata is?

You're probably better off with BunnyCDN if you want to cache video content at a CDN.

• @Daniel15 said:

@dosai said:

@Merlincool said:

Cloudflare is pretty expensive if you want to use it for video (their free plan only allows websites, not a lot of video content, and they'll ban the accounts that violate that rule). If you just want to use it for metadata, fine, but does it really make much of a difference given how small the metadata is?

You're probably better off with BunnyCDN if you want to cache video content at a CDN.

Yeah you are right. But without cf, I see some buffering issues. I followed the below guide, videos are not served by cf btw.

https://quickbox.io/knowledge-base/setting-up-cloudflare-and-plex-cdn/

• Debian 11 and docker, runs like a charm..

• @dosai said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dosai said:

@Merlincool said:

Yeah you are right. But without cf, I see some buffering issues. I followed the below guide, videos are not served by cf btw.

So how much extra does you have pay for CDN cloudflare? Like free plans do not offer video cache. So how much do you actually pay for CDN for one year plan?

• @dosai said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dosai said:

@Merlincool said:

If videos aren't served via Cloudflare then I don't see how it could improve buffering?

• @Daniel15 said:

@dosai said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dosai said:

@Merlincool said:

If videos aren't served via Cloudflare then I don't see how it could improve buffering?

I am under same impression if not then why CDN is preferred for better Streaming and if it does then what is minimal annual package. I will not share my Plex on one core vps but will use for my personal use only. Also one user.

• @Merlincool said:

@dosai said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dosai said:

@Merlincool said:

So how much extra does you have pay for CDN cloudflare? Like free plans do not offer video cache. So how much do you actually pay for CDN for one year plan?

I'm using cloudflare free plan.

@Daniel15 said:

@dosai said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dosai said:

@Merlincool said:

I don't know but it definitely makes a difference based on my usage.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

If you have the resources, then what's wrong with transcoding?

• @Arkas said:
    If you have the resources, then what's wrong with transcoding?

Transcoding reduce your video quality to match client bandwidth/specification..

Thanked by 1Arkas