Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosterlabs data breach - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosterlabs data breach

2»

Comments

• @dahartigan said:
    Apparently it was a quiz maker plugin for WordPress that involucrated the security...

Well, quiz makers are essential to a VM hoster. Oh wait...

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I seriously hope that quiz stuff is a joke.
    Right?

• @Maounique said:
    I seriously hope that quiz stuff is a joke.
    Right?

Unless he's trolling..

@Hosterlabs said:
    We had the plugin "quiz maker" installed, we believe the breach came from the specific plugin but for now we deactivated and uninstalled all non-essentials. The investigation is still ongoing, we decided to go ahead and send the e-mail before we had all the answers.

Source thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/171427/how-to-stop-all-negative-reviews/p3

He is trolling but I couldn't have made that stuff up...

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@kalimov622 said: ome hosts don't allow personal details change at all

Many hosts are required to have valid details for their customers.

By providing fake details do be aware you render youself liable to suspension (and this has nothing to do with the host being a dick, we all have to follow the law).

• That is correct and you can do that before paying your invoice. I'm pretty sure if the registration data and the invoice data are legit then you're good, considering that in case of a hack they would have the current data that is registered in the msyql table. Then again I would only consider this with less known hosts and not with the big ones such as hetzner, netcup, etc.

• All for a $7.60 per year 1GB you get your data leaked. At least I used a generated password.

Thanked by 1dystopia

@kalimov622 said: Then again I would only consider this with less known hosts and not with the big ones such as hetzner, netcup, etc.

https://www.csoonline.com/article/2130877/the-biggest-data-breaches-of-the-21st-century.html

• I know some of the biggest companies had data breaches but neither Hetzner or OVH are in that list. My point is, there is a smaller chance for these two companies to experience a data breach than a one year old hosting company or one that uses wordpress and such where I'm paying $20 a year or less for a VPS.

Hetzner and OVH are not big enough to be on that list.
    My point is that the chances are similar per person.
    1. The bigger the company, the more people after its data and more sophisticated the attacks;
    2. When a big company is breached, such as Yahoo, 3 bn accounts and about 1 bn people are affected, presumably, when a summer host is breached, 100 to 1000 people might be affected, there must be 3 million of such companies to affect the same number of accounts and people.

• @Hosterlabs, there are some errors that keep popping up when trying to edit account details.
    `Oops!
    Something went wrong and we couldn't process your request.

Please go back to the previous page and try again.

TypeError: Argument 1 passed to WHMCS\Module\Server\SolusIoVps\SolusAPI\Resources\UserResource::getUserByEmail() must be of the type string, null given, called in /home/hosterlabs.net/public_html/panel/modules/servers/solusiovps/hooks.php on line 83 and defined in /home/hosterlabs.net/public_html/panel/modules/servers/solusiovps/lib/SolusAPI/Resources/UserResource.php:44
    Stack trace:

0 /home/hosterlabs.net/public_html/panel/modules/servers/solusiovps/hooks.php(83): WHMCS\Module\Server\SolusIoVps\SolusAPI\Resources\UserResource->getUserByEmail()

1 /home/hosterlabs.net/public_html/panel/vendor/whmcs/whmcs-foundation/lib/Hook/Manager.php(0): WHMCS\Utility\SafeInclude::{closure}()

2 /home/hosterlabs.net/public_html/panel/vendor/whmcs/whmcs-foundation/lib/Hook/Manager.php(0): WHMCS\Hook\Manager->run()

3 /home/hosterlabs.net/public_html/panel/vendor/illuminate/support/Facades/Facade.php(261): WHMCS\Hook\Manager->validate()

4 /home/hosterlabs.net/public_html/panel/includes/functions.php(0): Illuminate\Support\Facades\Facade::__callStatic()

5 /home/hosterlabs.net/public_html/panel/includes/clientfunctions.php(0): run_validate_hook()

6 /home/hosterlabs.net/public_html/panel/clientarea.php(0): checkDetailsareValid()

7 {main}`

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@kalimov622 said:
    Stack trace:

display_errors in production, great.

edited July 2021

could have been only for a few minutes, this I can understand albeit snapshotting the VM to test separately is my option, sometimes might be impractical, though.
    Adding "fun" modules in production, though, especially on something with such a big attack surface already...

• @yoursunny said:

@kalimov622 said:
    Stack trace:

Sorry we are testing some modules.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@Hosterlabs said:

@yoursunny said:

@kalimov622 said:
    Stack trace:

I'd recommend you set up a test environment for that, and for testing the upgrade path doesn't break any of your customisations or modules when you update.

• @Hosterlabs said:

@yoursunny said:

@kalimov622 said:
    Stack trace:

These errors have been present since the breach, so they've been showing for at least two weeks. I didn't really test if they pop-up on other pages but every time one is trying to edit his account details he won't be able to and he will get these errors.

• g519g519 Member

I think they are getting close to deadpooled? An invoice was paid, now it mysteriously is unpaid, then server was suspended, no response to tickets. And ticket that was about the invoice previously has been edited.... sigh

• DrvDrv Member

Why isnt this data stored encrypted on the server?
    Why does companies store customer data in plain text?

• g519g519 Member

Service back to being restored, little slow on ticket responses, but for now, seems ok.. Hope it stays that way. :-)

• @Drv said:
    Why isnt this data stored encrypted on the server?
    Why does companies store customer data in plain text?

I wish we could do that with our software. Whmcs does not allow that and we can not change that because we have no access to the code.

@g519 said:
    Service back to being restored, little slow on ticket responses, but for now, seems ok.. Hope it stays that way. :-)

Yes we are making some changes / new designs and new website is still under construction which slows down our responses. We have moved to different servers , added security and we are in the process of hardening everything a lot more. It takes a lot of time and effort to harden all possible entry ways. We discovered that the hack was not from Wordpress, but from cyberpanel. As the way everything was accessed indicates a cyberpanel hack. Not vía Wordpress. Because cyberpanel databases were accessed and deleted as well for ransom. But the way to login/access to those databases is only from cyberpanel.

• @g519 said: Service back to being restored, little slow on ticket responses, but for now, seems ok.. Hope it stays that way. :-)

I have a ticket open with them for a couple of weeks now, the CA server is up and down like a roller coaster ever since and yet no response. I see he didn't visit the forums for nearly a month as well so not sure what's up with @Hosterlabs these days but it definitely doesn't look so good.