Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap VPS for Routing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap VPS for Routing

Hi guys,
I am looking for small as possible KVM/VMWare (or any NAT-capable) VPS for Wireguard VPN. NAT is required to make full routing to the virtual machine in my home network (the target
will be my secondary (backup) mail server which will by synced every hour).
So, my requiremets are:

Full Virtualization (not containers!
256MB RAM is OK, but 384 or more is preferred
1 shared vCore (loudy neighbours are welcome here ;) )
bandwidth min 5TB/month (sync through VPN), with at least 100Mbit guaranteed network speed
Easy control panel - as I will be learning about networking there, reinstalls may occur
1 IPv4, lack of IPv4 is acceptable, but in this case IPv6 /64 is required
Ports: 25, 80, 143, 443, 465, 587 and 993 must not be blocked!

My home server network speed is symmetrical 1Gbit, behind NAT and provider cannot provide static public IPv4, nor IPv6 (which I would be able to set up with AAAA records in Cloudflare)

Yearly payment will be highly appreciated, I dont require special discounts.

Preferred locations: central/eastern Europe (Poland/Germany/Czechia/Lithuania preferred).

I was wondering about Free Tier at GCP, but only US regions belong to free tier, so nope...

Any suggestions guys? :smile:

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

maybe oracle cloud free tier?

• tetechtetech Member

@bruh21 said:

@brejski said: Easy control panel

:open_mouth:

Thanked by 1rm_
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

Hi @brejski
    Our Poland KVM NAT VPS are exactly suitable for this kind of usage.
    Port speed 1GBPS, includes a /64 IPv6, all ports open.
    Create a ticket after order & we'll bump your bandwidth allowance to 5TB :)

Network Looking Glass - http://waw.lg.webhorizon.in

@tetech said:

@bruh21 said:

@brejski said: Easy control panel

:open_mouth:

nevermind that lol

• @bruh21 said:

I'm looking at it. Looks primising. I've already set up a free tier VM instance and wireguard, now I am dealing with security rules.

@WebHorizon said:
    Hi @brejski

Network speed is promising. Will consider it! Thanks!

@brejski said:

@bruh21 said:

I'm looking at it. Looks primising. I've already set up a free tier VM instance and wireguard, now I am dealing with security rules.

@WebHorizon said:
    Hi @brejski

Oracle cloud security rules are definitely not simple, but you'll figure it out. I can also vouch for @WebHorizon if you're going the paid route.

• @bruh21 said:

@brejski said:

@bruh21 said:

@WebHorizon said:
    Hi @brejski

Oracle cloud security rules are definitely not simple, but you'll figure it out. I can also vouch for @WebHorizon if you're going the paid route.

I've already managed how to set the firewall up - it's not that hard as I expected (I made many attempts to GCP Free Tier that failed). VM is a bit slow (very low I/O performance, random write about 5.5MB/s), but overall it's fine (as free VM of course).

@brejski said:

@bruh21 said:

@brejski said:

@bruh21 said:

@WebHorizon said:
    Hi @brejski

I've already managed how to set the firewall up - it's not that hard as I expected (I made many attempts to GCP Free Tier that failed). VM is a bit slow (very low I/O performance, random write about 5.5MB/s), but overall it's fine (as free VM of course).

definitely not the best, some of it is also based on the location. Also, try the ARM instances, they have much better performance and a faster network connection.

• @bruh21 said:

@brejski said:

@bruh21 said:

@brejski said:

@bruh21 said:

@WebHorizon said:
    Hi @brejski

definitely not the best, some of it is also based on the location. Also, try the ARM instances, they have much better performance and a faster network connection.

Im now checking the A1 Instances. These are very, very promising. I also have read about Always Free resources and these are unbelievable. 3000OCPU hours/month + 24GiB of memory and.. 18000GBhours per month? And.. 35Gigs storage...
    If this is truly free, then majority of cheap VPSes like in OVH/wheterever else will make no sense to exist :D

Source:
    Ampere A1 Compute instances (Arm processor): All tenancies get the first 3,000 OCPU hours and 18,000 GB hours per month for free for VM instances using the VM.Standard.A1.Flex shape, which has an Arm processor. For Always Free tenancies, this is equivalent to 4 OCPUs and 24 GB of memory. (https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm)

Hah. I will NEVER reach/use 3000OCPU hours, maybe will use... dunno 600-700? Maybe I will use this one as a mail server, not the one I have in home network...

• tetechtetech Member

@brejski said:

@bruh21 said:

@brejski said:

@bruh21 said:

@brejski said:

@bruh21 said:

@WebHorizon said:
    Hi @brejski

Im now checking the A1 Instances. These are very, very promising. I also have read about Always Free resources and these are unbelievable. 3000OCPU hours/month + 24GiB of memory and.. 18000GBhours per month? And.. 35Gigs storage...
    If this is truly free, then majority of cheap VPSes like in OVH/wheterever else will make no sense to exist :D

Source:
    Ampere A1 Compute instances (Arm processor): All tenancies get the first 3,000 OCPU hours and 18,000 GB hours per month for free for VM instances using the VM.Standard.A1.Flex shape, which has an Arm processor. For Always Free tenancies, this is equivalent to 4 OCPUs and 24 GB of memory. (https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm)

Hah. I will NEVER reach/use 3000OCPU hours, maybe will use... dunno 600-700? Maybe I will use this one as a mail server, not the one I have in home network...

You are misunderstanding. Hours means the hours it is provisioned in a month. If you are using 600 hours it means you will only allocate one core and even then you will deallocate the VPS for one week per month then create a new instance. Keeping a one-core ARM instance running for a month will use ~720 hours.

• HotmarerHotmarer Member
    edited June 2021

@brejski said: Im now checking the > A1 Instances. These are very, very promising. I also have read about Always Free resources and these are unbelievable. 3000OCPU hours/month + 24GiB of memory and.. 18000GBhours per month? And.. 35Gigs storage...
    If this is truly free, then majority of cheap VPSes like in OVH/wheterever else will make no sense to exist

Source:

Ampere A1 Compute instances are shut down when your trial ends. To continue using Always Free Arm-based compute instances, you must delete your existing Ampere A1 Compute instances and create new Ampere A1 Compute instances.

They also have rather blocked ports for sending emails, but I'm not entirely sure about that.