Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free vps, would you be interested? How to best sponsor free vms?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free vps, would you be interested? How to best sponsor free vms?

ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
edited August 2021 in General

Hello all!
I hope you're doing great.

I just saw this project https://microlxc.net/, and how they give away free VMs. I was thinking about doing the same here on lowendtalk, but without any special requirements.

My only concern is people using these for illegal stuff etc. I was wondering if you think it would be fine if I make it so you have to authorize your card via 3D secure for future payments (just to validate identity) before giving you a free VPS. Of course you can untick do not bill me automatically

I was also thinking about maybe limiting this offer to people in North America to again avoid it being used illegaly by excluding high risk countries.

The free VPS would be extended for 1 year at a time, and reevaluated every year to see if it can continue being free.

I'm unsure about specs but I'm thinking about something along these lines:

1 Core (fair usage 10%)
128 MB RAM
1.28GB SSD
20GB Traffic

Let me know what you think and what we at boomer.host can do to help the LET community.

Thanked by 2farsighter default

Comments

• If no price for the product. Then you are the product. Simple rule. Nothing is free.

Thanked by 1Tsukihi
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2021

@alshahad said:
    If no price for the product. Then you are the product. Simple rule. Nothing is free.

When someone is kind to you, you usually want to return the favor. I'm hoping to get more publicity this way and maybe people want to upgrade after a while

• btw, your site and VPSes are down

@Samidare said:
    btw, your site and VPSes are down

Yeah I know, the whole datacenter is down https://discord.gg/Evx2J5W9 check out their discord for more updates

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited August 2021

@Neoon's 50 post/6mo account requirements for MicroLXC/NanoKVM seems to filter out most of the shitters.

Sure some bad apples get in from time to time but it's not like a free-for-all abuse fiesta.

• @Samidare said:

he has not given an explanation except for a link to his discord where he wants to gather more users. I am going to remove the recommendation on one of my github projects now.

@dgc1980 said:

@Samidare said:

he has not given an explanation except for a link to his discord where he wants to gather more users. I am going to remove the recommendation on one of my github projects now.

uhh, it's not my discord, it's @DataIdeas-Josh , the datacenter discord. I do not know what is going on, it's out of my control

• JioJio Member

@dgc1980 said: he has not given an explanation except for a link to his discord where he wants to gather more users. I am going to remove the recommendation on one of my github projects now.

No one cares, you're free to demand your SLA credit of USD $0.01

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2021

Good day,
    Our Cogent link has gone down and we are working on getting our other provider up to get some traffic moving.
    Thank you for working with us.
    ~Josh

Update: we have gotten one of our other providers up and should start taking routes.

Thanked by 1titus
  • @ezeth said: uhh, it's not my discord, it's @DataIdeas-Josh , the datacenter discord. I do not know what is going on, it's out of my control

it would be better to explain, sorry but the datacenter is currently down and I am trying to get in contact the people there and will update you when I am.

rather than just passing the buck.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • https://status.boomer.host

Offline Since 6hr 2min ago

:(

Thanked by 1dgc1980
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Still up and running over IPv6.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • adlyadly Veteran

@ezeth said: I was also thinking about maybe limiting this offer to people in North America to again avoid it being used illegaly by excluding high risk countries.

That may not achieve what you want, given that the US is one of the top sources of abusive content (spam, online child abuse, etc.). Yes, there are worse areas, typically countries located in Asia, but it will be better to filter another way such as how @Neoon does this with MicroLXC.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
    edited August 2021

@brueggus said:

Oh yeah that's true. You can still connect to the VPS via IPv6, and your VPS still has connectivity via it too

@titus said:
    https://status.boomer.host

Yeah it sucks. Hopefully you saw my "new and improved, I mean improvised" website https://boomer.host/

Thanked by 1titus
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@ezeth said:
    The free VPS would be extended for 1 year at a time, and reevaluated every year to see if it can continue being free.

1 Core (fair usage 10%)
    128 MB RAM
    1.28GB SSD
    20GB Traffic

Depends if it was NAT or if it had an IPv4 address..

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2021

@jmgcaguicla said:
    @Neoon's 50 post/6mo account requirements for MicroLXC/NanoKVM seems to filter out most of the shitters.

Sure some bad apples get in from time to time but it's not like a free-for-all abuse fiesta.

Works fine so far.

Thanked by 2MrH Ganonk

@kevinds said:

@ezeth said:

1 Core (fair usage 10%)
    128 MB RAM
    1.28GB SSD
    20GB Traffic

It would have its own IPv4

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited August 2021

@ezeth said:

@kevinds said:

@ezeth said:

1 Core (fair usage 10%)
    128 MB RAM
    1.28GB SSD
    20GB Traffic

It would have its own IPv4

Then I would have a use for it.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure that with the over-abundance of VPN services that restricting to North America is possible.. Where there is a will, there is a way...

• For that size of a VPS, I would definitely use it but it would primarily host a couple scripts for me. If the bandwidth cap was ever so slightly higher, I'd use it for VPN, especially that you said it shows up as a residential IP.

For both use cases, NAT IP is plenty actually! Thank you for considering this, this is most generous of us!! :)

@ezeth said:

@brueggus said:

Oh yeah that's true. You can still connect to the VPS via IPv6, and your VPS still has connectivity via it too

@titus said:
    https://status.boomer.host

Yeah it sucks. Hopefully you saw my "new and improved, I mean improvised" website https://boomer.host/

This should make @yoursunny very happy that v6 works. :)

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

This should make @yoursunny very happy that v6 works. :)

Yes of course :# love it!

• LESLES Member

What about paying a buck as a verification fee?

• CheepCluckCheepCluck Member
    edited August 2021

@LES said: What about paying a buck as a verification fee?

Not sure if Josh would appreciate if people start sending deer to his datacenter for a free VPS.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@LES said:
    What about paying a buck as a verification fee?

• LESLES Member

Alternatively, as trustworthy customers, we can always transfer hostsolutions credits!

• Ev******Host also offers free VPS if you link them back, and I suspect if you also write a positive review every 3 or 6 months you can keep the VPS until you give favors.

But @ezeth , you can give free vps with some criteria like User must be active on LET for 1 year, had made xx posts here, or having an active non-spammy site already hosted somewhere, and adding a no-follow link to your company to prove they own the site. Also you can block smtp ports, and restrict the usage as much as possible for the vps.

@CheepCluck said: ot sure if Josh would appreciate if people start sending deer to his datacenter for a free VPS.

Actually if you look very closely you might can see some around already.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@CheepCluck said: ot sure if Josh would appreciate if people start sending deer to his datacenter for a free VPS.

Actually if you look very closely you might can see some around already.

LOL!

• @ezeth said:
    Hello all!
    I hope you're doing great.

I just saw this project https://microlxc.net/, and how they give away free VMs. I was thinking about doing the same here on lowendtalk, but without any special requirements.

My only concern is people using these for illegal stuff etc. I was wondering if you think it would be fine if I make it so you have to authorize your card via 3D secure for future payments (just to validate identity) before giving you a free VPS. Of course you can untick do not bill me automatically

I was also thinking about maybe limiting this offer to people in North America to again avoid it being used illegaly by excluding high risk countries.

1 Core (fair usage 10%)
    128 MB RAM
    1.28GB SSD
    20GB Traffic

Let me know what you think and what we at boomer.host can do to help the LET community.

Downtime seems to be over. Please remove the plain HTML page now lol!

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited August 2021

Is it a scam? Asking outright just in case you aren't a smart scammer..