Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ad hoc remote login host - best solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ad hoc remote login host - best solution?

I want to login to a remote server, so I can use a web browser that has a different IP address. It can be a Windows or Linux server, since Linux has Firefox etc which I can use.

Are there any solutions where you only pay by the minute and so can freeze use of it between sessions? I might only be using it for like 15 minutes worth of web surfing per day and so don't need 24/7 setup. Wondering if some cloud based solutions do this.

Comments

• AidanAidan Member

Wouldn't a VPN or proxy make more sense?

• That is one solution, but I'm looking for something different, as stated above.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

You mean something like Amazon WorkSpaces?

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

You could use a Windows or Linux VPS paid by the hour, like we offer.

We have ready built Windows images, we could look into some Ubuntu desktop images if needed.

• KassemKassem Member

@thedp said: You mean something like Amazon WorkSpaces?

Expensive and slow.

@Jon12345

Give this a try:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-a-remote-desktop-with-x2go-on-ubuntu-20-04

I wouldn't say it is best but it works. You can setup this on any VPS.

If you want to avoid using it for 24 hours, you can create a script that gets this setup whenever you need it (some providers have startup scripts too that you can pick when creating the VM or even using its API). Another way is create a snapshot (on providers supporting snapshots feature) and just stand a VM from that snapshot when needed but I didn't try to do that.

• @Jon12345 said:
    I might only be using it for like 15 minutes worth of web surfing per day and so don't need 24/7 setup. Wondering if some cloud based solutions do this.

Hetzner clous ans make an image of it before destroying the vps.. the next day, you just rebuild using saved image you have..

• @thedp said:
    You mean something like Amazon WorkSpaces?

I had a long look at Amazon Workspaces and at first I thought that was exactly what I wanted. Then I found it was very complicated to set up!