Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good is OVH's new lineup for vps providers/hosts/virtualization projects?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How good is OVH's new lineup for vps providers/hosts/virtualization projects?

So today OVH has unleashed its new lineup of servers which targets hosts, vps providers & virtualization geeks, what do you think about quality of the hardware offered & this lineup in general? They also include 16 IPV4 addresses by default.

http://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/hosting/

OVH's new lineup "Hosting"
  1. What do you think of OVH's new lineup of servers called "Hosting"?34 votes
    1. Excellent
        8.82%
    2. Very Good
        5.88%
    3. Good
        2.94%
    4. Average
      11.76%
    5. Bad
      17.65%
    6. Worst
      38.24%
    7. Not sure
      14.71%

Comments

• I don't think I would sign up to any service that has a 100 euro setup fee.. my kimsufi special was 119 euro for the year!

• @earl said:
    I don't think I would sign up to any service that has a 100 euro setup fee.. my kimsufi special was 119 euro for the year!

why not if the server quality is good?

• There is so many good offers coming out nowadays that I don't feel I can commit long enough to any one deal..

having to pay such a steep setup fee would make feel I need to stick around to get my moneys worth..

• I checked it too spending 100 Euros for setup is not good, I have a coupon code and I can get the server right away however when I saw the setup stepped back.

• 100 euros is like $135.63 USD. I can get a six core phenom with datashack @ 29/mo, that's close to 5 months worth of service for what OVH charge as a setup fee.

But I'm sure there will be people lining up to buy this service from OVH.. just too many people with money to burn! but honestly with the last fiasco I would not trust OVH with anything of importance, they are so volatile who know what they have planned for tomorrow!

• even without setup fee, who would sign up with ovh to use with vps hosting?

• @jcaleb said:
    even without setup fee, who would sign up with ovh to use with vps hosting?

I've seen one or two providers offer this.. but think it's mainly in the BHS location in Canada, so far I have to say that OVH in Canada is pretty good.. hopefully it will stay that way..

• earl said: 100 euros is like $135.63 USD. I can get a six core phenom with datashack @ 29/mo, that's close to 5 months worth of service for what OVH charge as a setup fee.

Considering it's OVH - these prices are definitely high. I think those super low prices were just a stunt. Not going to get there.

We kept thinking we can't compete with OVH offers... but now... lol.

Thanked by 3earl Maounique tux
  • OVH charge a special package for more IP's.

• I thought OVH's whole thing was cheap budget servers and the SoYouStart whatever was their idea of getting into the business market?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I see it as a good step towards sustainable business, but I am not sure the market will like it.
    First, the AMD is a no-no for many people that never tried them and are influenced by Intel propaganda.
    Second, the setup fee seems rather designed to help them with the cash flow in the short term, than to reduce the churn rate.
    The IPs allocated are too many for the individual and who will be hosting from there anymore ?
    OVH had a good model some 2 years ago but managed to break it. Besides me and a few other people closely involved most of the public had no idea about their arrogance and support issues, now they managed to make it clear for everyone they are unreliable at least.

• They were one of the few providers who charged one time fees for IP's now they charge like 1 Euro per IP.

• AMD's? Hosting? Bleaugh.

• Rallias said: AMD's? Hosting? Bleaugh.

I agree.

• VPNVPN Member
    edited November 2013

@Rallias said:
    AMD's? Hosting? Bleaugh.

+1

I'm of the school that you should stick with Xeon E3 or E5 CPUs when doing anything as hardware intense as virtualization but then I am just a very particular guy ha.

I have seen some hosts offering dedicated servers with Celeron CPUs which makes me cringe.

• OkieDoke said: I'm of the school that you should stick with Xeon E3 or E5 CPUs when doing anything as hardware intense as visualization but then I am just a very particular guy ha.

Hell, you should stick to Xeon E3 or E5 CPU's for anything that needs a space-efficient computing resource. Granted, if you're in supercomputing and don't mind trading space-efficiency for price efficiency, AMD's your choice. For hosting though, ALWAYS go Xeon E3 or E5 (or E7)

• What's wrong with AMD? My current main vps hosted on AMD node. But still kicking great.

• Nothing's wrong with AMD, just that most people recognize the brand "Intel" better and prefer it. For some things AMD offers better performance per dollar.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited November 2013

There is absolutely nothing wrong with AMD. My current desktop computer is powered on 24/7 and has been since December of 2011, this is an AMD APU we're talking about here, if you don't have any idea what an APU is, go look it up. AMD is just as reliable as Intel, if not more.

• I know there's nothing wrong with AMD and i know what AMD APU is. :D The cost is cheaper and i think it's more suitable for low end market.

• OVH is not recommended anyway for something serious like vps hosting

• emreemre Member, LIR

DISK I/O is the king.

I don't think about offering anything below Raid10 and a decent HW raid card.

Better be a multiple core Opteron chip, 8 cheap disks in Raid10 and Here you go perfect LEB.

• I can't believe they needed to take so much time off to come up with such a crappy plan..

• The real question is who is going to trust OVH for starting a VPS hosting business there. Several providers did in the past and got screwed... hard.

Thanked by 1earl
  • rds100 said: The real question is who is going to trust OVH for starting a VPS hosting business there. Several providers did in the past and got screwed... hard.

Yeah most screwed.I believe it is because of the support

• @ftpit said:
    OVH is not recommended anyway for something serious like vps hosting

Altinsoft.net have been using them for years & are pretty successful.Same is the case with SupremeBytes & many others.

• ftpit said: eah most screwed.I believe it is because of the support

Also they got screwed with the IPs / IP prices.

• Sledger said: Altinsoft.net have been using them for years & are pretty successful.Same is the case with SupremeBytes & many others.

I am not sure if they get any extra premium support of they own lots of servers.From most what I heard is pathetic support

• They used to have a 64Gb E5-1650 with 2x 300GB SSD and 2x 2TB SATA with option for 128 IPs, sad to see it dissapear

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited November 2013

@c0y said:
    They used to have a 64Gb E5-1650 with 2x 300GB SSD and 2x 2TB SATA with option for 128 IPs, sad to see it dissapear

have you clicked on the options? same options are available with 256 IPs now

and same E5-1650 is available as well

http://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/enterprise/

Here we are discussing their offers for hosting providers as they have 3 types of offers now Enterprise, Hosting & Infrastructure