Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is the better web server stack: Nginx or Apache? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is the better web server stack: Nginx or Apache?

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@WebProject said: Why not to use both Nginx and Apache, as you can use as reverse proxy, we do use a few projects Nginx as front web server and performance is great.

Why bother with Apache if you're already using nginx?

@LTniger said: Apache FTW, a true free solution.

The Apache license is far more restrictive than Apache's, actually.

Apache: some bizarre snowflake license the Apache SF cooked up

Nginx: 2-clause BSD, which is as free as you can get other than public domain

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny damn nice suggestion... Caddy seems awesome. Gonna move my looking glasses to it tonight :D

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @vyas11 said:

@Proxecure said:
    I have multiple static and dynamic websites including WordPress, which server is best suited for me ? Currently I am using apache but I heard that for high volume traffic Nginx Is best. Or should I use nginx as a reverse proxy server ? I mean front of Apache

Define best. What does it mean for you?
    -Ease of configuration?
    -Community/support/documentation?
    -Suitability for your desired use case?
    -Security/updated?
    -Resource usage?
    -Multi-user?

Define high traffic:
    e.g.
    1000 concurrent users?
    10000 users a day?
    1000000 user a a month?

Well, best = support + security + resource usage and I usually get 20-25k user a days on 2 different websites of WordPress

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • I use OpenLitespeed most of the times. Easy to use and faster than Nginx, unless you would like to spend tons of hours tuning up yojr Nginx.

• pedagangpedagang Member
    edited August 2021

@Proxecure said:
    I use virtualmin, so Nginx +FastCGI +Cache .....

yes virtualmin support nginx
    it's easy on wordpress
    just need to adjust permalink at nginx config (vhost)

don't forget IF you go back to apache, must be completely remove nginx with "purge" command

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

@WebProject said: Why not to use both Nginx and Apache, as you can use as reverse proxy, we do use a few projects Nginx as front web server and performance is great.

Why bother with Apache if you're already using nginx?

Due to clients want to use .htaccess, Nginx handle all http requests and static files only

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2021

Openlitespeed
    Nginx

Good CDN in either case would be my suggestion.

Ideally at those traffic levels, a server admin panel a la Runcloud (you did mention Virtualmin) might also be a good option to consider. Assuming that the minimum cores/RAM/ drive are already chosen for the given use case.

Best wishes

@Proxecure said:

@vyas11 said:

@Proxecure said:
    I have multiple static and dynamic websites including WordPress, which server is best suited for me ? Currently I am using apache but I heard that for high volume traffic Nginx Is best. Or should I use nginx as a reverse proxy server ? I mean front of Apache

Define best. What does it mean for you?
    -Ease of configuration?
    -Community/support/documentation?
    -Suitability for your desired use case?
    -Security/updated?
    -Resource usage?
    -Multi-user?

Define high traffic:
    e.g.
    1000 concurrent users?
    10000 users a day?
    1000000 user a a month?

Well, best = support + security + resource usage and I usually get 20-25k user a days on 2 different websites of WordPress

• For most projects i use nginx

• I've never used Apache but I've used Nginx on my personal projects. My experience was great.