Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any advantage to SSD for small static site on a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any advantage to SSD for small static site on a VPS?

hnzlethnzlet Member
edited July 2021 in General

I have a small static site, <50 pages. Just HTML, CSS, images, and the tiniest sprinkle of JS. No PHP or dynamic content or anything.

Is there any practical advantage for website speed to choose a VPS with SSD storage rather than HDD? If you have enough RAM, doesn't Linux cache stuff in the page cache, so it'll just serve the content from RAM anyway?

I love the speed of SSDs on my own computers, but wondering if it's really worth spending more for on a static site server.

edit: I'm aware of Netlify, Cloudflare Pages, etc. for hosting static sites for free. Just wondering about VPSes.

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2021

If the whole website content, along with HTTP and TLS servers, can fit in RAM cache, there would be no performance difference when the cache has warmed up.
    You can even setup a ramdisk and copy all the content into it, to guarantee the content is served from RAM.

Thanked by 2hnzlet o_be_one
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2021

You can put whole site / nginx cache on ram with tempfs. Even without it I doubt you'll see difference on static site. if you would generate pages and use database then its different story.
    My friend was using HDD VPS on pretty big wordpress site, year ago he upgraded and theres no difference because he was caching pages.

Thanked by 1hnzlet
  • When i read static website, i automaticly think about S3 hosting, or GitLab / GitHub hosting. I guess with a good caching in front it should be awesome, like a free CloudFlare for example.

Anyway i don 't see SSD as a + for a static website as long your site is cached in ram.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2021

@o_be_one said:
    When i read static website, i automaticly think about S3 hosting, or GitLab / GitHub hosting. I guess with a good caching in front it should be awesome, like a free CloudFlare for example.

Anyway i don 't see SSD as a + for a static website as long your site is cached in ram.

I think Cloudflare Pages is the best. It has very high limits, has serverless functions etc. Even the default URL ***.pages.dev looks nicer.

Cloudflare Pages
    20k files, 25MB file size (theoretical 500GB space, free hostsolutions alternative lol)
    Unlimited transfer
    Analytics, Cloudflare Workers

GitLab
    10GB space
    Unlimited transfer

GitHub
    1GB space
    100GB / mo transfer

I don't see real reason to consider GitHub Pages now - another con is that they don't allow to host any commercial sites. Only personal stuff is allowed.

Thanked by 1o_be_one