Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Synology providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Synology providers?

Hello, do you know of any providers out there offering Synology rentals?

Thanks!

Comments

• Ikoula does. They have a promo on too.
    https://www.ikoula.com/en/dedicated-server#synology

Thanked by 1emilv
  • Thank, yeah I'm going over it now but noticed that only the most expensive option has 1Gbit, the others only 100Mb/s. :neutral:

• JioJio Member
    edited August 2021

I've used the Marvell and Realtek SOC Synology here. Even on LAN directly cabled it can barely hit 100 Mbps and doing so maxes out cpu. If it's over TLS or any encryption (VPN, HTTPS, SSH, rsync, ..) I was lucky to get 20-30 Mbps.

I really really don't recommend the non-x86 synology for anything online, just local unencrypted NFS/samba mount windows share.

• It seems FirstHeberg has started offering storage servers (Synology and QNAP) with different configurations:

https://www.firstheberg.com/en/nas-server

They all have a gigabit pipe. I have only used their virtual servers in the past and they were good. I have no experience with their dedicated servers.

• adlyadly Veteran

The Realtek SOC NAS options out there are quite reasonably priced but can be a nightmare performance wise depending on the task. Really only suitable for home use.

• @adly said:
    The Realtek SOC NAS options out there are quite reasonably priced but can be a nightmare performance wise depending on the task. Really only suitable for home use.

This is just a wild guess, but I'd say it will perform okay as an storage server. NFS, Samba, iSCSI, whatever floats your boat.

At least, they are dedicated drives (not shared) like the nightmare that HS storage boxes were. The price point is not the same tho.

I'd strongly recommend looking into the cheap kimsufi boxes with 1TB or 2TB drives. They are dedicateds after all.

• @Pixels said: This is just a wild guess, but I'd say it will perform okay as an storage server. NFS, Samba, iSCSI, whatever floats your boat.

NFS and Samba work fine locally, but if this is online you want encryption.

This thing is already maxed out 100% CPU doing 20 Mbps (2 MB) over openvpn

• @aiden1 said:

@Pixels said: This is just a wild guess, but I'd say it will perform okay as an storage server. NFS, Samba, iSCSI, whatever floats your boat.

NFS and Samba work fine locally, but if this is online you want encryption.

This thing is already maxed out 100% CPU doing 20 Mbps (2 MB) over openvpn

OpenVPN is known to be resource hungry. Use Wireguard instead.

• @Pixels said: OpenVPN is known to be resource hungry. Use Wireguard instead.

I also have WG, it makes no difference. There's no hardware accelerated encryption either.

• @aiden1 said:

@Pixels said: OpenVPN is known to be resource hungry. Use Wireguard instead.

I also have WG, it makes no difference. There's no hardware accelerated encryption either.

Hmm I see. Having a CPU with AES-NI hw acceleration is a must then.

It seems both CPU models in FirstHeberg offerings (AL314 and RTD1296) have some sort of hardware accelerated encryption engine.

• aiden1aiden1 Member
    edited August 2021

Yeah, make no mistake, these are great little boxes - VERY low power, it's great for unencrypted NFS on your local network as a network share.

But the side effect of that is they're using a CPU that is barely even ARM. Like embedded SoC board type CPUs, not even Atom, Celeron, or Ryzen Embedded. And if it's using one that is better than that, it's very likely that it's more expensive than a comparable normal dedicated server.

An Intel Atom (w/AES NI) synology with 4 drive bays is over $1400 MSRP here to purchase. At that point why would you not just buy a normal server, put a quad or 8 core Atom in it, and call it a day?

Thanked by 1adly