Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clouding.io | Benchmarks and first impression
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clouding.io | Benchmarks and first impression

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited August 2021 in General

Today I gave Clouding.io a try. They are based in Barcelona, Spain and are yet another cloud hosting provider. I have credits at Vultr lying around and also at Lunanode. I like having different cloud providers at my disposal to quickly test various setups or projects. Not yet sure if I will use Clouding more frequently from now on, but you get 5€ worth of credits for signing up and it's an Europe-based Cloud Provider so enough reason to check them out :)

While I am writing this YABS and Serverscope IO bench are running on my 1vCore, 2GB RAM Ubuntu 20.xx box ;)

It is worth noting the only available location seems to be Barcelona, Spain.
The VM creation is quite straight-forward but a bit lacking in flexibility as I can only select "2 or 4GB RAM for each vCore". Cheapest plan seems to come to 3€/mo for 0,5 vCore and 1GB RAM. Honestly, with this type of services I don't look much at the monthly cost since it is usually only something I use for spinning up a machine and try out some stuff. What is really cool is that they have "Ubuntu Desktop" as an option and you can get a Windows 2019 server from 7,50€/mo (0.5 vCore, so rather you are looking at the next level of 1vCore with 12,50€/mo) which respectively comes to 0,01xx€/h and 0,017xx€/h where Vultr charges minimum of 20€/mo and respectively 0,03xx€/h (for 1 CPU, 2GB RAM, 55GB SSD) which is more.
If you are selecting 1vCore, 2GB RAM and 55GB SSD at Clouding with Windows that comes to 15,50€/mo or 0,021xx€/h. Anyway, Vultr has lots of other perks so this is not meant to be a thorough comparison. The mentioned prices are excl VAT which you can tick yourself during the order process (neat). With VAT that'd be 18,45€/mo or 0,025xxx€/h for the mentioned Windows server which is very close to what Vultr charges. For your Windows VM, you can choose between "Desktop" 2019 or "Server" 2003-2019. Windows server was already activated when I connected to it.

They do have some Apps to choose from. Not as much as their competitors, but a fair bunch:

I was quite surprised to find HestiaCP being one of the 3 control panels available! @Falzo is HestiaCP partnering with Clouding poke poke ;)

Here is a short video showing all possible setup options:

There are Snapshots, Backups, SSH-Keys and Firewalls. They have a "default" Firewall but you can also create your own from the panel.

There is a free DNS service and also a PTR-record option available.

When selecting the running VM I have the following options available:

The overview and management options are quite decent, albeit not as advanced as other competitors offer. Statistics show a CPU, RAM, BW usage etc.

Backups can be enabled and preferred intervals can be selected:

Other observations:

In their "features" section on their website they speak of 100% redundant setupp and explain in more detail how they can react if one hypervisor goes down. What I like is that they also have phone support available and advanced support if needed. Neat! :) Again, not saying other providers don't offer this, but it is still a fact I like.

Benchmarks:

YABS:

Serverscope: https://serverscope.io/trials/vWmO

Final thoughts:

I like to have yet another European cloud provider on my list and some of the features (Ubuntu Desktop, cheaper Windows servers, 100% uptime and phone support) are really nice to have. Comparing them to Vultr, DO or Lunanode would probably be unfair, though, as they don't have much on them. If they continue to expand and improve I would be very interested in seeing what they are looking like in a couple more years time.

Have a wonderful day, everyone :)

Ympker

Comments

• @Ympker said: @Falzo is HestiaCP partnering with Clouding poke poke

no partnering with anyone from what I know, simply something they seem to like and offer for their clients as alternative to paid stuff ;-)
    we are happy to see things like that and even more they provide quite some knowledge base articles around it: https://clouding.io/hc/es/sections/360004154580-HestiaCP

in general looks very promising, let us know how it goes...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Seems like they also include 4TB of traffic (not sure if measured in+out or out only), which is pretty good for a cheap VM in Spain.

Might end up giving it a try. Thanks @Ympker for the introduction :-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Do they have ipv6?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • For that price, the performance is good

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@Falzo said:

@Ympker said: @Falzo is HestiaCP partnering with Clouding poke poke

no partnering with anyone from what I know, simply something they seem to like and offer for their clients as alternative to paid stuff ;-)
    we are happy to see things like that and even more they provide quite some knowledge base articles around it: https://clouding.io/hc/es/sections/360004154580-HestiaCP

in general looks very promising, let us know how it goes...

Likewise, I was very happy to see HestiaCP being offered there. Seems like you've got some fans over there in Spain ;) The knowledgebase articles are also quite cool. Will keep you updated for sure! Seems like they are in bussiness since 2016, so let's look what the future brings. Definitely will use my 5€ credit to play around a bit and keep them in mind if I need a spanish vm :P

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Seems like they also include 4TB of traffic (not sure if measured in+out or out only), which is pretty good for a cheap VM in Spain.

Didn't even check the traffic. That is quite a good amount of traffic they include there. You get the 5€ after signing up and going through their verification process. I had to use a CC to verify, though (they charge 1€ and then refund it). If things get stuck during this process, shoot them an email or call them (3 of my CCs didn't work, so I figured their system was bugged not my CC. They seem to use Adyen?! After I msged them they told me I shoulf try again and it worked lol). The CC details are not saved if you don't tick the respective field, so it is only used for verification and not stored with your account as a billing option. Once verified you can also choose e.g. Paypal for your services :)

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

They have an account here, @Clouding, but inactive :joy:

• @DP said:

And here I thought about inviting them over😂

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Ympker said:

@DP said:

Then maybe all you need to do is just remind them that they have an account here ;)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • cpsdcpsd Member

Thanks. It's interesting and hestiacp too. I didn't know it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @DP said:

@Ympker said:

@DP said:

Then maybe all you need to do is just remind them that they have an account here ;)

I sent them an email. Let's see :)

Thanked by 1DP
  • @Arirang said:
    Do they have ipv6?

No, in fact they tell you to register in tunnelbroker.net because Spain IPv6 adoption rate is low, which I find it bullshit. https://clouding.io/hc/es/articles/360010824279-Cómo-usar-IPv6-en-servidores-de-Clouding

Their ASN doesn't even have any IPv6 blocks announced. https://bgp.he.net/AS49635

This is the only reason keeping me from trying them @Clouding

@yoursunny hall of shame please

• @Pixels said:

@Arirang said:
    Do they have ipv6?

No, in fact they tell you to register in tunnelbroker.net because Spain IPv6 adoption rate is low, which I find it bullshit. https://clouding.io/hc/es/articles/360010824279-Cómo-usar-IPv6-en-servidores-de-Clouding

Their ASN doesn't even have any IPv6 blocks announced. https://bgp.he.net/AS49635

To be fair there are enough use cases for IPv4 these days and while IPv6 may be the future it is still faar away. Especially with cloud services like that, where you spin up something for some hours, having IPv4 can make things easier. Nothing forces you to stick with them for 10 years or similar. When the IPv6 future arrives you can still switch. Right now, most people here are probably still using IPv4 VMs. Except @yoursunny who is always at least at IPv6 and actually already prototyping IPv9.

• @Ympker said:

@Pixels said:

@Arirang said:
    Do they have ipv6?

To be fair there are enough use cases for IPv4 these days and while IPv6 may be the future it is still faar away. Especially with cloud services like that, where you spin up something for some hours, having IPv4 can make things easier. Nothing forces you to stick with them for 10 years or similar. When the IPv6 future arrives you can still switch. Right now, most people here are probably still using IPv4 VMs. Except @yoursunny who is always at least at IPv6 and actually already prototyping IPv9.

I don't care about IPv4 use cases. I expect a server to be dual-stack in 2021. But Spain is different.

If they tell me they are actually working on implementing it, I am okay with it. But the KB article hasn't been updated in three years so they must be working really hard on it.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@Pixels said:

@Ympker said:

@Pixels said:

@Arirang said:
    Do they have ipv6?

I don't care about IPv4 use cases. I expect a server to be dual-stack in 2021. But Spain is different.

If they tell me they are actually working on implementing it, I am okay with it. But the KB article hasn't been updated in three years so they must be working really hard on it.

Fair point. That being said, Hetzner Cloud for example does speak about IPv6 but:

What about IPv6?
    We, like many other companies, had postponed revamping our infrastructure and products to IPv6 because the demand — until recently — had been relatively small. Naturally, we will be seriously considering when and how we can make this transition. Unfortunately, that transition will be a complex one, so we cannot give you a roadmap for when that will happen.

Still was a very popular provider before the IPv4 increase (and still is for some use cases).
    But, I understand where you are coming from. Your decision. I believe yoursunny would also be of the same opinion :P

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said: When the IPv6 future arrives you can still switch.

That future never arrives if people still have their head in the sand and keep deploying v4-only.

If you want an actual use case for deploying v6 in 2021: the biggest mobile networks in the world are v6-only at their core - with DNS64/NAT64 or 464XLAT as the v4 compatibility layer.

Direct v6 performance is faster on these networks, per data from Facebook, LinkedIn. So if your business/site cares about the mobile user experience - especially in NA, EU, and India (/other parts of Asia) - then you should be deploying v6 on the edge already.

@Ympker said: That being said, Hetzner Cloud for example does speak about IPv6 but:

Hetzner Cloud already supports v6, including v6 floating IPs - from day 1 iirc.

I believe they're speaking about additional features they want to add to improve their v6 deployment.

Thanked by 2Ympker bulbasaur
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@Harambe said:

@Ympker said: When the IPv6 future arrives you can still switch.

That future never arrives if people still have their head in the sand and keep deploying v4-only.

If you want an actual use case for deploying v6 in 2021: the biggest mobile networks in the world are v6-only at their core - with DNS64/NAT64 or 464XLAT as the v4 compatibility layer.

Direct v6 performance is faster on these networks, per data from Facebook, LinkedIn. So if your business/site cares about the mobile user experience - especially in NA, EU, and India (/other parts of Asia) - then you should be deploying v6 on the edge already.

@Ympker said: That being said, Hetzner Cloud for example does speak about IPv6 but:

Hetzner Cloud already supports v6, including v6 floating IPs - from day 1 iirc.

I believe they're speaking about additional features they want to add to improve their v6 deployment.

Fair enough. Only read the FAQ Katie posted, then they are already on the right track and (probably) not on yoursunnys shamelist :P

I remember O2 started introducing IPv6 gradually on their mobile network in April this year, too (my mobile phone carrier). It would certainly be beneficial if more people used IPv6, but realistically speaking it will probably still take while. However, as IPv4 keeps getting more expensive, people will be confronted with this transition sooner than later.

Personally, I have only dealt with IPv6 on a VPS once and I used CF 6to4 to host a website on it back then, iirc.

• @NobodyInteresting said:
    Seems like they also include 4TB of traffic (not sure if measured in+out or out only), which is pretty good for a cheap VM in Spain.

In order to measure it, it is used the highest amount, in or out.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Already tried them before. The best set price and quality for Spain location.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Arirang said:
    Do they have ipv6?

Not at the moment but we will in the future :) No precise date yet.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • jenkkijenkki Member
    edited August 2021

@Clouding said: No precise date yet.

Many folks didn't care about it. IPv6 just for screwed :smile:

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@Clouding welcome back! Glad you made it here :) Also @Falzo is involved with HestiaCP development, so perhaps you can even extend your KB ;)

@jenkki said:
    Already tried them before. The best set price and quality for Spain location.

Have you also tried Ginernet? I heard that they are also a prem provider in Spain. They seem to be more expensive, though.

@DP seems like Clouding made a comeback ;)

To put it in a meme: "LET calls for a comeback.. and Clouding will answer!" (starts playing LOTR music)

• TejyTejy Member

Pretty happy to know that there is an Iberian cloud provider.
    Hope that a Portuguese region will be launched soon! :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said: Have you also tried Ginernet? I heard that they are also a prem provider in Spain. They seem to be more expensive, though.

Yes but they more expensive and have less specs and resourses for that money

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • PixelsPixels Member
    edited August 2021

@jenkki said:

@Ympker said: Have you also tried Ginernet? I heard that they are also a prem provider in Spain. They seem to be more expensive, though.

There's also PCextreme.nl and iFog.ch in Barcelona that provide IPv6. The latter also provides BGP sessions.

MVPS.net also has servers in Valencia, Spain.

I am not aware of any other affordable provider here in Spain.

@Ympker said:

@DP seems like Clouding made a comeback ;)

To put it in a meme: "LET calls for a comeback.. and Clouding will answer!" (starts playing LOTR music)

I didn't expect them to log in when I pinged them. I don't know if my friend asking the same question on Twitter (and getting the exact same response) had anything to do with it.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@jenkki said:

@Ympker said: Have you also tried Ginernet? I heard that they are also a prem provider in Spain. They seem to be more expensive, though.

Yup. What I thought. They are about the only spanish provider I knew, before I found Clouding.

@Pixels I also invited them back via email in query, so perhaps that also :)

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited August 2021

@Pixels said: There's also PCextreme.nl and iFog.ch in Barcelona

Their IP are all geolocated to Switzerland as they are Swiss based. I tried their Norway deal (Terrahost) but stuck with wrong geolocation and cancel it.

• PixelsPixels Member
    edited August 2021

@jenkki said:

@Pixels said: There's also PCextreme.nl and iFog.ch in Barcelona

Their IP are all geolocated to Switzerland as they are Swiss based. I tried their Norway deal (Terrahost) but stuck with wrong geolocation and cancel it.

It all depends on what GeoIP database you are looking from. bgp.he.net says Switzerland (as expected) but MaxMind and ipinfo.io locate my server IPv4 address in Barcelona.

RIPE also has country set to ES for that specific block.

Ps: I haven't tried their Norway offers so I can't vouch for that. Barcelona works fine.