Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for (NAT) VPS with 1GB RAM and nested virt enabled
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for (NAT) VPS with 1GB RAM and nested virt enabled

dufudufu Member
edited August 2021 in Requests

Hi I’m looking for an affordable way to run a headless Android X86 emulator, to run a private Matrix WhatsApp bridge (https://docs.mau.fi/bridges/go/whatsapp/android-vm-setup.html).

This requires 1GB of RAM, about 25GB disk space (even HDD is fine) and support for nested virtualization. Any location will do. The VPS will be mostly idle, only forwarding WhatsApp messages to my Matrix server. I don’t need a public IPV4 address either, so NAT should suffice.

Can anyone point me to or offer me something affordable for this? I’m looking for something around the 10-15 usd/year mark.

Comments

• Scaleway stardust fits that price (with v6-only) and spec range and has nested virt enabled.

Comes out €0.37/mo if you disable Flexible IP under Advanced options to get the discount for IPv6-only.
    For IPv4 network access use a vpn or try something like https://nat64.net/

If you don't want to work out IPv6 or can't, it's €1.83/mo which totals €21.90/year so probably not in your price range.

With running Android and a price that low I'm surprised you haven't mentioned how much disk space is needed, Stardust has 10gb root and you can add extra with block storage but it costs loads and would blow out of your range. (To visualise, adding an extra 10gb block volume would cost €0.78/mo = €9.37/year)

All prices in EUR pre-tax because Scaleway is European, you can find marketing nonsense here: https://www.scaleway.com/en/stardust-instances/
    Usually safe to find stock in Amsterdam(Netherlands), availability in Paris(France) is very rare.

There are probably other providers that offer this spec but none that come to mind have nested virt or are willing to enable nested virt. I am welcome to being corrected by potential providers below however.

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • dufudufu Member

Thanks @Erisa good point about the storage requirement, I’ve edited the post. It requires about 25GB of disk space.

That indeed makes Scaleway not really an option unfortunately.

I was using the Oracle Cloud free tier for this earlier but they don’t seem to support nested virtualization anymore unfortunately.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @Erisa said:
    Scaleway stardust fits that price (with v6-only) and spec range and has nested virt enabled.

Comes out €0.37/mo if you disable Flexible IP under Advanced options to get the discount for IPv6-only.

Is this server easy to buy? I think they have limited stock

• IIRC @WebHorizon has nested virt on request and they have very good NAT offers.

Thanked by 2Erisa Abd
  • @hzhoanglee said: Is this server easy to buy? I think they have limited stock

I covered that:

@Erisa said: Usually safe to find stock in Amsterdam(Netherlands), availability in Paris(France) is very rare.

Every time I looked, there was already stock in Amsterdam and not in Paris. Not even listed as low stock in that region, its just there.

• @dufu said: I was using the Oracle Cloud free tier for this earlier but they don’t seem to support nested virtualization anymore unfortunately.

I think this varies. My free tier Epyc server on Oracle has nested virt right now, but I swear my previous one didn't. A lot of the YABS results people post on this forum don't appear to have it either, based on the thread about it here.

The most likely scenario is that your instance got migrated to a different node (based on their capacity) that doesn't have it for whatever reason. Not much you can do about that except keep deploying instances until you strike lucky, if you ever do again. And it can always be taken away from you whenever their node capacity demands.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@dustinc and racknerd

• fbmyfbmy Member

budgetvm.host
    May be you can PM @GameTownProjects for custom plan

• dufudufu Member

@skorupion thanks for the suggestion. Racknerd do not allow nested virtualization unfortunately.

@dufu said:
    @skorupion thanks for the suggestion. Racknerd do not allow nested virtualization unfortunately.

they accually from what I know did start allowing it. May @dustinc confirm?

• @skorupion said:

@dufu said:

they accually from what I know did start allowing it. May @dustinc confirm?

My Racknerd VPS has nested virtualization enabled

• @dufu said:

Not strictly true. Their Ryzens have it by default..

• dufudufu Member

I’m not sure, this is what their sales told me.

@dufu said:
    I’m not sure, this is what their sales told me.

ask again, maybe you have spoken about it before it was enabled

• @dufu said:
    Thanks @Erisa good point about the storage requirement, I’ve edited the post. It requires about 25GB of disk space.

That indeed makes Scaleway not really an option unfortunately.

I was using the Oracle Cloud free tier for this earlier but they don’t seem to support nested virtualization anymore unfortunately.

Do you want to try https://anbox.io/ ? budget vps usually doesn't support nested kvm, and anbox uses LXC, which it more lightweight than a full vm.