Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Stop WordPress admin brute-force attacks?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to Stop WordPress admin brute-force attacks?

I have changed WordPress admin URL, disabled XMLRPC, enabled CAPTCHA for admin locations.

But still getting WordPress admin brute-force attacks notifications via email.

How are you dealing with this?

Comments

• mrTommrTom Member

https://de.wordpress.org/plugins/limit-login-attempts-reloaded/

first plugin i install on any new wordpress site. then turn off notifications and problem solved.

a captcha is annoying for legitimate users IMHO.

• Delete WordPress.

• ForwardWebForwardWeb Member, Host Rep

@hivalidity said:
    I have changed WordPress admin URL, disabled XMLRPC, enabled CAPTCHA for admin locations.

Assuming this isnt some form of root level attack and you are certain your shared environment is solid. Try WP Defender https://wpmudev.com/project/wp-defender/with Stop Spammers https://wordpress.org/plugins/stop-spammer-registrations-plugin/ (block out countries where most of the attacks are coming from).

You can also try something like Cloudflare, but might be an overkill for this particular type of attack.

• eriseris Member

You can't stop the brute froce attacks. You might be able to block access to /wp-admin/ and wp-login.php with .htaccess or nginx rule and / or limit it only to a certain ip adress.

• StrypStryp Member

Rename wp-login if you are the only user and save the link as a bookmark, it stopped the attacks immediately when no bots knew where to log in.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@hivalidity said:

If you're the only one accessing WP Admin, just got the URL behind Cloudflare Gateway Access if you use Cloudflare https://www.cloudflare.com/teams/access/. If there's a group of admins, you can still setup CF Gateway Access just more whitelisted users for other admins etc.

• pafpaf Member

First question you should ask is if you need one more plug-in? Many times the answer is no.

My suggestion is to use fail2ban combined with whatever web server you use.
    Example:
    https://osric.com/chris/accidental-developer/2019/07/block-wordpress-scanners-fail2ban/

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2021

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/how-to-secure-wordpress-without-a-security-plugin

Some good tips in here instead of generic fluff .

Also: block "admin" or "administrator" or similar accounts.

Create an admin account with a unique I'd. Another one for author with editor access.

• fazarfazar Member

fail2ban can limit (and block) invalid login attempts.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2021

@alexvolk said:
    Delete WordPress.

Dude, this. So much.

We're moving to BashBlog: https://github.com/cfenollosa/bashblog

I tried the hipster shit like Hugo and Jeykll. But why go through all that hassle when you can just do it via bash on a software stack that isn't stupidly heavy? No php, no DB, no ruby, python, rust, symphony, 4GB of ram needed to compile a change to a template file, etc, etc, etc.

It's bash. It makes html pages. It's great. We'll have a fork available soon since we're doing some thangs with it.

• xiblxibl Member

Use httaccess and limit it to your IP

• nvmenvme Member

Use cloudflare firewall and simply block access to wp-admin, xmlrpc and wp-login URL.

You can whitelist your home broadband IP if it is static one or just login to CF and disable firewall rules. Once you are done updating your site, you can enable it.

No need to use wp plugins.

1. Change wp-admin username and password with a strong complex one.
    2. Change the wp-admin directory to a different name that is not easily guessable
    3. Use plugins which are favourable to prevent brutforce attacks and keep using the latest update of them
    4. use htpasswd authentication for wordpress admin directory
    5. If you are using WHM/cPanel, use CSF firewall and tweak them
    6. try to configure CT_LIMIT
    7. Stop unwanted bots and crawlers using modsecurity or via apache include directory
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MannDude said: It's bash.

Dude, this is the most hipster shit ever. Empiraclly.

The fundamental value proposition for this script fails because its premise is flawed. I imagine one of the claims is "you don't have to install anything to use it". Well, both perl and python are part of the LSB and they're both on your Linux system. So why not write a light-weight SSG in perl or python? Both are better suited for the job.

Answer: author wants to be a hipster.

Saying "it's bash" is slightly disingenuous because "it's bash" but bash is never just bash. Some of the heavy lifting is done by awk, sed, etc. I know a lot of people think of awk and sed as "just utilities" but awk is a full-featured programming language and quite a few people (including yours truly) wrote entire applications in awk before there were better alternatives.

Doing any complex string processing (or really anything complex) in bash is usually a mistake. I used to write a lot of stuff like this...back in the early 90s. Then perl and python came along and made life so much better. I still write bash when it's appropriate but fortunately that is rare as doing this kind of complex document generation in bash feels like having a hand tied behind one's back. Of course, one can do an SSG in bash...the question is why would one want to? Why not fortran or COBOL?

But hey, party on - I can appreciate the wackiness of it. Or as some might say, the hipster shittery of it.

If you are modifying it, I would note:

• there's a lot of hard-coded stuff that could be in external source files to avoid having to modify the script
    • I guess the original author never heard of printf (which has been a bash builtin for some time). A tragedy.

@MannDude said: I tried the hipster shit like Hugo and Jeykll. But why go through all that hassle when you can just do it via bash on a software stack that isn't stupidly heavy? No php, no DB, no ruby, python, rust, symphony, 4GB of ram needed to compile a change to a template file, etc, etc, etc.

You could certainly make this valid case. However,

• I'm sure if one looked, one could find svelte perl/python/etc. SSGs written in a saner choice than bash without the "stupid heavy"
    • Hugo (don't know about jekyll) may be hipster but isn't shit...in particular, one of its strengths is its ability to build massive sites in seconds
    • I'm not sure why you listed php, DB, etc. All of the SSGs I know of emit HTML/CSS/JS output

</ @jsg mode>

Thanked by 1MannDude