Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Abandoned Hardware - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Abandoned Hardware

2»

Comments

• 3d print exact replicas of their hardware and when they try to claim it later, just tell them that abandoned hardware tends to act funny after a few months of inactivity. Bonus points if you could convince them to open an LET thread and post YAB results here.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@randvegeta

Don't ask us. Ask a HK lawyer.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:
    @randvegeta

Don't ask us. Ask a HK lawyer.

This is not a matter of law. The legality is not in question here.

• Just use it to chia mine.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2021

@redcat said:
    Just use it to chia mine.

Have you seen the price of Chia at the moment?

@aqua said:

@redcat said:
    Just use it to chia mine.

Have you seen the price of Chia at the moment?

No wonder I can buy some HDDs again.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@randvegeta said: This is not a matter of law. The legality is not in question here.

IANAL, but this is where you are wrong. If they are in bankruptcy, seizing and selling their assets could lead to some consequences for you. You may be required by law to file with the bankruptcy court before taking any action. You need to talk to a lawyer to decide how to proceed (based on the legal issues involved and your risk tolerance).

@qps said:

@randvegeta said: This is not a matter of law. The legality is not in question here.

IANAL, but this is where you are wrong. If they are in bankruptcy, seizing and selling their assets could lead to some consequences for you. You may be required by law to file with the bankruptcy court before taking any action. You need to talk to a lawyer to decide how to proceed (based on the legal issues involved and your risk tolerance).

No you are wrong. You know nothing of HK law.

This is NOT a legal issue. This is more an ethical and best practice one. I'm well within my rights to seize the hardware. If you disagree, I suggest you consult a lawyer in HK familiar with these cases.