Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Novos Brick is out. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Novos Brick is out.

2»

Comments

• boerndboernd Member
    edited July 2021

@yoursunny said:
    I made my own storage service: Deep Atlantic Storage.

Can we see what was uploaded so far?

Thanked by 2yoursunny mcduquesne
  • @drunkendog said:

@TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:
    A 16TB drive you used to be able to buy for $140

Where the fuck was this? 8TB's were only going on sale for $199 (CAD, think 30% higher than USD) on BF and Prime days and shit last year. You couldn't even do $140 from limited quantity shucking.

Sorry, that was a ballpark number. However, I was able to find this from 3 months ago, so the price shouldn't be significantly different. Even if you double the cost, it doesn't significantly change the profitability of Chia mining,

224 days ago is not 3 months.

• @yoursunny said:

• Any file, any size, any content.
    • Secure storage deep in the Atlantic Ocean.
    • Advanced sorting technology keeps your data neatly ordered.
    • Download without an Internet connection via the Deep Atlantic Storage app.

This would become where I store my secondary backups.

See also: How Many Servers Do You Need for a Crucial Website? aka "how many backups do you need for crucial data"

You've got too much free time.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:

@TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:

Where the fuck was this? 8TB's were only going on sale for $199 (CAD, think 30% higher than USD) on BF and Prime days and shit last year. You couldn't even do $140 from limited quantity shucking.

Sorry, that was a ballpark number. However, I was able to find this from 3 months ago, so the price shouldn't be significantly different. Even if you double the cost, it doesn't significantly change the profitability of Chia mining,

Sorry about that, I apparently missed that. However, this doesn't change my point at all because I was referencing pre-Chia prices, which 7 months ago assuredly was.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2021

@boernd said:

@yoursunny said:

Can we see what was uploaded so far?

When someone uploads a file, the webpage sorts the file and returns its coordinates in the Atlantic Ocean encoded as an URI.
    The only way to see what files have been uploaded is getting a sailboat to explore the Atlantic Ocean, especially the Bermuda Triangle region.

This guy was sailing solo on the Pacific.
    I'm sure he came across a few files uploaded to a similar storage service based out of the Pacific Ocean.

If you decide to go, please also keep an eye out for Flight 19 wreckage.

@TimboJones said:
    You've got too much free time.

Thank you for your support.
    Our advanced technology allows the file to be stored forever for free with no time limit.
    Using the Deep Atlantic Storage app, the file remains available even if the Internet ceases to exist.

• @drunkendog said:

@TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:

@TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:

Sorry about that, I apparently missed that. However, this doesn't change my point at all because I was referencing pre-Chia prices, which 7 months ago assuredly was.

You also can't point to a special limited sale as the baseline, either. That's not an example of average pricing available for hard drives. These external drives have lower performance, warranty and takes up USB ports, etc.

• @TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:

@TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:

@TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:

You also can't point to a special limited sale as the baseline, either. That's not an example of average pricing available for hard drives. These external drives have lower performance, warranty and takes up USB ports, etc.

Farming uses almost no resources, and you can run it off a raspberry pi, so consumer grade hard drives won't be the limiter. Also, these sales are regular sales that happen very often (my ballpark estimate would be 20 times a year), and the drives are shuckable so that isn't a huge disadvantage (there's an entire community that almost exclusively uses these drives).

Can I please ask you to stop focusing on the numbers and look at the big idea? Chia mining is profitable enough that a price difference of 2x won't significantly affect anything, and you haven't even pointed anything out that makes such a big difference.

• JioJio Member

is novos being sold or something else? https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1851347

Thanked by 3yoursunny dosai default
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Jio said:
    is novos being sold or something else? https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1851347

Depending on who buys NOVOS, it could end up like either 👍 AnyNode or 👎 Spamware Networks.
    Make your predictions.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Nooooooo. Have a VPS with them for 6 months now, guess it's time to look for a new provider.

• defaultdefault Veteran

So it's not just Novos going down, there are multiple brands?

• @drunkendog said:

@TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:

@TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:

@TimboJones said:

@drunkendog said:

Farming uses almost no resources, and you can run it off a raspberry pi, so consumer grade hard drives won't be the limiter. Also, these sales are regular sales that happen very often (my ballpark estimate would be 20 times a year), and the drives are shuckable so that isn't a huge disadvantage (there's an entire community that almost exclusively uses these drives).

You don't value your time or effort.