Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PayPal increasing fees for online transactions from August 2nd - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PayPal increasing fees for online transactions from August 2nd

13»

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@SplitIce said:

@M66B said: Can you please give a link to this page?

ditto

@M66B said:

@VirMach said:

@WebProject said:

@JasonM said:

@M66B said: Maybe PayPal micro payments are an option:

What if the transaction cost is more than $12? Does it fall under their micropayment rate or they charge regular rate for this?

It will cost more.

PayPal micropayment rate is 5% (6% for crossborder transactions) + $0.05 USD per transaction.

Note: Micropayment pricing applies to all transactions regardless of the transaction amount. For example, with micropayments pricing, it would cost $0.25 USD to receive a $4USD payment and it would cost $1.05 USD to receive a $20 USD payment.

They do seem to have a new page up recently that allows you to have a type of "hybrid" account as I bet a lot of people have been asking their account manager about micropayments recently.

So from what I understand it means it'll auto switch over to the lowest rate available.

Can you please give a link to this page?

Here it is, it's called "dynamic" pricing for micropayments.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-do-the-upcoming-pricing-changes-mean-for-dynamic-micropayments-faq4545

• M66BM66B Veteran
    edited July 2021

@VirMach said:

@SplitIce said:

ditto

@M66B said:

@VirMach said:

@WebProject said:

@JasonM said:

What if the transaction cost is more than $12? Does it fall under their micropayment rate or they charge regular rate for this?

It will cost more.

PayPal micropayment rate is 5% (6% for crossborder transactions) + $0.05 USD per transaction.

Note: Micropayment pricing applies to all transactions regardless of the transaction amount. For example, with micropayments pricing, it would cost $0.25 USD to receive a $4USD payment and it would cost $1.05 USD to receive a $20 USD payment.

They do seem to have a new page up recently that allows you to have a type of "hybrid" account as I bet a lot of people have been asking their account manager about micropayments recently.

So from what I understand it means it'll auto switch over to the lowest rate available.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-do-the-upcoming-pricing-changes-mean-for-dynamic-micropayments-faq4545

Thanks. I guess we need to go hunt now through the "smart" help about how to apply for dynamic micro payments. It will be hidden on an obscure page with tiny letters for sure, the PayPal way.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@M66B said:

@VirMach said:

@SplitIce said:

ditto

@M66B said:

@VirMach said:

@WebProject said:

@JasonM said:

It will cost more.

Thanks. I guess we need to go hunt now through the "smart" help about how to apply for dynamic micro payments. It will be hidden on an obscure page with tiny letters for sure, the PayPal way.

Our account manager/executive or whatever they call him is trying to avoid doing it hardcore as well so we just removed PayPal for now all together for new customers, he just stopped replying to us a week ago, after saying "we can try" when we asked a specific question about Micropayments as if he wasn't sure how to do his job.

• M66BM66B Veteran

@VirMach said:

@M66B said:

@VirMach said:

@SplitIce said:

ditto

@M66B said:

@VirMach said:

@WebProject said:

@JasonM said:

It will cost more.

Our account manager/executive or whatever they call him is trying to avoid doing it hardcore as well so we just removed PayPal for now all together for new customers, he just stopped replying to us a week ago, after saying "we can try" when we asked a specific question about Micropayments as if he wasn't sure how to do his job.

In their defense: this will be applicable from August 2, which means that this is all new.

I am wondering if this will be rolled out world wide or only in the USA.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

BTW. I still not understand why people still use 3rd party wallets now. Card company around the world now decent enough and any card holder can issue virtual card and use it for payment. It's easy, it is cheap (many virtual cards issued for free), it's safe (you can block virtual card anytime). So wallets now just not needed i guess.

• DrvDrv Member
    edited July 2021

I dont think any bank in my country offers virtual cards.
    Better keep paypal as an option but increase the prices for this payment option. Dont remove this, a lot of people pay only with paypal.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

For sellers this can be a problem. For example by law here in Russia we need list prices with all taxes and commission (i.e. show final price). But we cannot because we have various type of customers. Some pay directly to our bank account by wire and there we did not pay any commission to 3rd party, but others is persons who can pay for example by PayPal (or any other 3rd party company: QIWI, Webmoney, PayPal etc.) and we need to pay commission and it is big enough (from lowest 2% till to 7% or even 10%). That is why we still list our prices based on payment by wire payment and show to customer commission rate for each processing company separately but this is against Russian law.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@JasonM said: Rates have declined F you do not want chargeback protection.

Has anyone looked into to how to have this disabled? It's not like Paypal has ever helped much with chargebacks.

• @pavan said:
    I think stripe also has a page where users can directly cancel their subscription.

Stripe has a client portal.
    https://stripe.com/blog/billing-customer-portal
    It's one per service, so not easy to manage in one place.
    There is no refund button, so users could only reaching out to their bank/card provider to file a dispute.
    Many service providers only have a refund period for the first payment. In fact, if the renewal period is long, there should be a refund period after each deduction. No one wants to be automatically deducted when they are reluctant.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited July 2021

@rustelekom said:
    For sellers this can be a problem. For example by law here in Russia we need list prices with all taxes and commission (i.e. show final price). But we cannot because we have various type of customers. Some pay directly to our bank account by wire and there we did not pay any commission to 3rd party, but others is persons who can pay for example by PayPal (or any other 3rd party company: QIWI, Webmoney, PayPal etc.) and we need to pay commission and it is big enough (from lowest 2% till to 7% or even 10%). That is why we still list our prices based on payment by wire payment and show to customer commission rate for each processing company separately but this is against Russian law.

Or, you can just factor it into the cost in the first place like the rest of the world does.

There's like a dozen boxes of cereal all priced the same on the grocery shelves, but some have nuts, berries or real honey, etc. But they're consistently priced the same and the profit varies.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@TimboJones I wish nutfeast was priced the same as cornflakes. Damn that stuff was great (it's been discontinued).

At $7 for a small box it was always a treat, a $2 box of Wheatbix or Cornflakes went alot further and cost less than a third.

• @SplitIce said:
    @TimboJones I wish nutfeast was priced the same as cornflakes. Damn that stuff was great (it's been discontinued).

At $7 for a small box it was always a treat, a $2 box of Wheatbix or Cornflakes went alot further and cost less than a third.

Never heard of nutfeast, but not surprised.