Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS 8.2 Update Broke
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS 8.2 Update Broke

JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

OK,

I made the mistake - I updated my WHMCS to 8.2 and now it broke.

1. first of all it broke their MarketConnect:
    Whoops\Exception\ErrorException: Method WHMCS\MarketConnect\Promotion\Promotion::__toString() must not throw an exception, caught Error: Call to a member function isYearly() on null in

2. Then I noticed my daily cron email isn't sending the digest email - all other emails seem fine. Running the cron manually seemed fine (but no digest email)

Automated Task: Starting Server Usage Stats - seems to take 30 minutes now??
Automated Task: Starting Tenant Usage Metrics - seems to take 30 minutes+ now??

support hasn't been much use so far.....

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

GG & WP. Best of luck to you.

• That's why is better to run a dev site before you update your main site.

• LeviLevi Member

@AndreiGhesi said:
    That's why is better to run a dev site before you update your main site.

Life is to short for dev. You go live or go home.

Thanked by 1RHCHosting
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2021

That's why I always wait a bit till I Upgrade WHMCS.

Wait and see if others or WHMCS report problems and/or another Bugfix. Then use my WHMCS dev license to check and do a non-production copy of our install and after that if all good, pull it live.

Especially while we have plugins we coded ourself to Import invoices to offline accounting/booking. Etc etc

Im still not on 8 either but latest 7.10.x . We will Release a fully New website with Upgrade To 8

It can be aids and loosing money/customers if it goes wrong

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

usually I wait, but didn't see much in the change logs and it was prompting me...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Never trust the changelogs.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Ah good'ol WHMCS & their updates breaking the system.

I'm surprised this is still the same even after so many years.

I learned it the hard way years back :D never to immediately update any software - unless its related to critical security patch.

Thanked by 2Aidan VirMach
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

This is why I always take a snapshot/backup before I do an upgrade. Every single update I have done has always had issues.

• Auto provisioning didn't work for me after the upgrade. Had to drop the invoice table in MySQL and create it from scratch to make the provisioning work. Weird.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

How does this happen? How does a core file not get pulled into release?

Francisco

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

WHMCS is the type of system where even for minor updates you need to first copy it all over to a dev environment, read the changelogs, spend a week porting over all the changes manually because everything's broken and then when you're certain you cleaned it all up, you haven't since they forgot to mention they modified (for no particular reason) an entire subset of systems that they did not mention in the changelogs.

Once you end up looking too much into it to ensure you don't miss something and get good at it, you'll start to uncover all the bugs.

Hey, at least they don't charge licensing per user ... yet. Oh wait they basically do, they just have a cap. I'm sure after a few years of hard work, the team at WebPros will come up with the brilliant idea of copy/pasting their 30 cent an account model from cPanel. "Over the last 12 months, we have continued to listen and deliver many features and enhancements such as... adding more product upsells that we make commission on, therefore, we need even more money to enhance your experience in paying us."

• @VirMach said:
    WHMCS is the type of system where even for minor updates you need to first copy it all over to a dev environment, read the changelogs, spend a week porting over all the changes manually because everything's broken and then when you're certain you cleaned it all up, you haven't since they forgot to mention they modified (for no particular reason) an entire subset of systems that they did not mention in the changelogs.

Once you end up looking too much into it to ensure you don't miss something and get good at it, you'll start to uncover all the bugs.

Hey, at least they don't charge licensing per user ... yet. Oh wait they basically do, they just have a cap. I'm sure after a few years of hard work, the team at WebPros will come up with the brilliant idea of copy/pasting their 30 cent an account model from cPanel. "Over the last 12 months, we have continued to listen and deliver many features and enhancements such as... adding more product upsells that we make commission on, therefore, we need even more money to enhance your experience in paying us."

Switch over to Hostbill

• EvoxtEvoxt Member

How is WHMCS kept doing things like this and get away with this every single time. This is frustrating

• tjntjn Member

@SirFoxy said:
    Switch over to Hostbill

If only it were cheaper to get started.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2021

So far we haven't had issues with it. on 8.2

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I have my client exec license ready, but need a few more integrations before I move over @clientexec

I really can’t understand how a company can make stable releases so unstable.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@tjn said:

@SirFoxy said:
    Switch over to Hostbill

If only it were cheaper to get started.

For summer hosts, it's not cheaper.

For a proper business, it's ok.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • This is where I come in when whmcs issue an update waite 30 days then update all the bad updates will be good then....