Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boomer.host - From $3.5/yr with Dedicated IPv4 & IPv6 - OpenVZ 7 offers with PURE SSD Storage - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Boomer.host - From $3.5/yr with Dedicated IPv4 & IPv6 - OpenVZ 7 offers with PURE SSD Storage

Comments

• @Pixels said:
    Am I the only one who takes ages to complete an apt update?

It stays in Reading package lists... 98% for several minutes.

same problem, cant install anything, because it closes.

try some simple like psybnc, or znc, then openvpn, and nothing worked. that was the day i ordered them, but havent try again.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

@Pixels said:

hmm maybe it's a slow mirror

• @ezeth said:

@Pixels said:

hmm maybe it's a slow mirror

No, reading apt package lists happens from the local drive. It's a symptom of a slow and/or oversold server.

• @dahartigan said: No, reading apt package lists happens from the local drive. It's a symptom of a slow and/or oversold server.

It's not my intention to defend anyone, but, he's not making profit at $4.95/yr offering these specs. You should expect it to be oversold and under-performing (compared to the market). As for exactly how sustainable this company is, we'll all find out in a few months.

• @Privacy said:

@dahartigan said: No, reading apt package lists happens from the local drive. It's a symptom of a slow and/or oversold server.

It's not my intention to defend anyone, but, he's not making profit at $4.95/yr offering these specs. You should expect it to be oversold and under-performing (compared to the market). As for exactly how sustainable this company is, we'll all find out in a few months.

It is what it is..

Thanked by 1Privacy
  • @Privacy said:

@dahartigan said: No, reading apt package lists happens from the local drive. It's a symptom of a slow and/or oversold server.

It's not my intention to defend anyone, but, he's not making profit at $4.95/yr offering these specs.

He probably makes some profit, he has over 700 VPS on that node and is of course overselling brutally.

Thanked by 2yoursunny dahartigan

Overprovisioning for sure with fair usage

But uh idk why its slow for you. Maybe you need more ram than 256MB DDR3. I checked usage and its fine.
    IO/CPU/network is nowhere near maxing

edited September 2021

@lukgth said:

@Privacy said:

It's not my intention to defend anyone, but, he's not making profit at $4.95/yr offering these specs.

He probably makes some profit, he has over 700 VPS on that node and is of course overselling brutally.

Oh yeah. 4.95x700 is $3.5k

Dont forget that this node is a beast too and only 45% of ram, 20-50% of cpu is in use.

Node CPU
    22.39%

But yeah its reached its limit. Im going to put it out of stock this week

• @ezeth said:

@lukgth said:

@Privacy said:

only 45% of ram, 20-50% of cpu is in use.

Yes and 50% Swap Usage out of 500GB and a load average of 60
    System Load: 56.86 /vz Usage: 71% of 3.4T Swap Usage: 53%

edited September 2021

@lukgth said:

@ezeth said:

@lukgth said:

@Privacy said:

only 45% of ram, 20-50% of cpu is in use.

Yes and 50% Swap Usage out of 500GB and a load average of 60
    System Load: 56.86 /vz Usage: 71% of 3.4T Swap Usage: 53%

Load average is inflated artificially due to container limits
    Swap is just 1GB and it doesnt matter since theres about 150GB ram free

edited September 2021

Another reason for the little higher load might be

683669 root 30 10 339496 300488 8 S 100.0 0.1 298:41.59 xmrig
    676412 root 30 10 328496 289648 8 S 99.8 0.1 366:20.09 xmrig
    686758 root 30 10 334972 296156 8 S 99.5 0.1 364:09.85 xmrig
    691437 root 30 10 335084 296128 8 S 96.9 0.1 301:33.85 xmrig
    695806 root 30 10 333040 294088 8 S 96.9 0.1 357:26.04 xmrig

But yeah. Each container has limits on IO/CPU etc. If one maxes the hostnode also gets high loadaverage even though there's actually no problem.

..Why did my automatic suspension vpsabuse stop :(

Actual usage
    https://imgur.com/a/aBoiUCM

Please read the terms of service lol

All the following usages is also prohibited on all of our server(s). CryptoCurrency Mining

• PixelsPixels Member
    edited September 2021

@ezeth the problem is disk-related. Please kill the servers from fucktards doing Chia or whatever. I seriously don't get how people can hammer 10GB virtual disks so hard.

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 73.5 us / 7.64 ms / 428.0 ms / 23.9 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 197 requests in 5.08 s, 49.2 MiB, 38 iops, 9.70 MiB/s

I hope this is not the limit per container, because it really affects overall performance and shouldn't be advertised as "Pure SSD". dd is still running.

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • @lukgth said:

@Privacy said:

I still think this helicopter is about to lose the Jesus nut at 1000ft, figuratively speaking.

@Pixels said:
    @ezeth the problem is disk-related. Please kill the servers from fucktards doing Chia or whatever. I seriously don't get how people can hammer 10GB virtual disks so hard.

I hope this is not the limit per container, because it really affects overall performance and shouldn't be advertised as "Pure SSD". dd is still running.

I will check IO history. But it might also be virtualizor panel doing that. Can you try to run it again while i temporarily disable it

edited September 2021

@Pixels said:

I agree with this too.

I already changed it from ssd to storage https://my.boomer.host/order.php?step=1&productGroup=4

I checked IO usage and I don't see any abuse. On netdata too read writes are very low https://imgur.com/a/aBoiUCM

I don't know why your IO is so shitty. I did set all VPSes to low IO priority but this shouldn't have anything to do with it

I think virtualizor panel might be causing this though so I would really like to disable it and you can try to run it again and we can see if there's a different result

I can also try some other stuff https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/30286/can-i-configure-my-linux-system-for-more-aggressive-file-system-caching

• @Pixels said:

You bought a VPS for $3.5, and half the node memory is SWAP.

Get used to it pal.

• PixelsPixels Member
    edited September 2021

@ezeth said:

@Pixels said:

I agree with this too.

I already changed it from ssd to storage https://my.boomer.host/order.php?step=1&productGroup=4

I checked IO usage and I don't see any abuse. On netdata too read writes are very low https://imgur.com/a/aBoiUCM

I don't know why your IO is so shitty. I did set all VPSes to low IO priority but this shouldn't have anything to do with it

I think virtualizor panel might be causing this though so I would really like to disable it and you can try to run it again and we can see if there's a different result

I can also try some other stuff https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/30286/can-i-configure-my-linux-system-for-more-aggressive-file-system-caching

Now it is insanely faster.

min/avg/max/mdev = 49.2 us / 1.38 ms / 790.6 ms / 20.6 ms
        generated 2.97 k requests in 5.00 s, 742.2 MiB, 593 iops, 148.4 MiB/s

There's obviously something wrong with Virtualizor/your config. Any changes you've made have drastically improved the results.

I can't do extensive testing as my server is tight on resources.

• @tester4 said:

@Pixels said:

Get used to it pal.

If the host is unable to fulfill what they advertise, then they shouldn't advertise it in the first place. Pricing is not an excuse for this bullshit. Price accordingly or do something else.

(Not bashing at @ezeth as he is showing efforts to improve in every aspect and is transparent about the setup. Just generally speaking.)

• @Pixels said:

@tester4 said:

@Pixels said:

Get used to it pal.

If the host is unable to fulfill what they advertise, then they shouldn't advertise it in the first place. Pricing is not an excuse for this bullshit. Price accordingly or do something else.

(Not bashing at @ezeth as he is showing efforts to improve in every aspect and is transparent about the setup. Just generally speaking.)

Join the LET Discord, you'll see that boomer host has become a meme for their current setup of RAID 0, half a TB of SWAP for memory etc. Unfortunately being a Provider doesn't mean you get held to higher standards these days.

• lanefulanefu Member
    edited September 2021

@ezeth you probably need to look at changing disk io schedulers for the block device

Apt guy do some googling on xapian index. You may need to either disable entirely or rebuild depending on circumstances

• @ezeth said:
    Another reason for the little higher load might be

683669 root 30 10 339496 300488 8 S 100.0 0.1 298:41.59 xmrig
    676412 root 30 10 328496 289648 8 S 99.8 0.1 366:20.09 xmrig
    686758 root 30 10 334972 296156 8 S 99.5 0.1 364:09.85 xmrig
    691437 root 30 10 335084 296128 8 S 96.9 0.1 301:33.85 xmrig
    695806 root 30 10 333040 294088 8 S 96.9 0.1 357:26.04 xmrig

But yeah. Each container has limits on IO/CPU etc. If one maxes the hostnode also gets high loadaverage even though there's actually no problem.

..Why did my automatic suspension vpsabuse stop :(

Actual usage
    https://imgur.com/a/aBoiUCM

Please read the terms of service lol

All the following usages is also prohibited on all of our server(s). CryptoCurrency Mining

Report them to FraudRecord.

• @Pixels said:

@ezeth said:

@Pixels said:

I agree with this too.

Now it is insanely faster.

min/avg/max/mdev = 49.2 us / 1.38 ms / 790.6 ms / 20.6 ms
        generated 2.97 k requests in 5.00 s, 742.2 MiB, 593 iops, 148.4 MiB/s

There's obviously something wrong with Virtualizor/your config. Any changes you've made have drastically improved the results.

Most likely it was killing the mining fuckers.

I can't do extensive testing as my server is tight on resources.

Good, that just exacerbates the problem on a new server that just got filled and many users are setting it up.

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • Is this a good server for mine chia?

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited September 2021

@redcat said:
    Is this a good server for mine chia?

Yes. China not allowed.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@redcat said:
    Is this a good server for mine chia?

No, I installed chia and it became avocados.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
    edited September 2021

well guys I found the problem.

virtualizor template: 6.8 MB/s
    virtuozzo ez template: 116 MB/s

Basically their shitty ubuntu 20.04 template made IO bad

A new template will be made so you can reinstall if you feel like it.

centos 7 template etc is uneffected. I believe debian 10 template is fine too. Plus if you decide to install debian 10 you can upgrade to debian 11

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @ezeth said:

centos 7 template etc is uneffected. I believe debian 10 template is fine too. Plus if you decide to install debian 10 you can upgrade to debian 11

is centos 8 available?

• @ezeth hey I have an idea, do the same but KVM. I'm not joking

@cybertech said:

@ezeth said:

is centos 8 available?

You can probaby do a dist update otherwise no. It's because of early EOL

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @tester4 said: half a TB of SWAP for memory etc

Do you mean he is using Disk SWAP space as memory or what ?

This discussion has been closed.