Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Raising Setup fees?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Raising Setup fees?

aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

Hey,

The setup fee on the AX101-NVME is now €199, and the SX lines are like €299 and €499.

Are they really getting slammed with part shortages?

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24

Comments

• So there will be less people who want to buy for transfer..

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Demand too high?

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Hetzners setup fees are meant to help them fund the server. As you know server hardware is crazy expensive currently (particularly SSDs and RAM). Combine that with high demand and you have a recipe for price increases.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Blame miners, not the host.

• How much was the original monthly price? I didnt remember.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2021

If someone pays over 600€ setup fees for a privilege to rent a server server, good for them. 1000€ first month lol. Just buy a physical machine for colo at that point, and slowly add more HDDs at the cost of that almost 400€/m rent price.

Coloing this thing costs 30-80€/m on average depending on your bandwidth requirements and location.

Thanked by 1iNK79
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2021

@Arirang said:
    How much was the original monthly price? I didnt remember.

Setup fees were 85% of the monthly price. and the monthly price was under 300€/m if I remember correctly.

However, they did increase disk sizes from 12TB to 16TB

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:

@Arirang said:

Setup fees were 85% of the monthly price. and the monthly price was under 300€/m if I remember correctly.

The last I remember, they were always 16TB disks.

Thanked by 1mikewazar
  • iNK79iNK79 Member

they changed the CPU

• @stefeman said:

@Arirang said:

My Intel SX63 delivered shortly before they stopped selling them is 4x 16TB

• They also removed the nvme.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@Hadriel said:
    They also removed the nvme.

I don't think there was ever a NVMe SX-Line

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited June 2021

Sx133 had 2x nvme. I rent several.

Intel® Xeon® W-2145 8 cores, 16 threads,
    128 GB DDR4 ECC,
    2 x 960 GB NVMe SSD,
    10 x 16 TB (SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 rpm) a whooping 160 TB of storage,
    1 Gbit/s connection,
    Unlimited traffic,
    € 159.00 (without TAX)

This was the old offer.

For US pricing it's 30 euros more, no nvme, and arguably a worse processor. If you need more than 128gb of RAM.

It's still I think a decent offer but no where near as good as sx133.

• The SX134 does have 2 x 960 GB NVMe SSDs. It looks like the only differences from the previous model are the CPU, the higher monthly price, and the higher setup fee.

• Thats what I get for checking it on mobile. The table, for some reason, isn't showing me any NVME. Oh well. I still think its a good offer. Just not as good.

• @stefeman said:

If someone pays over 600€ setup fees for a privilege to rent a server server, good for them. 1000€ first month lol. Just buy a physical machine for colo at that point, and slowly add more HDDs at the cost of that almost 400€/m rent price.

Coloing this thing costs 30-80€/m on average depending on your bandwidth requirements and location.

Everytime you add a drive, isn't that $50-$100 in labour and downtime?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@stefeman said:

that will take long and doesn't add up. a single 16TB HDD alone is going to eat up that 300-400€ monthly and the sx294 you are referring to with the "1k first month" has 14! of these... so you'd need over a year to add that 'over time'.
    let alone that there is also 256GB RAM and 2x 3.8TB nvme in there which you most likely also cannot cover from the initial 1k and would need to add to your roadmap. factor in colocation cost, which probably are on the upper end of your assumption because of the power requirements and keep in mind the unlimited traffic for rented dedis.

so you have a similar setup ready, paid for and colo'd when? after 2 years, if at all? if you do not need the ressources right now, but maybe in two years, obviously it does not make sense to rent such dedi at all - but maybe that's just me.

Thanked by 2iNK79 chocolateshirt