Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it to host your own domains (vs commercial) and email service on linux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it worth it to host your own domains (vs commercial) and email service on linux?

lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
edited August 2021 in General

Worth it I am asking from a price vs extra effort/extra gain. If it would be a one off setup which would have a learning curve and then pretty much hands off after then I have no problem with that but would it need extra fiddling with a lot which would detract from other work duties?

Current hosting have totally left me hanging. All domains + cpanel are down now for the 3rd day in a row.

Over the years several things like this happened so I am wondering if it is better just to host myself on a small linux remote server to then have total control of things.

I already program and love the control of doing things yourself so wondering if it is just better to learn this to cut out the middle man for my use case

I have just one small website and a few other domains that just use a javascript redirect so very lightweight use case.

Wondering what the steps are for this.

Other people have said that the email spam you would get alone make this not worth it but I don't see how I would be receiving spam? I am the only one using the email server and would not give the email to anyone except using to validate on a few websites for new accounts. So not sure how spammers would get those emails?

I just wanna do what I was doing - be able to add my own html/js for simple redirects on the majority of domains and host one lightweight website. Also to be able to create emails using the domains I have.

Comments

• bdlbdl Member
    edited August 2021

Wondering what the steps are for this.

1) Set up an account at mxroute.com
    2) Relax

(maintaining your own mail server is a frustrating time sink :) )

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2021

A wall of text, and I only read the title.

OP, why? U a masochist?

Thanked by 1bdl
  • I run my own email server and have got better at it over the years. My own view is that getting something basic going is simple, but doing it properly requires a bit of time and knowledge. "Properly" means multiple outgoing servers/IPs with synced configs etc.

The biggest problem you will face is not inbound spam (there are generally spam solutions for inbound, especially if you're willing to throw a few dollars at it and/or invest more time in cultivating your spam filters), but outbound mail reaching the destination. Even with everything in your favor, your sending IP reputation/volume may be too low to get trusted by the majors.

This means picking your provider carefully and not just assuming you'll get a VPS and it will work.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Not worth the effort to self-host mail really. It sounds like if you just use javascript then you can use cloudflare pages or netlify and then use yandex or zoho for your mail, all for free and not going anywhere.

Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • @deank said:
    A wall of text, and I only read the title.

OP, why? U a masochist?

why what.