Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ramhost, TinyVZ, TinyKVM? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ramhost, TinyVZ, TinyKVM?

Comments

• @ramnet - thats awesome! I'm looking forward until you activate my service. :)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @ramnet ^ me too ;)

• @ramnet, I as well! I have the TinyKVM and TinyVZ both waiting to be activated =O!

• Well, I've just received mine.
    Paid on Thursday, got it on Sunday. Well within the 3 business day expectation.

Seems rather nippy, the disk speed is consistently ~180MB/sec.
    My only moan is that the routing is a little odd from my location (Manchester). It's going through Amsterdam, then back to London O_o.

• AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
    edited March 2012

Just got both my TinyKVM and TinyVZ... woohoo! =D

Dear Edward L,

We are pleased to tell you that the server you ordered has now been set up and is operational.

• I just got mine! :) Lets try this out.

• nocomnocom Member

Just received mine with OS

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

@ElliotJ can you post a traceroute of that? The network on TinyVZ is a budget Hurricane + Cogent mix, but both of those carriers have a good presence @ London / LINX

All orders in the queue have now been processed.

• fanfan Veteran

@DotVPS said: @ramnet , What's with the weird no ssh installed to start with? I thought the VM was broke.

If that was TinyVZ, I guess it's similar to ramhost OpenVZ ones, then you should log in the host node using you username/pw to access your VM for the first time. This should be on the control panel or help page IIRC.

@DotVPS that's just how we've always done things. A bit different to what some are used to with the popular panels like SolusVM or VePortal, but then again, we were around before both of those popular management panels existed, and we never bothered to change how we've done things, since it works well for us.

I think it's a bit more secure to not have servers running sshd's by default, and at the same time, it reduces our support load since if anything inside somebody's vps breaks rendering it inaccessible, people will remember the out of band console is always there, instead of expecting us to go in and fix their broken sshd and/or iptables rules.

We also have a few people that choose to run without installing their own sshd, which can be nice for the extremely paranoid (people like that do exist).

It also better matches how our KVM services are offered via an OOB console, and consistency is never a bad thing :-)

• @ramnet said: people will remember the out of band console is always there, instead of expecting us to go in and fix their broken sshd and/or iptables rules.

Genius.

• ya I was surprised by the setup as well. Was like Woaah! What happened here?! But then it makes sense now. :P

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited March 2012

@ramnet

tracert 146.185.21.161

Tracing route to 146.185.21.161 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
      2    18 ms     8 ms    31 ms  10.138.4.1
      3     8 ms     8 ms     9 ms  bagu-core-2b-ae3-1419.network.virginmedia.net [80.5.167.241]
      4    23 ms    30 ms    11 ms  leed-bb-1b-ae7-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.5.161.245]
      5    18 ms    47 ms    16 ms  popl-bb-1a-as1-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.175.130]
      6    36 ms    21 ms    83 ms  popl-tmr-1-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.2]
      7    26 ms    39 ms    42 ms  amst-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.175.6]
      8    30 ms    60 ms    48 ms  ams-ix.ae1.cr1.ams2.nl.nlayer.net [195.69.145.219]
      9    27 ms    26 ms    25 ms  ae3-60g.cr1.ams2.nl.nlayer.net [69.22.139.238]
     10    30 ms    31 ms    30 ms  xe-5-3-0.cr1.lhr1.uk.nlayer.net [69.22.142.94]
     11    31 ms    34 ms    35 ms  ae1-70g.ar1.lhr1.uk.nlayer.net [69.22.139.63]
     12    30 ms    30 ms    31 ms  as13213.ae4.ar1.lhr1.uk.nlayer.net [69.22.139.46]
     13    34 ms    31 ms    31 ms  dc5.as13213.net [83.170.70.134]
     14    30 ms    31 ms    55 ms  vz69.uk.rhnx.net [46.23.68.98]
     15    70 ms    38 ms    36 ms  146.185.21.161

Trace complete.

It's worth adding, that it's causing no problems at all, and it's not the first time Virgin Media have done something similar.
    UK2/VirginMedia have an awkward peering, that's all I can say.

• the vps is cool. when i loaded centos 6 image, it was running with 1MB Ram, with a ssh it was 2Mb ;) saves a lot of work cleaning the unwanted mess. Hats off. Only thing you could improve is the support ticket response time. tinyvz clients are kind of abandoned ;( or is that only me ;(

• AmitzAmitz Member

I think that is the point. I had a Ramhost KVM and OpenVZ VPS some months ago. I loved them both and I can say nothing negative about RAMHost. But response time of support can be anything between 5mins and 24+ hours. At least for me.

edited March 2012

But response time of support can be anything between 5mins and 24+ hours.

Our support ticket responses are based on priority that we determine (somebody sees every ticket submitted as soon as it comes in, and if it is urgent they'll drop everything and deal with that ticket, and if it isn't it'll sit in the queue for a bit). Things that are low priority generally are let to sit in the queue a bit longer, whereas things requiring immediate attention are dealt with quickly.

If you want to see just how quick of a response you can get, send in a "server down" ticket :-P But if you send in something like a reverse dns update or a sales query, you can expect to wait a bit since things like that are lower priority.

This allows us to keep our prices reasonable while still responding quickly to important issues like outages, and letting non-urgent requests wait a few hours since they can.

• An news on tinyvz stock?I need one soon.

• @bijan588 said: An news on tinyvz stock?I need one soon.

You missed out, haha.

• How late am I :(

• haha, placed a order yestoday, I didn't miss it :)

I didn't know you was from the UK...

I'm over in the UK at the moment checking out some datacenters for further expansion.

• @pineapple said: haha, placed a order yestoday, I didn't miss it :)

OMG! That sucks so hard :(

@bijan588 I still see 5 left in our order system. Not sure why you think you missed anything.

• Ordered, cant wait till it gets setup. :D

• So uhh... I'm going to de-rail my own discussion and add some of my personal experience with TinyVZ(RamHost). So far I haven't dived much into their service except just messing around with their entire process the first day and installing an OS. The VM is speedy and responds just the way every VM should respond. The connections are solid and everything is good. So far I haven't even touched it after my last ssh connection which was around 7 days ago and uptime has been up for the last 7 days. I have seen VMs just go down even without me doing anything so this is uptime even during idle is good for me. I'm not an expert expert with VM and linux but I will post a more detailed review here. Pony you have some competition here! I feel the heat rising in this arena. Game on people! :) Have a nice day everybody!

• @shunny: RamHost has been around for a while... they're not new; they're actually even older than the BuyVM brand.

• @AsuraHosting - Correct. But hasn't their TinyVZ offers been up recently perhaps a year or two?

• @shunny: Where'd you get that information from? LOL. @ramnet, please let this guy know what's up.

We launched TinyVZ in October 2011.

RamHost as a company has been around since January 2009.

• @AsuraHosting - Alrighty man, chill~ Thanks @ramnet for providing the dates. So TinyVZ was rather recent. I know that RamNet has been around for a while.