Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


NickyZai NUC Dedicated Server Review: Fantastic Support, Exotic Location, Decent CPU, Cost-effective
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

NickyZai NUC Dedicated Server Review: Fantastic Support, Exotic Location, Decent CPU, Cost-effective

FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

2 weeks ago, Nicky posted an offer thread regarding their Asia Affordable Dedicated NUC Hosting - Starting from $17.50/month.

I am always on the hunt for an impossible low-cost dedicated server in Asia with an integrated GPU (< $25/m). While it is possible to get a similar price dedicated server easily in Europe/US, this price in Asia (even without iGPU) is very difficult. Needless to say, I bought one to test hence the review :D

During the process, I made some mistakes which resulted in needing him to reboot the machine physically for me multiple times. Despite me bothering him so many times, he responded to most of my messages within 2 hours. Thanks @nickyzai for the great support so far!

Some of you might be wondering did he hosts this in his basement? No, this is a proper Tier-3 datacenter (CX2, Cyberjaya, Malaysia) that peered with all major local ISPs (AS131310).

Personally, I feel it could be great to use it as a Plex/Transcoding server or even make it a simple 720p Cloud Gaming machine with its iGPU. The performance is not going to be great but still noticeable when doing 3D/Video Encoding compare to pure CPU only in VPS.


My Specs:

  • Intel NUC8i3BEH
  • Intel i3-8109U (2 Cores/4 Threads)
  • Integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
  • 8GB DDR4
  • 240GB M.2 SATA SSD
  • 20 x IPv4 NAT Ports + 1 x /64 IPv6
  • Unmetered @ 100Mbps
  • $17.50/month

Pros:

  • Budget dedicated server with iGPU (Good for running Plex/Transcoding, Emulator, simple 720p Cloud Gaming)
  • Exotic location (Asia)
  • Fantastic support
  • Decent Asia routing / latency
  • Highly Customisable (Can contact them for quotes on different configurations such as huge HDD for Plex)

Cons:

  • IPMI / remote console is request-basis (Not dedicated)
  • 100Mbps only (Upgradable)
  • Most parts of the IPv6 internet is still not routable (They are fixing this)
  • NAT IPv4 only

Looking Glass: http://lg.nickyzai.com:8082/

Full Disclosure: I only used their service for ~12 days, if something changed I will update this thread. (Most likely when I reached 30 and 90 days of using it)


Benchmarks / Network Test

dnstools.ws

| Location          | Latency |
| ----------------- | ------- |
| Perth, Australia  | 224.8ms |
| Sydney, Australia | 103.6ms |
| Austria           | 163ms   |
| Belgium           | 218.8ms |
| Bulgaria          | 193.8ms |
| Canada            | 253.4ms |
| Estonia           | 174ms   |
| Finland           | 174ms   |
| France            | 144ms   |
| Germany           | 203ms   |
| Italy             | 145ms   |
| Japan             | 82ms    |
| London            | 238ms   |
| Luxembourg        | 212.2ms |
| Norway            | 175.2ms |
| Netherlands       | 159.4ms |
| New Zealand       | 126ms   |
| Poland            | 193ms   |
| Romania           | 186.8ms |
| Russia            | 174ms   |
| Singapore         | 8.9ms   |
| South Africa      | 228ms   |
| Spain             | 151.6ms |
| Sweden            | 222.6ms |
| Taiwan            | 67.6ms  |
| Las Vegas, USA    | 192.2ms |
| New York, USA     | 218.4ms |

ping.pe

YABS

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2021-06-05                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Mon 09 Aug 2021 11:25:16 PM +08

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Processor  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8109U CPU @ 3.00GHz
CPU cores  : 4 @ 3600.479 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
RAM        : 7.6 GiB
Swap       : 977.0 MiB
Disk       : 78.8 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
---------------------------------
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 83.15 MB/s   (20.7k) | 103.96 MB/s   (1.6k)
Write      | 83.37 MB/s   (20.8k) | 104.51 MB/s   (1.6k)
Total      | 166.53 MB/s  (41.6k) | 208.48 MB/s   (3.2k)
           |                      |
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 112.03 MB/s    (218) | 115.23 MB/s    (112)
Write      | 117.98 MB/s    (230) | 122.91 MB/s    (120)
Total      | 230.02 MB/s    (448) | 238.14 MB/s    (232)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
---------------------------------
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                |                           |                 |
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 87.2 Mbits/sec  | 79.6 Mbits/sec
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 83.7 Mbits/sec  | 28.1 Mbits/sec
WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 84.8 Mbits/sec  | 71.3 Mbits/sec
Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 92.7 Mbits/sec  | 96.6 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 80.6 Mbits/sec  | 42.9 Mbits/sec
Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | busy            | 17.9 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 38.5 Mbits/sec  | 50.3 Mbits/sec
Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | 7.35 Mbits/sec

Monster.bench

 ## Global Speedtest.net

 Location                       Upload           Download         Ping
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Nearby                         93.20 Mbit/s     96.30 Mbit/s     10.517 ms
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 USA, New York (Optimum)        38.34 Mbit/s     13.62 Mbit/s    219.692 ms
 USA, Chicago (Windstream)      48.07 Mbit/s     10.10 Mbit/s    201.535 ms
 USA, Dallas (Frontier)         56.33 Mbit/s     12.72 Mbit/s    213.270 ms
 USA, Miami (Sprint)            17.30 Mbit/s     13.09 Mbit/s    248.642 ms
 USA, Los Angeles (Windstream)  33.74 Mbit/s     8.93 Mbit/s     235.908 ms
 UK, London (toob Ltd)          59.68 Mbit/s     21.48 Mbit/s    160.669 ms
 France, Lyon (SFR)             37.95 Mbit/s     15.50 Mbit/s    166.447 ms
 Germany, Berlin (DNS:NET)      55.34 Mbit/s     18.62 Mbit/s    187.037 ms
 Spain, Madrid (MasMovil)       44.96 Mbit/s     16.28 Mbit/s    186.775 ms
 Italy, Rome (Unidata)          57.23 Mbit/s     33.75 Mbit/s    168.561 ms
 Russia, Moscow (Rostelecom)    35.66 Mbit/s     13.14 Mbit/s    208.792 ms
 Israel, Haifa (013Netvision)   52.64 Mbit/s     15.12 Mbit/s    227.756 ms
 India, New Delhi (Weebo)       87.20 Mbit/s     62.91 Mbit/s     75.196 ms
 Singapore (FirstMedia)         91.36 Mbit/s     76.62 Mbit/s     15.171 ms
 Japan, Tsukuba (SoftEther)     86.10 Mbit/s     60.72 Mbit/s     80.844 ms
 Australia, Sydney (Optus)      65.90 Mbit/s     48.56 Mbit/s    101.141 ms
 RSA, Randburg (Cool Ideas)     20.93 Mbit/s     25.37 Mbit/s    227.533 ms
 Brazil, Sao Paulo (Criare)     14.97 Mbit/s     7.46 Mbit/s     329.143 ms
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 ## Asia Speedtest.net

 Location                         Upload           Download         Ping
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Nearby                           92.84 Mbit/s     93.68 Mbit/s     7.926 ms
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 India, New Delhi (Weebo)         82.41 Mbit/s     58.25 Mbit/s     74.428 ms
 India, Mumbai (SevenStar)        81.80 Mbit/s     61.92 Mbit/s     65.530 ms
 India, Bengaluru (I-ON)          84.18 Mbit/s     60.89 Mbit/s     48.449 ms
 Sri Lanka, Colombo (Telecom PLC) 37.84 Mbit/s     46.57 Mbit/s     76.792 ms
 Pakistan, Islamabad (Telenor)    60.34 Mbit/s     37.63 Mbit/s    112.515 ms
 Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar (Mobicom)  62.86 Mbit/s     36.75 Mbit/s    122.529 ms
 Bangladesh, Dhaka (Skytel)       92.30 Mbit/s     65.80 Mbit/s     55.415 ms
 Bhutan, Thimphu (Bhutan Telecom) 82.48 Mbit/s     48.45 Mbit/s     81.621 ms
 Myanmar, Mandalay (Ooredoo)      79.30 Mbit/s     49.16 Mbit/s     91.252 ms
 Laos, Vientaine (Mangkone)       70.87 Mbit/s     57.78 Mbit/s     72.207 ms
 Thailand, Bangkok (CAT Telecom)  83.09 Mbit/s     44.23 Mbit/s     64.600 ms
 Cambodia, Phnom Penh (Smart)     8.45 Mbit/s      65.79 Mbit/s     50.022 ms
 Vietnam, Hanoi (Viettel)         97.78 Mbit/s     63.65 Mbit/s     61.256 ms
 Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur (Extreme) 87.45 Mbit/s     89.62 Mbit/s      1.409 ms
 Singapore (PT FirstMedia)        9.07 Mbit/s      73.23 Mbit/s     51.699 ms
 Indonesia, Jakarta (Desnet)      90.40 Mbit/s     92.52 Mbit/s     21.172 ms
 Philippines, Manila (Globe Tel)  39.80 Mbit/s     25.53 Mbit/s     53.107 ms
 Hong Kong (fdcservers)           88.70 Mbit/s     75.80 Mbit/s     44.296 ms
 Taiwan, Taipei (TAIFO)           31.16 Mbit/s     66.25 Mbit/s     64.172 ms
 Japan, Tsukuba (SoftEther)       77.43 Mbit/s     46.79 Mbit/s     81.267 ms
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanked by 3nickyzai SinSiXX wpyoga

Comments

  • bruh21bruh21 Member

    no geekbench?

  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

    @bruh21 said:
    no geekbench?

    Kinda pointless since the CPU is fully dedicated (hence the dedicated server), but let me run one for you :)

    Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    ---------------------------------
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 998
    Multi Core      | 2248
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/9246290
    
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

    @FAT32

    Nice find!

    Btw, in case you are interested i can point you to a download of my benchmark (linux amd64) and I can provide a network target file too. Just PM me if you are interested (I'm also willing to do it myself but I guess you wouldn't feel well giving me access).

    Thanked by 1FAT32
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

    Running @jsg self-developed binary for testing :D

    Note: Performance might not be exactly bare-metal as I am running in a LXC container (well, for security purpose of running an unknown script)

    Machine: amd64, Arch.: x86_64, Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8109U CPU @ 3.00GHz
    OS, version: Linux 5.4.128, Mem.: 7.660 GB
    CPU - Cores: 2, Family/Model/Stepping: 6/142/10
    Cache: 32K/32K L1d/L1i, 256K L2, 4M L3
    Std. Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
              pse36 cflsh ds acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss htt tm pbe sse3 pclmulqdq
              dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid
              sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline aes xsave osxsave avx
              f16c rdrnd
    Ext. Flags: fsgsbase tsc_adjust sgx bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid fpcsds mpx
              rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm
              lahf_lm lzcnt
    
    [T] 2021-08-10T02:16:21Z
    ----- Processor and Memory -----
    [PM-SC] 413.99 MB/s     (testSize: 2.0 GB)
    [PM-MA] 792.26 MB/s     (testSize: 2.0 GB)
    [PM-MB] 795.80 MB/s     (testSize: 4.0 GB)
    ----- Disk -----
    [D] Total size per test = 2048.00 MB, Mode: Buf'd
    [D] Wr Seq:   807.19 MB/s
    [D] Wr Rnd:  1783.90 MB/s
    [D] Rd Seq:   372.11 MB/s
    [D] Rd Rnd:  5474.11 MB/s
    [D] Total size per test = 2048.00 MB, Mode: Sync
    [D] Wr Seq:   118.46 MB/s
    [D] Wr Rnd:   176.75 MB/s
    [D] Rd Seq:  1793.91 MB/s
    [D] Rd Rnd:  5697.64 MB/s
    ----- Network -----
    [N] speedtest.lon02.softlayer.com   UK LON:, P: 159.6 ms WP: 159.8 ms, DL:   25.44 Mb/s
    [N] mirror.nl.leaseweb.net          NL AMS:, P: 174.9 ms WP: 174.9 ms, DL:   27.83 Mb/s
    [N] speedtest.c1.mel1.dediserve.com AU MEL:, P: 103.6 ms WP: 106.2 ms, DL:   46.14 Mb/s
    [N] speedtest.che01.softlayer.com   IN CHN:, P:  41.6 ms WP:  41.6 ms, DL:    0.00 Mb/s (http status: 1500000)
    [N] mirror.sg.leaseweb.net          SG SGP:, P:   8.3 ms WP:   8.3 ms, DL:   92.75 Mb/s
    [N] fra.lg.core-backbone.com        DE FRA:, P: 190.1 ms WP: 190.1 ms, DL:   28.37 Mb/s
    [N] speedtest.mil01.softlayer.com   IT MIL:, P: 184.7 ms WP: 186.3 ms, DL:   28.85 Mb/s
    [N] speedtest.par01.softlayer.com   FR PAR:, P: 161.6 ms WP: 161.6 ms, DL:    0.00 Mb/s (http status: 1500000)
    [N] speedtest.hostkey.ru            RU MOS:, P: 174.5 ms WP: 174.5 ms, DL:   56.38 Mb/s
    [N] speedtest.sao01.softlayer.com   BR SAO:, P: 364.2 ms WP: 364.2 ms, DL:    0.00 Mb/s
    [N] speedtest.dal05.softlayer.com   US DAL:, P: 224.0 ms WP: 225.4 ms, DL:   23.60 Mb/s
    [N] speedtest.sjc01.softlayer.com   US SJC:, P: 185.8 ms WP: 186.0 ms, DL:   30.27 Mb/s
    [N] lax.download.datapacket.com     US LAX:, P: 237.1 ms WP: 239.8 ms, DL:   34.37 Mb/s
    [N] mirror.wdc1.us.leaseweb.net     US WDC:, P: 245.5 ms WP: 245.5 ms, DL:   24.33 Mb/s
    [N] nyc.download.datapacket.com     US NYC:, P: 249.7 ms WP: 249.7 ms, DL:   29.60 Mb/s
    [N] speedtest.tokyo2.linode.com     JP TOK:, P:  83.4 ms WP:  83.4 ms, DL:   39.63 Mb/s
    [N] 185.183.99.8                    RO BUC:, P: 225.2 ms WP: 225.2 ms, DL:   22.33 Mb/s
    [N] speedtest.ftp.otenet.gr         GR UNK:, P:   0.0 ms WP:   0.0 ms, DL:    0.00 Mb/s
    [N] 185.65.204.169                  TR UNK:, P: 288.0 ms WP: 290.4 ms, DL:   53.39 Mb/s
    [N] speedtest.osl01.softlayer.com   NO OSL:, P: 180.2 ms WP: 180.2 ms, DL:   29.88 Mb/s
    [N] mirror.hk.leaseweb.net          CN HK :, P:  43.6 ms WP:  44.0 ms, DL:   28.87 Mb/s
    
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

    Wow, that seems to be a very nice box! That's almost what I would expect from a Ryzen with a quite decent NVMe. Really nice!

    Guys, anyone in Asia-Pacific looking for a nice dedi deal: absolutely have a look at http://nickyzai.com for those dedis @FAT32 recommended!

    Thanked by 2FAT32 nickyzai
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited August 10

    @jsg said:
    Wow, that seems to be a very nice box! That's almost what I would expect from a Ryzen with a quite decent NVMe. Really nice!

    Guys, anyone in Asia-Pacific looking for a nice dedi deal: absolutely have a look at http://nickyzai.com for those dedis FAT32 recommended!

    That disk is a WD Blue 250GB M.2 SATA, if you go for i5 and above you get NVMe :)

    Thanked by 1jsg
  • @nickyzai do you provide colocation for something like a raspberry Pi 4?

  • nickyzainickyzai Member, Provider

    @FAT32 said:
    ```

    Thanks for the review bro @FAT32 ;) Hope you like the NUC.

    @jsg said:
    Wow, that seems to be a very nice box! That's almost what I would expect from a Ryzen with a quite decent NVMe. Really nice!

    Guys, anyone in Asia-Pacific looking for a nice dedi deal: absolutely have a look at http://nickyzai.com for those dedis @FAT32 recommended!

    Thanks for the recommendation. :)

    @codelock said:
    @nickyzai do you provide colocation for something like a raspberry Pi 4?

    Yea, we can discuss about it if you wanted to colo your RPi4. ;)

    Thanked by 1FAT32
  • NAT IPv4 only is a major problem and a no go. Why there is no normal IP?

  • @LTniger said: NAT IPv4 only is a major problem and a no go. Why there is no normal IP?

    Have you seen the prices on ipv4.global?

  • @stevewatson301 said:

    @LTniger said: NAT IPv4 only is a major problem and a no go. Why there is no normal IP?

    Have you seen the prices on ipv4.global?

    Of course, but it is not a reason to offer nat :o . Nat servers is toys without real world usage option. Nickyzai website is half backed, order links are lorem ipsums. Is it really safe to order?

  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited August 10

    @LTniger said:
    Of course, but it is not a reason to offer nat :o . Nat servers is toys without real world usage option. Nickyzai website is half backed, order links are lorem ipsums. Is it really safe to order?

    In Exotic location like Malaysia, some datacenters charge $5-10/m for just 1 additional IPv4. Last I heard from Nicky he is trying to negotiate for cheaper IPv4 but we will see.

    We (LET mods/OGs) did some background check on LET new providers and NickyZai seems legit and have good records of past hosting experience on private game servers. He also have proper business registered and is not hiding behind anything.

    You can check and order from https://billing.nickyzai.com instead


    Edit: However, it is best to do your own due diligence while purchasing any services online

    Thanked by 1LTniger
  • Saw their offer after it was posted but I have high storage requirements. If it were around 450GB SSD or NVMe :(

  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited August 10

    @sayem314 said:
    Saw their offer after it was posted but I have high storage requirements. If it were around 450GB SSD or NVMe :(

    Can always ask @nickyzai for upgrades :) - I asked him and would say their price for upgrade is reasonable

    Thanked by 1sayem314
  • @FAT32 said:

    @sayem314 said:
    Saw their offer after it was posted but I have high storage requirements. If it were around 450GB SSD or NVMe :(

    Can always ask @nickyzai for upgrades :) - I asked him and would say their price for upgrade is reasonable

    Nice. Currently discussing with another provider but I will keep an eye on them. In their next offer, I might grab one. Hope they increase storage space without increasing prices :smiley:

    Thanked by 1FAT32
  • nickyzainickyzai Member, Provider

    @LTniger said:
    NAT IPv4 only is a major problem and a no go. Why there is no normal IP?

    We are still trying our best to get more IPv4 that can be offered to LET community. It is because of the bundled deals with the DC operator one the special use case with low power devices in DC racks.

    @sayem314 said:

    @FAT32 said:

    @sayem314 said:
    Saw their offer after it was posted but I have high storage requirements. If it were around 450GB SSD or NVMe :(

    Can always ask @nickyzai for upgrades :) - I asked him and would say their price for upgrade is reasonable

    Nice. Currently discussing with another provider but I will keep an eye on them. In their next offer, I might grab one. Hope they increase storage space without increasing prices :smiley:

    I am open for discussion for any customization, mix and match, but I can't promise you on the price itself.

  • Legit! Been using 2 servers from him and very approachable.

    Thanked by 2FAT32 nickyzai
  • @FAT32 said:

    @jsg said:
    Wow, that seems to be a very nice box! That's almost what I would expect from a Ryzen with a quite decent NVMe. Really nice!

    Guys, anyone in Asia-Pacific looking for a nice dedi deal: absolutely have a look at http://nickyzai.com for those dedis FAT32 recommended!

    That disk is a WD Blue 250GB M.2 SATA, if you go for i5 and above you get NVMe :)

    Lol

  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited August 12

    @TimboJones said:

    That disk is a WD Blue 250GB M.2 SATA, if you go for i5 and above you get NVMe :)

    Lol

    M.2 is the form factor and SATA is the standard. There's also M.2 NVMe which is what is being used for their i5+ range.

    In case you have doubts, check their official website :)

    https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-us/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sata-m-2-ssd

  • @FAT32 said:

    @TimboJones said:

    That disk is a WD Blue 250GB M.2 SATA, if you go for i5 and above you get NVMe :)

    Lol

    M.2 is the form factor and SATA is the standard. There's also M.2 NVMe which is what is being used for their i5+ range.

    In case you have doubts, check their official website :)

    https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-us/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sata-m-2-ssd

    No, sorry, I was laughing at the nonsensical disk numbers from the non-yabs bench. But I'll leave it at that.

  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

    @TimboJones said:

    @FAT32 said:

    @TimboJones said:

    That disk is a WD Blue 250GB M.2 SATA, if you go for i5 and above you get NVMe :)

    Lol

    M.2 is the form factor and SATA is the standard. There's also M.2 NVMe which is what is being used for their i5+ range.

    In case you have doubts, check their official website :)

    https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-us/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sata-m-2-ssd

    No, sorry, I was laughing at the nonsensical disk numbers from the non-yabs bench. But I'll leave it at that.

    If you understood how it works you would not laugh.
    Explanation (again): Usually the OS running on the VM caches. Beneath that the OS on the node caches too. Plus there often is a cache on the Raid controller.

    Result: a SSD is not limited to ca. 550 MB (Sata 6 Gb); the device itself is but not what an OS read or write call delivers. I've seen quite a few SSDs with values seeming to come from a NVMe. Also unlike many scripts (which you seem to like) my benchmark software does not "measure" a read/write mix.

  • @jsg said:

    @TimboJones said:

    @FAT32 said:

    @TimboJones said:

    That disk is a WD Blue 250GB M.2 SATA, if you go for i5 and above you get NVMe :)

    Lol

    M.2 is the form factor and SATA is the standard. There's also M.2 NVMe which is what is being used for their i5+ range.

    In case you have doubts, check their official website :)

    https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-us/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sata-m-2-ssd

    No, sorry, I was laughing at the nonsensical disk numbers from the non-yabs bench. But I'll leave it at that.

    If you understood how it works you would not laugh.
    Explanation (again): Usually the OS running on the VM caches. Beneath that the OS on the node caches too. Plus there often is a cache on the Raid controller.

    Result: a SSD is not limited to ca. 550 MB (Sata 6 Gb); the device itself is but not what an OS read or write call delivers. I've seen quite a few SSDs with values seeming to come from a NVMe. Also unlike many scripts (which you seem to like) my benchmark software does not "measure" a read/write mix.

    Just sanity check your number. Copy a 4GB ISO from one place on the SSD to another and time it. Is it closer to 120MB/s or 800MB/s?

  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Provider

    @codelock said:
    @nickyzai do you provide colocation for something like a raspberry Pi 4?

    we might know someone.

Sign In or Register to comment.