Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to start a small hosting company? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to start a small hosting company?

2»

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2021

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:
    Don't think small, think big, go buy out @seriesn (Nexusbytes) in 1 year as your goal.
    Go buy out @Francisco (BuyVM) next until the planet is yours.
    Then take mars.

Go buy out NOVOS and microLXC.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

I think the most important thing is to have the correct mindset and based on what you've said so far, I think you should hold off until that time comes.

Don't start a small hosting company if you're trying to make money. Starting with a small budget and growing slowly is actually the correct way to do it in situation, but you still have to have enough money to be able to lose money, relative to the level of risk you are taking. You also have to realize the great amount of responsibility you will have, regardless of how little money you are making or losing. You have to be prepared to spend all your free time as required, if you do not have the budget to give others money to deal with problems that arise on your behalf.

I suggest starting something out with that budget, as you learn, but make sure you let everyone know that they should not in any way use you/rely on you and perhaps do not charge any money to start. This should give you a good experience over the summer without needlessly hurting others, and it'll make you more prepared to understand some things. Then, once you are able to be in the correct mindset to consider it at a more serious level at a later time, you can actually end up doing a good job. If you think this is something you'd be interested in, I can give you a server that's worth a lot more than your budget and gradually increase the cost over 6 months to the actual cost (not including any profits for us, at-cost.) My only "rule" would be that you either do not charge money for it, or make your intentions very clean and only sell month-to-month service. Ensure in your privacy policy you state that the customers' information may be shared with us, and if you fall behind on payments, I ask that you provide this information so we can properly notify people that the service cannot be renewed, provide them with their last month of service, and give them an appropriate amount of time to move their service.

• It's simple: get a job working for a hosting service and let them pay you and train you. When you do not have anything else to learn from them and you think you can do it better, then start your company.

Thanked by 2scooke o_be_one
  • @TimboJones said:
    It's simple: get a job working for a hosting service and let them pay you and train you. When you do not have anything else to learn from them and you think you can do it better, then start your company.

Sounds like every job :D

• darbdarb Member
    edited July 2021

@mhmhmhmhmh said:
    I wanted to know how I can start a small hosting company?
    like start with $10 or $30-40 and grow it slowly.

What could possibly go wrong; a bit of pocket change, an equal amount of motivation equals success on LET.

Nothing but a troll; no one in their right mind would ever make a statement like that.

• @darb - there are more than a few provider son let that started with reseller accounts - I can name2 without even thinking. It may not have been $10 but pretty damn close

• No one talk about business auth yet? :o

• @VirMach said: suggest starting something out with that budget, as you learn, but make sure you let everyone know that they should not in any way use you/rely on you and perhaps do not charge any money to start. This should give you a good experience over the summer without needlessly hurting others, and it'll make you more prepared to understand some things. Then, once you are able to be in the correct mindset to consider it at a more serious level at a later time, you can actually end up doing a good job.

Reminds me 15y ago, when i was hosting some friends and people i've found online with good websites, for free on my "super dedicated server" at Ikoula :D. Hey, cool experience, i've hosted them for free for years, most of them now works in what they did online in the past. Crazy ^^.

• darbdarb Member

Sure, there is always the story of the poor immingrant that came to the country and strated a successful business with $5 in his pocket.

But the reality is that to do business in most jurisdictions under anything but his/her legal name is going to require a few $$ to register a business name Along with $10 or so to register a cheap domain name has blown the projected budget before it has gotten off of the ground.

Then there are the required skills associated with admin and support and if you mess up, you are going to accumulate a bad reputation on the web pretty quick which is hard to shake.

I would say that there is better than 99.5% chance that, if serious this projected startup plan is destined to fail. If the poster is indeed serious, he/she needs an honest opinion as to the viability, not be fed false dreams or sold products for the benefit of others.

@databoss said:
    @darb - there are more than a few provider son let that started with reseller accounts - I can name2 without even thinking. It may not have been $10 but pretty damn close

• I'd be glad to help you out with this, feel free to DM me <3