Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newer CPU+SSD or Old CPU+NVME?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hello,
Which VPS specification can give more performance for typical website (e.g Wordpress)? CPU+memory or disk speed? I see some people avoid old CPUs with DDR3, but what about using NVME with it?

1. Which VPS should be chosen for typical website?34 votes
    1. E5-2680v2, DDR3 Memory, NVME Disk
      32.35%
    2. E5-2680v4, DDR4 Memory, SSD SATA Disk
      67.65%

Comments

• IO performance matters. You will get significant improvements on large traffic with NVMe since WordPress reads from databases. For low-traffic sites, you can't notice any difference. But go whatever is cheaper, just avoid hdd.

Thanked by 2laoban Tsukihi
  • It wouldn't really make a difference to a typical WordPress site if what you mean by typical, a 5-6 mostly static pages site w/o WooCommerce as you will be caching it so you don't hit db often.

Thanked by 1laoban
  • @sayem314 said:
    IO performance matters. You will get significant improvements on large traffic with NVMe since WordPress reads from databases. For low-traffic sites, you can't notice any difference. But go whatever is cheaper, just avoid hdd.

Just cache it so it wont hit disk often.

Thanked by 1laoban
  • With VPS its much more important how much people they put into one box and what hard limits they apply.

SATA in X provider can be much faster than NVMe in Y provider.

Same things applies to CPU. I get 30% more CPU performance with Racknerd than boomer.host, although both use e5 v2. With E5 v4 on OVH I had performance like on EPYC 2nd gen with Contabo and EPYC 2nd gen in Netcup was 60% faster.

After my lesson with SSDnodes and Contabo I just check if specs arent completly crappy and then try to find opinions and benchmarks.

Thanked by 2laoban yoursunny
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

"Typical" site can run pretty well on IDE disks if caching and CDN are setup correctly.
    If you have thousands of customers browsing simultaneously tens of thousands of products, a VPS is not for you.

Thanked by 2laoban yoursunny