Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

really, aren't most servers full of security holes? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

really, aren't most servers full of security holes?

2»

Comments

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited August 2021

Dude, this is done because we don't RTFM. If you're a paid server administrator and not using SELinux, you're probably incompetent. Security is hard, expecting it to be easy means you don't understand the problem.

How many people who come to seek VPS deals on LET are paid server administrators?

How many of them RTFM, those manuals and those man screens which contain more than enough lines of text to cause a professional's eye to glaze over, when all they want to do to run the Wordpress, Minecraft or whatever?

I'm sure when you purchase a new VM you have a whole set of scripts ready to run to bring it to the state you want in a few minutes, or you copy your own preconfigured images over the stock image provided which is even quicker and easier.

How many of the providers here have demonstrated signs of your skills, let alone their customers?

There is a whole new server deployer demographic that the lead distros don't address and have never addressed, and are never ever likely to.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Best way to stop hacking on your idlers:
    Go to control panel and shut off, or type the following command: sudo shutdown

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2021

It's worth mentioning that having an automated build process and deploying with containers is a good security pattern.

On build you're using a (hopefully) clean OS image on which you apt update && apt upgrade. And on each upgrade you're deploying your trusted image.

This way you won't have some backdoor and share your server with a cracker on the long run.

There's much to be said about security and it's process not a one time job. And definitely not a 0/1 - secure/insecure.

I've noticed that a common pattern to have your account/server cracked is to not do regular updates on OS, libs, script, plugins etc. Without regular updates random bots you'll find your vulnerabilities. Once you're up to date, it's just the very well targeted attacks you need to worry about, sometimes based on social engineering.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

With lot of security problem found (list is not full): Linux and FreeBSD and Microsoft kernels, Intel and AMD processors and of course additional software - each PC and each server is not protected by default. Some tips and triks can minimize dangerous issue but we may not knew about 0-day exploits. So, i am agreed with TS. Some attempt to make not experienced user life less dangerous and more secure already exist on market at the same time. Let's say https://www.imunify360.com for example.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

This thread is depressing. It just reminds me that I have to secure all of my idles that are out in the wild now...

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @rchurch said:

Dude, this is done because we don't RTFM. If you're a paid server administrator and not using SELinux, you're probably incompetent. Security is hard, expecting it to be easy means you don't understand the problem.

How many people who come to seek VPS deals on LET are paid server administrators?

More than any other site I go to.

How many of them RTFM, those manuals and those man screens which contain more than enough lines of text to cause a professional's eye to glaze over, when all they want to do to run the Wordpress, Minecraft or whatever?

I'm sure when you purchase a new VM you have a whole set of scripts ready to run to bring it to the state you want in a few minutes, or you copy your own preconfigured images over the stock image provided which is even quicker and easier.

How many of the providers here have demonstrated signs of your skills, let alone their customers?

There is a whole new server deployer demographic that the lead distros don't address and have never addressed, and are never ever likely to.

That's correct, it's a server. Desktops are what devs target for hand holding inexperienced or lazy and servers for administrators. If you want a pretty easy to use solution, use something that make things easy, like ClearOS. The big distros are general purpose built, that's why there's a million favours to deal with all the different defaults and value added for making a specific user experience.