Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rocky Linux Now Available on our KVM VPS platform
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rocky Linux Now Available on our KVM VPS platform

dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

We are pleased to announce that Rocky Linux OS is now officially available on RackNerd's platform! :) Interesting fact about Rocky Linux is that it's led by Gregory Kurtzer, founder of the CentOS project.

Existing RackNerd customers can reinstall their VPS to our new Rocky Linux OS template within minutes, using the SolusVM control panel. For those who prefer to install manually from an ISO, just open a support ticket to request the ISO to be mounted.

Back in April, we released support for AlmaLinux as well, a RHEL fork created by the folks at CloudLinux: https://my.racknerd.com/index.php?rp=/announcements/39/AlmaLinux-OS-Now-Available-on-RackNerds-Platform.html

What are your thoughts between Rocky Linux and AlmaLinux? Which do you prefer, and why? Share your thoughts below!

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I have no interest in Rocks, Locks, or Fort Knox.
    I'm waiting for Bullseye.

Thanked by 2Harambe MannDude
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:
    I'm waiting for Bullseye.

Debian, thx

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

I prefer MacOS on VPS's, when will that be available at RackNerd?

• gappergapper Member

Don't you allow custom ISO upload?

• Thanks for sharing @dustinc, warm regards from the Rocky Linux team! 💚

• rcxbrcxb Member

CentOS was more than just a free RHEL. They offered plenty of extras not found in RHEL, and I was hoping Rocky Linux would do the same. Greg Kurtzer says this is already in the works:

"The goal is to extend the operating system via special interests groups (SIGs)," said Kurtzer. "I'm really interested in high-performance computing and in cloud hybrid. Other people have spun up a hyperscale SIG, a SIG for legacy hardware, a SIG for laptops and workstations, a SIG for media and entertainment, a SIG for storage, a SIG for EDA [Electronic Design Automation]. There's going to be some overlap with CentOS SIGs as well as Fedora and EPEL packaging, but I think what we can do is be the new kid on the block."
    https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/09/centos_stream_greg_kurtzer/

Alma was first, but I bet Rocky will become the flag bearer.

Thanked by 2ressonix tech2_AU
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@aqua said:
    I prefer MacOS on VPS's, when will that be available at RackNerd?

MacOS is lovely!

Though, we don't have any current plans on bringing that over to RackNerd. Nonetheless, keep an eye out :)

@gapper said:
    Don't you allow custom ISO upload?

Hi @gapper -- while we currently do not have the feature for end users to upload custom ISOs themselves - we can on demand upload ISO's free of charge 24x7 :) Just open a support ticket, we're here to help :)

@ressonix said:
    Thanks for sharing @dustinc, warm regards from the Rocky Linux team! 💚

Anytime! Appreciate the teams contribution to the community 👊

Thanked by 1ressonix
  • dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep

up

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Come back in a week when you can behave.