Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Little help from someone experienced
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Little help from someone experienced

BSABSA Member

Hi,

Just wondering if someone can help me please with a technical issue.

I have a VPS with DirectAdmin and OpenLiteSpeed webserver running. Everything is working great except that on a script I'm hosting I keep on getting the following error:

"Connection Timed Out After 15001 Milliseconds, Couldn't Connect To Host"

I have searched everything and everywhere, including changing the max_execution_time, but I can't find out which setting is making this script timeout after 15 seconds. All the settings were found to be 30 seconds and above and I've also changed them to something higher, yet this hasn't solved the issue. I even checked the timeout settings on the remote server it's connecting to and the settings are no different. There is nothing set to 15001 Milliseconds.

Hopefully someone has encountered this before and or someone experienced can guide me in the right direction.

Many thanks!

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

It's a connection that times out, not a script. And frankly, 15 seconds time out for a connection attempt is sufficient and in fact generous.

Try to find out where that scripts tries to connect to, maybe it's an outdated URL or FQDN.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It’ll take some time to get used to it, but if you’re up for it strace is often the easiest path to debugging this kind of thing:

https://www.scalingphpbook.com/blog/2016/04/03/my-favorite-simple-php-debugging-tool.html

Perhaps increasing PHP debug log levels and making sure you know where it’s putting the log may help, but when working for a shared hosting company I’d find myself having to troubleshoot a wealth of PHP scripts. Many of them I knew nothing about. A lot of them I would have to fix for the developer or for the user by myself. Strace is how I would gain the real insight into what was happening.

Timeouts were easy because you’d watch it make the call and then sit there. Often when this would occur, I’d find a Wordpress plugin that called home and find out that the developer’s site was down, so I’d have to go in and cut out the call home so it would load.

Thanked by 2yoursunny ariq01
  • donkodonko Member

i had a problem similar to this on one of my servers, all wordpress sites was taking ages to install plugins and most return timeout/curl error, problem was a huge packet loss (95%) beetween dedicated connection and wordpress.org

• How do you run such script? The post is a bit vague on details.

If you run it via ssh/cli - then check to which host you're connecting (with specific ports) and try to:

1. Curl to such service
    2. Telnet to such port.

Everything worked? Nice. Now try with a similar payload as a post/get/whatever http request you're using.

Have you tried to run such script in localhost? How does it perform?

If nothing works - then you should look for your firewall, the hosts firewall and another handful of things.