Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what's the advantage buying a storage VPS for backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what's the advantage buying a storage VPS for backup?

I backup all my web files to cloud storage such as google drive/yandex disk.
I saw many ppl buying a storage VPS for backup their websites.
So what's the advantage of storage VPS rather than cloud storage? thanks.

Comments

• gianggiang Veteran

You own your data?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Thick and thin.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited August 2021

I like to just have my files stored on a S3 like interface with Minio, without having to pay the big boys. It helps me set up automated deployments that read and write to the S3 storage interface, and I can also access my files through the web interface.

• @stevewatson301 said:
    I like to just have my files stored on a S3 like interface with Minio, without having to pay the big boys. It helps me set up automated deployments that read and write to the S3 storage interface, and I can also access my files through the web interface.

yes S3 make duplication for you. most VPS seem not.

• bdlbdl Member

I backup more than websites

• @stevewatson301 said:

Indeed, not wanting to pay to the big players is good point.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Because you can support a small business, and have more control over the environment in which your data is stored versus just uploading your raw files to Google, etc.

Can setup encrypted storage with (most) providers and automate backups. Not sure what options exist for the 'free' storage options from big tech.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited August 2021

@MannDude said: Not sure what options exist for the 'free' storage options from big tech.

To be fair, things like Cryptomator exist which can encrypt your data before uploading stuff to Google or Dropbox.

Also if you use an actual cloud service like GCP or AWS's storage options, they encrypt it on your behalf and there are strict policies around accessing that data, even under court orders. (Imagine what happens if the Fortune 500 companies get to know that you looked at their data without a legit reason.)

Regardless, for my hobby projects and home lab, I like not paying GCP or AWS, especially their egress fees. Not only is this cost effective, but I get to play around with stuff and improve my sysadmin skills.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2021

Also vps storage in most cases is cheaper than cloud storage. Though the comparison isn't apples to apples. And with a vps you can do more than just 'store', you can execute if you ever need to.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jpeng said: So what's the advantage of storage VPS rather than cloud storage? thanks.

If money is no object, sure cloud storage is better. It's duplicated and far more resilient. It's also much more expensive, especially egress/network fees.

OTOH, VPS is much cheaper and you can put whatever software you want on it including S3 APIs (minio). If you prefer, you can have the VPS do a pull strategy rather than push.

• Do you have the offer of koofr 1tb lifetime for 99USD ? I can’t find the coupon now.