Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does server location make a big difference these days? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does server location make a big difference these days?

2»

Comments

• @yoursunny said:

@FAT32 said:
    Latency is still a limitation that can never be ignored, streaming RDP on 10ms and 200ms can make a big difference

To minimize latency, would you consider a server in the core of the Earth?
    I calculated that you can get 21ms one-way latency from anywhere in the world.

@imgmoney said:
    1) Image Host

I care about latency over here as my client wants to see all the images instantly. If the image size is just 100kb and if there is a latency of 200ms, you can find a noticeable difference in loading.

So I have servers in 20+ countries and so the average latency is less than 20ms

How do you ensure the closest server has the requested image?
    Do you replicate upon upload, or is it a forward-and-cache solution?

If you can drill a tunnel through core of earth it will just take 8 minutes for you to appear on other side of earth if you decided to jump inside it. Might be a good idea to start a train services with setup to catch the train on either end no fuel required .

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2021

@rm_ said:
    For websites and forums, not worth surrendering into the centralized ziggurat of CloudFlare

Full ACK.

Let's talk a bit about CloudF#%$! ...

For a start, do NOT believe the PR story of the (nice and generous, presumably) paying clients also paying for the free clients. That's BS and a big pile!

Here's how it really works:
    'Free product' means that in one way or another YOU are the product. Do you really believe that corporations who try hard to save yet another 2 cents on a $100 product and/or who happily sell out your personal data and/or who try hard to squeeze in yet another another ad suddenly turn generous and pay for your "free" CF? Forget it, that's pure PR BS!

CF has clients who pay a lot and for that kind of money they demand excellent results - which forces CF to build up, maintain, and keep running a seriously big infrastructure. Plus, those clients have "peak times" during the day, the month, or the year and CF must be prepared to deliver excellent results at those peak times too.
    That also means that most of the time CF has a ton of under-used resources which is the real basis for their 'free' services. And they do profit from that. For example in terms of PR and marketing as well as in brand recognition (which is worth an awful lot); those also again bring in new paying clients.
    And you have no rights whatsoever, you are but a means to an end and are supposed to praise and recommend CF to everyone not running away fast enough.

Plus I bet that NSA & consorts have mirror ports in each and every CF location and quite likely one of the shadow agencies shop front is/are shareholder(s) too. In fact I presume that that is a major junk of the startup money. I've been in a few investor and banker meetings and I can tell you clearly that "we'll give away free services too" is NOT what those people like to hear (unless you can demonstrate that you can monetize that).

@Arkas said:
    It's not only static websites, I have a few forums as well on the server.

You do not need CF. Simply get a decent VPS in NA and update its DB once a minute or, if you want to be cool, every 5 or 10 seconds, and be done.
    Reason: static websites are nobrainers (in the given context) anyway. And fora are by their very nature 'read a lot, write little' (to/from DB). Plus virtually nobody in NA cares about getting posts that are some seconds behind, but they'll love that they get a fast response. Additional advantage: once the solution is in place you also have a mechanism for DB backup.
    I'm doing that myself (even with a bloody WP site with quite some activity) and it works a charm.

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • @jsg said: Plus I bet that NSA & consorts have mirror ports in each and every CF location and quite likely one of the shadow agencies shop front is/are shareholder(s) too. In fact I presume that that is a major junk of the startup money. I've been in a few investor and banker meetings and I can tell you clearly that "we'll give away free services too" is NOT what those people like to hear (unless you can demonstrate that you can monetize that).

I think NSA has done similar things before to eavesdrop on Internet communications.
    https://reuters.com/article/us-usa-security-nsa-rsa-idUSBREA2U0TY20140331

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @jsg said:

@rm_ said:
    For websites and forums, not worth surrendering into the centralized ziggurat of CloudFlare

Full ACK.

Let's talk a bit about CloudF#%$! ...

For a start, do NOT believe the PR story of the (nice and generous, presumably) paying clients also paying for the free clients. That's BS and a big pile!

Here's how it really works:
    'Free product' means that in one way or another YOU are the product. Do you really believe that corporations who try hard to save yet another 2 cents on a $100 product and/or who happily sell out your personal data and/or who try hard to squeeze in yet another another ad suddenly turn generous and pay for your "free" CF? Forget it, that's pure PR BS!

CF has clients who pay a lot and for that kind of money they demand excellent results - which forces CF to build up, maintain, and keep running a seriously big infrastructure. Plus, those clients have "peak times" during the day, the month, or the year and CF must be prepared to deliver excellent results at those peak times too.
    That also means that most of the time CF has a ton of under-used resources which is the real basis for their 'free' services. And they do profit from that. For example in terms of PR and marketing as well as in brand recognition (which is worth an awful lot); those also again bring in new paying clients.

This directly contradicts what you said above.

And you have no rights whatsoever, you are but a means to an end and are supposed to praise and recommend CF to everyone not running away fast enough.

What? Are you signing over a first born or something? Generally, when you make a good product and satisfy customers, the expectation is for them to tell everyone else. That's literally the plan for all businesses.

Plus I bet that NSA & consorts have mirror ports in each and every CF location and quite likely one of the shadow agencies shop front is/are shareholder(s) too. In fact I presume that that is a major junk of the startup money. I've been in a few investor and banker meetings and I can tell you clearly that "we'll give away free services too" is NOT what those people like to hear (unless you can demonstrate that you can monetize that).

Giving away services to become the defacto player is a well established model. Given the number of billionaires from operating free services, I would think there's specific context and not a blanket statement as that would be silly.

@Arkas said:
    It's not only static websites, I have a few forums as well on the server.

You do not need CF. Simply get a decent VPS in NA and update its DB once a minute or, if you want to be cool, every 5 or 10 seconds, and be done.
    Reason: static websites are nobrainers (in the given context) anyway. And fora are by their very nature 'read a lot, write little' (to/from DB). Plus virtually nobody in NA cares about getting posts that are some seconds behind, but they'll love that they get a fast response. Additional advantage: once the solution is in place you also have a mechanism for DB backup.
    I'm doing that myself (even with a bloody WP site with quite some activity) and it works a charm.

For a guy talking about facts a lot, you sure make a lot of assumptions and conclusions without basis.

The latency across North America is north of 100ms. Major areas are within 15ms of major datacenters. No, they're not the same as evidenced by the dozen CDN'S which do this as their bread and butter. You're basically only talking about small sites, not interactive or responsive. Making the DB update more frequently has nothing to do with using a CDN and doesn't negate the need for one, at all.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@afn said: For example: When I upload from My NL servers to my FR/DE servers, speed can reach up to 80-90 MB/S. When Copying files from that same NL server to US servers, I can barely reach 30 MB/S (usually around 15-20 MB/S). On the other side, moving files between my servers in the US also reaches the full 1 gbps speed.

Check if you use a decent TCP Congestion Control algorithm, such as bbr.
    https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-enable-tcp-bbr-to-improve-network-speed-on-linux/
    Usually don't need to upgrade the kernel by now, proceed to "Setting BBR" directly.