Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chicago Ryzen VDS for game server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Chicago Ryzen VDS for game server

noxinoxi Member

Hello LET,

I'm planning on switching hosting providers since I'm not satisfied with my current host. I run a few popular TF2 servers, currently we get dropped packets every 20-40 minutes (as of recent, more frequent). I've tried working with my host to fix the problem, but nothing came of it. Another group of popular servers also hosted with them are facing the same issues. It's not a very nice experience when you are frozen for a full second.

So, I'm looking to get a 4th gen Ryzen CPU (5950x/5900x/5900/5800x/5800/5600x) since SRCDS needs high single core performance (If at all possible overclocked, I'm stretching with that question but you never know).
People from all across NA play on the server (and even a few from overseas) so it would need to be route optimized (BGP?) with as many peers as possible.
We have had quite a few situations where we have gotten DDoS'd, so fast automatic DDoS mitigation is also a requirement.
It would be nice to have access to adding hardware firewall rules, but this is not a requirement.

I'd like the server provider to have been in business for at least 4 years. If the server is a fit, we would like to stay for years to come.

• Chicago location
  • At least 2 cores (dedicated and unshared)
  • 4GB of ram
  • 50GB+ of ssd storage (nvme?)
  • 1-2 IPv4s
  • 5TB of bandwidth @ 1Gbps
  • DDoS protected

I have a budget of around $50 a month (swap to quarterly after testing/being happy?)

Thanks!

Comments

• noxinoxi Member

Still looking for this

• @NDTN has always treated me well in Chicago maybe he can help you.

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited August 2021

Id recommend to you https://www.nfoservers.com/order-virtual-dedicated-server.php

If your just running TF2 they have a managed game server that gives you as many game servers as you need each with there own IP address. Chicago is there best spot for DDoS protection.

$49 a month
    Ten virtual CPU cores
    10240 MB of RAM
    600 GB of RAID-protected storage
    60000 GB of bandwidth transfer

I'm not sure if they have Ryzen but I know they have some high spec machines you could get placed on.

I started using NFO back in 2009 and still do, there is always hiccups with any service but there pretty consistent and fix things if there are problems

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@acidpuke said:
    Id recommend to you https://www.nfoservers.com/order-virtual-dedicated-server.php

If your just running TF2 they have a managed game server that gives you as many game servers as you need each with there own IP address. Chicago is there best spot for DDoS protection.

$49 a month
    Ten virtual CPU cores
    10240 MB of RAM
    600 GB of RAID-protected storage
    60000 GB of bandwidth transfer

I'm not sure if they have Ryzen but I know they have some high spec machines you could get placed on.

I started using NFO back in 2009 and still do, there is always hiccups with any service but there pretty consistent and fix things if there are problems

+1 for NFO. I have used them for game & voice servers for well over 10 years and they have been flawless.

Always had plenty of resources on my own hardware, but I've found NFOs network & DDoS protection is always the right choice for any game server I make revenue from.

• +1 for NFO... support is good

• BloomVPSBloomVPS Member, Patron Provider

Hey we are doing a big restock on our Dedicated Core 5950X VPS in Dallas in about a week- 10 days. We use Cloudflare Magic Transit for L3/L4 DDoS protection. Our servers are not overclocked but they are properly cooled. We've only been in business for a little over a year but our customers are very happy with our service. We also offer a 72 hour no questions asked refund if you try us out and it's not a good fit.

• @BloomVPS said: Hey we are doing a big restock on our Dedicated Core 5950X VPS in Dallas

Since OP specifically asked for Chicago, I guess you are referring to your datecenter in Dallas City, IL? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_City,_Illinois

No, I was suggesting Dallas since he mentioned Chicago due to having players all over the US. Dallas is similarly centrally-located offering good latency to players on both coasts.

• noxinoxi Member
    edited August 2021

This is actually who we are with currently and have been for a few years now, I just didn't want to call them out. We were happy with them in the beginning, but in the last year or so we started having problems. Went through support to try and fix the problem, but nobody could figure out what the problem was. I stripped right down to barebones SRCDS and the problem persisted. Another large group of servers with them is also having the exact same issue, and they also have had no luck fixing it.

@BloomVPS said:
    No, I was suggesting Dallas since he mentioned Chicago due to having players all over the US. Dallas is similarly centrally-located offering good latency to players on both coasts.

Sadly we require Chicago, our playerbase is really picky, and if we moved to Dallas, we would get eaten out.

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@jugganuts said:
    @NDTN has always treated me well in Chicago maybe he can help you.

Thank you for the mention! Unfortunately we do not allow Gameservers on our VPS.
    Thanks!

edited August 2021

@noxi said:

This is actually who we are with currently and have been for a few years now, I just didn't want to call them out. We were happy with them in the beginning, but in the last year or so we started having problems. Went through support to try and fix the problem, but nobody could figure out what the problem was. I stripped right down to barebones SRCDS and the problem persisted. Another large group of servers with them is also having the exact same issue, and they also have had no luck fixing it.

@BloomVPS said:

Sadly we require Chicago, our playerbase is really picky, and if we moved to Dallas, we would get eaten out.

I totally understand. If you change your mind and want to give us a shot, I'm happy to do a free trial to test your players' connection - with CF routing a lot of people see improved ping.

• noxinoxi Member

@BloomVPS said:
    I totally understand. If you change your mind and want to give us a shot, I'm happy to do a free trial to test your players' connection - with CF routing a lot of people see improved ping.

Do you have a looking glass so I can tracert and test pings, etc?
    If it's comparable, we may be interested.

@noxi said:

@BloomVPS said:

You can ping/tracert dal.bloom.host

http://ping.pe/dal.bloom.host shows a bunch of routes.

• @noxi said:

@BloomVPS said:

In that case then I would recommend you don't use a VDS and try a standalone server that runs on bare metal no virtualization .. Good chance the issues your facing is because of the hypervisor, hit responses are not as accurate.

• @BloomVPS said:

@noxi said:

@BloomVPS said:

Out of curiosity, do you have bidirectional CloudFlare Transit? I've seen some providers with CloudFlare Transit only on incoming bandwidth.

edited August 2021

@ehhthing said:

@BloomVPS said:

@noxi said:

@BloomVPS said:

Out of curiosity, do you have bidirectional CloudFlare Transit? I've seen some providers with CloudFlare Transit only on incoming bandwidth.

Cloudflare Magic Transit is an ingress-only service. We will be beta testing Magic Transit Egress but based on the cost of MT as a whole its unlikely we will use it. We've had no issues with TCP floods even though they are tracking ingress only.

Egress will help more with routing for some people but even just having them route our ingress traffic has improved latency for people.

• noxinoxi Member

@BloomVPS said:

@noxi said:

@BloomVPS said:

Just want to get back here, player routes are looking promising, just want to get a few more people up north to test. If everything is comparable, we will be going with you atleast to test.

Also, what port speed are the boxes?

edited August 2021

@noxi said:

@BloomVPS said:

@noxi said:

@BloomVPS said:

Just want to get back here, player routes are looking promising, just want to get a few more people up north to test. If everything is comparable, we will be going with you atleast to test.

Also, what port speed are the boxes?

Boxes are 1Gbps, but since we dedicate everything we only have ~10-12 people on each 5950X box so port speed isn't an issue. All of our nodes' resources are public on https://status.bloom.host so you can get an idea of the network and CPU usage.

• Bumping, still looking.