Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest VPS or Hosting For ecommerce site
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest VPS or Hosting For ecommerce site

I'm looking for something fast and reliable for a Woo commerce site as of now is a brand new site, i'm currently with shared hosting with ionos but it's just too slow and expensive compared to some prices i've seen here, Thanks for your advises in advance

Comments

• hnzlethnzlet Member
    edited July 2021

RackNerd is pretty popular around here, and they have an $11/year special that would probably meet your needs, as long as you're OK with the server being located in San Jose, California: https://lowendbox.com/blog/1-vps-1-usd-vps-per-month/ I've been very happy with their services.

Keep in mind that with a VPS you will be responsible for upgrading and applying security updates to the operating system (unlike on a shared host) as well as keeping your system secure in all ways! Keeping the server secure (including updating vulnerable software) is now your job, not someone else's. If you are not comfortable with your skills in this area, you can get a "Managed VPS" plan from someone, but those are naturally more expensive.

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@hnzlet said:
    RackNerd is pretty popular around here, and they have an $11/year special that probably meet your needs, as long as you're OK with the server being located in San Jose, California: https://lowendbox.com/blog/1-vps-1-usd-vps-per-month/ I've been very happy with their services.

Keep in mind that with a VPS you will be responsible for upgrading and applying security updates to the operating system (unlike on a shared host) as well as keeping your system secure in all ways! Security is now your job, not someone else's. If you are not comfortable with your skills in this area, you can get a "Managed VPS" plan from someone, but those are naturally more expensive.

Thank You for the mention @hnzlet

I should also mention that within the next 48 hrs, additional locations will be available upon checkout (we're replenishing inventory).

• @hnzlet i was looking into that but i wasn't sure if they would allow me to host a ecommerce site and as far as the updates and security i guess i'll just youtube some tuts can't it be too hard to do it, plus i get to learn something new, BTW i have my domains with porkbun.com and sav.com i'll have no problem point my domains there right?
    Thanks for your help

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Pawsbulous said:
    @hnzlet i was looking into that but i wasn't sure if they would allow me to host a ecommerce site and as far as the updates and security i guess i'll just youtube some tuts can't it be too hard to do it, plus i get to learn something new, BTW i have my domains with porkbun.com and sav.com i'll have no problem point my domains there right?
    Thanks for your help

Hi @Pawsbulous -- thank you for considering the providers within that list! We at RackNerd would be a great fit.

Hosting an ecommerce site is certainly allowed :) As for how to do it, a control panel could make life easier. You can consider a free control panel such as CyberPanel, or look into paid control panel options like Plesk or cPanel.

We have a video tutorial here on how to install CyberPanel on a VPS:

Regardless of the domain registrar you use, you'll be able to point the domain accordingly to your VPS IP. We have a tutorial on this here (with screenshots): https://blog.racknerd.com/how-to-update-dns-for-your-domain-to-your-vps-or-dedicated-server/

I hope that we can find ourselves working together 👊

• hnzlethnzlet Member
    edited July 2021

@Pawsbulous Once you get a VPS server you will have a dedicated IP address that comes with it. You need to add an A record to your DNS panel with your domain registrar, which will point to the IP address of your new server. Then any request for yourdomain.com will go to your new VPS server's IP address.

You'll also have to secure SSH access, set up your own server software (Apache/Nginx/etc), including SSL certificates, install PHP, etc... it will be much more complex than what you're used to, but there are lots of tutorials online.

Edit: looks like Dustin beat me to it with a more helpful answer

• imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited July 2021

@hnzlet I rather advise him to go with @NexusByte https://nexusbytes.com/web-hosting

They have LiteSpeed with LScache. And it will be 10X faster than Nginx as I have experienced it in my woo-commerce store.

• PawsbulousPawsbulous Member
    edited July 2021

@imgmoney said:
    @hnzlet I rather advise him to go with @NexusByte https://nexusbytes.com/web-hosting

They have LiteSpeed with LScache. And it will be 10X faster than Nginx as I have experienced it in my woo-commerce store.

Thanks but i really like the idea of learning how to setup my own site in a VPS btw that site you recommended is more expensive reacknerd at least their packages recommended for WordPress which i'm planning to use for woocommerce, but i really appreciate you taking your time to help me out

@dustinc i was looking in youtube something similar to this looks kinda cool not too hard to do and learn, thanks again

@hnzlet Thanks again bro

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2021

Hmm, I have an inkling there may be a lot of questions and/or tears ahead.
    I recommend just getting faster shared hosting with nexusbytes, rather than playing the cowboy with an e-commerce store when you don't know how to administer a server..
    The end may well be nigh.
    [Gawd help the customers of the store.]

Thanked by 2yoursunny imgmoney
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    Hmm, I have an inkling there may be a lot of questions and/or tears ahead.
    I recommend just getting faster shared hosting with nexusbytes, rather than playing the cowboy with an e-commerce store when you don't know how to administer a server..
    The end may well be nigh.

I tend to agree here, but OP did say that he's looking for a learning curve - the store may not be for production, just messing about - so it's also just as possible that there will be no tears.

If OP said he wanted a ready to go solution, then absolutely shared hosting on the first date - VPS once you get past second base, etc..

• @dahartigan You may know/remember that e-commerce is kinda my thing. ;) (>85% of my small client base.)

• @imgmoney said:

I did comparison few days ago between lomp vs lemp.

Ols setup was slower than nginx in 30-33%
    Means with PHP fpm + nginx I got higher rps than with ols. With plugins or around 12% slower when no caching plugins.

I don't understand why ols put fakes on their front page about benchmarks

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    @dahartigan You may know/remember that e-commerce is kinda my thing. ;) (>85% of my small client base.)

That's a very good point and you're right - I do know this, and now you've reminded me, I remember :)

• imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited July 2021

@desperand said:

@imgmoney said:

I did comparison few days ago between lomp vs lemp.

Ols setup was slower than nginx in 30-33%
    Means with PHP fpm + nginx I got higher rps than with ols. With plugins or around 12% slower when no caching plugins.

I don't understand why ols put fakes on their front page about benchmarks

OLS? I am not speaking about OLS, I am speaking about the ELS. We are using ELS on a woo-commerce based e-commerce store where we get 100K traffic daily on a small dedicated server.

And I used caching plugins and so the website loads in less than 2 seconds. Why are you using without caching plugins when everything can be done with proper cache setup for the front end?

If I have a way to use varnish cache, I would say goodbye to ELS. Because 90% of my other sites are powered by Nginx + varnish. Each of them has its own benefits. But Litespeed has plugins and a more sophisticated setup in the WordPress backend to do it all easy.

And for the OP, it will be more easier for him to switch to NexusBytes and try it as he is just starting the store. And he will be having more comfort in using LiteSpeed as it makes use of .htaccess and can easily secure stuff with wordfence as 90% of WordPress gets hacked if it is not managed properly and using Nginx.