Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acceptable CPU steal? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Acceptable CPU steal?

2»

Comments

• @JabJab said:
    @HBAndrei always forget to tag you - is there any chance for steal in Server Monitoring Agent on the cpu graphs? :) I know VPS's are probably not the most lucrative clients, but still could be helpful from time to time :-)

It's in New Relic, free up to 100GB of data. Note, I have like 18 servers being monitored and that exceeds the monthly 100GB limit. But I think 10 servers was fine.

• @Daniel15 said:

@JabJab said: Still seeing odd 10% or something from time to time, but this is how shared works and I can live with that.

Depends on how many VPSes the host cram onto a single server :) I only get >3% with one particular provider, all the others are usually less than 1% apart from spikes, and this includes small NAT VPSes too

On a HostHatch VPS in particular, I'm using ~15-20% CPU constantly and the steal% is almost always below 0.3%. On a BuyVM VPS, I'm also using ~20% CPU constantly and the steal% is usually 0.7 to 0.9% (I was genuinely surprised that HostHatch's older E5-2680 v2 servers have less CPU steal than BuyVM's new Ryzen 3900X servers)

I think they get maxed out by available local storage before they can be oversubscribed too badly. I don't have any non-storage HH servers to compare.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@JabJab said:
    @HBAndrei always forget to tag you - is there any chance for steal in Server Monitoring Agent on the cpu graphs? :) I know VPS's are probably not the most lucrative clients, but still could be helpful from time to time :-)

It's on the to-do list for future agent releases :+1:

Cheers.

Thanked by 1JabJab
  • tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep

@fixxation said:
    The provider I was having trouble did address the issue - but only for 24 hours I or so. CPU steal dropped to about 2% for the past day, now it's back to about 12% - they say nothing can be done about it, and that I can try another server and see if I'm lucky enough to find a less busy one. :neutral: I think this is grounds to move host...? I'm fine with a couple percent CPU steal but this 12% business is just too much for my application. I have a small VPS with Linode and the CPU steal is at 0 nearly all the time. Anyone know any VPS hosts in Germany that don't oversell their resources and have competitive pricing?

Munich VPS:
    https://www.webhosting24.com/cp/cart.php?gid=42

Thanked by 2fixxation kheng86
  • hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@TimboJones said: I think they get maxed out by available local storage before they can be oversubscribed too badly. I don't have any non-storage HH servers to compare.

You should never see over 1% steal on our NVMe servers.