Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MikePT posts another lifetime offer - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MikePT posts another lifetime offer

2»

Comments

• cpsdcpsd Member

well i bought another one, my second idling hosting with you :D because I forgot that i did that last year

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The impulse buy threshold seems to be a moving target for lifetime packages but I'm down to less than 1 per week average after going up to $175.

That's what little advice I can offer.

Thanked by 2Ympker MikePT
  • AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

@drunkendog said:
    With the issues with support (and the GDPR violation still on the main page), I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that @MikePT reneged on his promise to stop posting lifetime offers.

I don't think he'll deadpool, but I wouldn't hold my breath if all the money he makes is from lifetime offers.

/rant

What GDPR violation is that - out of interest?

• @AllHost_Ben said:

@drunkendog said:
    With the issues with support (and the GDPR violation still on the main page), I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that @MikePT reneged on his promise to stop posting lifetime offers.

I don't think he'll deadpool, but I wouldn't hold my breath if all the money he makes is from lifetime offers.

/rant

From my earlier comment:

This is what they say on their website:

But GDPR explicitly states here that you need to:

Allow users to access your service even if they refuse to allow the use of certain cookies

so the website is in violation of the GDPR. @MikePT, please fix this.

It's not a major violation, but it should be an easy fix and I'm not a fan of them not doing that.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@drunkendog said: Allow users to access your service even if they refuse to allow the use of certain cookies

What are "certain cookies" in this context? A link with a definition would be helpful.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • adlyadly Veteran
    edited July 2021

I suspect the cookie issue is that unless consent is freely given* only cookies essential for the operation of the website should be used. That doesn’t include tracking or marketing.

*Consent is not valid if it’s not possible to refuse or withdraw consent without detriment.

Thanked by 2drunkendog MikePT
  • @raindog308 said:

@drunkendog said: Allow users to access your service even if they refuse to allow the use of certain cookies

What are "certain cookies" in this context? A link with a definition would be helpful.

The GDPR site is here: https://gdpr.eu/cookies/, and it's probably the best source on "certain cookies"

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@frog said: The money he makes from lifetime offers is for private expenses. It smells like deadpool.

WNDP - WebNegócio Lda. has been operating for 5 years and a half, feel free to verify, PT513782540, where MyW has been operating for 2 years+.

I am not deadpooling and I'd appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth! :)

I'm too excited to be upset about this thread to be honest.

@raindog308 granted, it's an exclusive offer there, but everyone's welcome to order. It wouldn't be correct for me to share it here IMO.> @drunkendog said:

@AllHost_Ben said:

@drunkendog said:

/rant

From my earlier comment:

Allow users to access your service even if they refuse to allow the use of certain cookies

It's not a major violation, but it should be an easy fix and I'm not a fan of them not doing that.

I know it's eaiser to impelement systems to work that out. Only our client area, WHMCS, captures cookies though.

I got most terms written to respect privacy. I do check, like annually, the statistics from Google Anaytics but that's it. I don't care much about it. I still want our clients to know they're somehow being recorded. That happens everywhere. No one is going to sell your data though!

@drunkendog said:

@raindog308 said:

The GDPR site is here: https://gdpr.eu/cookies/, and it's probably the best source on "certain cookies"

Granted there is room for improvement. I am no expert there. I'll definitely try to improve it.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@jar said:
    The impulse buy threshold seems to be a moving target for lifetime packages but I'm down to less than 1 per week average after going up to $175.

Waaa 175 USD per week? Damn you must have pleeeenty!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@MikePT said:

@jar said:

Waaa 175 USD per week? Damn you must have pleeeenty!

Trying to sell less so I don't dig a hole 😂

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@drunkendog said: The GDPR site is here: https://gdpr.eu/cookies/, and it's probably the best source on "certain cookies"

That's the same link you posted before.

The vagueness of their rules confirms my general impression that GDPR is mostly a "keep officials employed" act.

Thanked by 4jar JasonM chip MikePT
  • adlyadly Veteran

@raindog308 the ICO (UK but currently still applicable) provides clearer advice here. Essentially, cookies essential to providing the service don’t require consent, but beyond this consent must be freely given.

That said, cookies are regulated by PECR and GDPR doesn’t apply where PECR does to avoid duplication (other than then having the same standard of ‘consent’), so I’m not sure it’s a GDPR issue.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@MikePT said:

@frog said: The money he makes from lifetime offers is for private expenses. It smells like deadpool.

WNDP - WebNegócio Lda. has been operating for 5 years and a half, feel free to verify, PT513782540, where MyW has been operating for 2 years+.

I am not deadpooling and I'd appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth! :)

I'm too excited to be upset about this thread to be honest.

@raindog308 granted, it's an exclusive offer there, but everyone's welcome to order. It wouldn't be correct for me to share it here IMO.> @drunkendog said:

@AllHost_Ben said:

@drunkendog said:

/rant

From my earlier comment:

I know it's eaiser to impelement systems to work that out. Only our client area, WHMCS, captures cookies though.

I got most terms written to respect privacy. I do check, like annually, the statistics from Google Anaytics but that's it. I don't care much about it. I still want our clients to know they're somehow being recorded. That happens everywhere. No one is going to sell your data though!

@drunkendog said:

@raindog308 said:

Granted there is room for improvement. I am no expert there. I'll definitely try to improve it.

Check latest ticket response, I pmed you about the cookie issue :)

Thanked by 1MikePT