Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

let's argue: vpn edition
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

let's argue: vpn edition

SirFoxySirFoxy Member
edited June 2021 in General

a vpn that operates in the us, canada, australia, uk, etc and accepts credit/debit or paypal and requires any kind of personal information, such as email is fundamentally flawed and pointless.

monero, no personal information required, os running live etc should be essential otherwise it's pointless.

let's argue.

Thanked by 2DA_Mark MannDude

Comments

• Don't need that much privacy if I just wanted to bypass IP or geolocation restrictions.

• I do appreciate some good satire... Some people see VPN as "muhahahah, I'm fully anonymous!" and others are a bit more educated and realize that VPN service may have some use, but isn't a guarantee of anything.

It is getting pretty bad though. Some neighbors of mine (sweet, old retired couple) kept getting spammed that they needed a VPN for their "privacy, safety, security." I talked them out of it, explaining how it will most likely get them locked out of their online banking and other typical activities.

Like most things, best left to those who do their homework? :neutral:

Thanked by 2bulbasaur SirFoxy
  • JioJio Member

@CyberneticTitan said: Don't need that much privacy if I just wanted to bypass IP or geolocation restrictions.

This is kind of ..dependent. Using a VPN is illegal in numerous countries. Downloading/streaming content that you are geoblocked from in the US at least is more or less equivalent to a piracy/infringement criminal charge. Bypassing an IP block when you know you are explicitly not authorised to access content in the US is a felony under CFAA

Thanked by 2SirFoxy Maounique
  • @CyberneticTitan said: Don't need that much privacy if I just wanted to bypass IP or geolocation restrictions.

Yeah, and for some location-based testing (have I configured website X to correctly display Y for country Z).

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Have no need for VPN personally.

I don't watch TV. Don't do shady shit, either.

• Don't do shady shit, don't have the desire for overseas content

Run a tiny WireGuard VPN when using public WiFi/travelling but that's the extend.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @deank said:
    Have no need for VPN personally.

I don't watch TV. Don't do shady shit, either.

listen dad, some of us are hoodlums.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @DA_Mark said:
    I do appreciate some good satire... Some people see VPN as "muhahahah, I'm fully anonymous!" and others are a bit more educated and realize that VPN service may have some use, but isn't a guarantee of anything.

It is getting pretty bad though. Some neighbors of mine (sweet, old retired couple) kept getting spammed that they needed a VPN for their "privacy, safety, security." I talked them out of it, explaining how it will most likely get them locked out of their online banking and other typical activities.

Like most things, best left to those who do their homework? :neutral:

certainly, pointless most of the time.

anything remotely similar to nordvpn / ivacy offers nearly zero privacy.

though, they most definitely serve a purpose when done right.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited June 2021

@Jio said:

@CyberneticTitan said: Don't need that much privacy if I just wanted to bypass IP or geolocation restrictions.

This is kind of ..dependent. Using a VPN is illegal in numerous countries. Downloading/streaming content that you are geoblocked from in the US at least is more or less equivalent to a piracy/infringement criminal charge. Bypassing an IP block when you know you are explicitly not authorised to access content in the US is a felony under CFAA

facts.

you're from China, no?

if so, you understand the importance of privacy.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2021

@deank said: Don't do shady shit, either.

Those people do not need a VPN, they provide their own servers registered from random cracked/open wifi using stolen cards to cite one of the most "benign" form of such "anonymity".
    I think OP means the other kind.

• aliletalilet Member

These days I am using VPN for just these two things:

1. To bypass WhatsApp voice call as it is blocked in the country where I currently am
    2. To access BitPay wallet as it is not available in my country
    Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @Maounique said:

@deank said: Don't do shady shit, either.

Those people do not need a VPN, they provide their own servers registered from random cracked/open wifi using stolen cards to cite one of the most benign form of such "anonymity".

most physically swipe cvvs and flip them online.

@SirFoxy said: most physically swipe cvvs and flip them online.

The advantage being the location matches.

@Maounique said:
    Those people do not need a VPN, they provide their own servers registered from random cracked/open wifi using stolen cards to cite one of the most "benign" form of such "anonymity".

I know what those are. There are people who genuinely need VPN although I'd rather prefer working toward a revolt rather than evasions in such cases.

Those who genuinely need VPN wouldn't be here anyway.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
    edited June 2021

@deank said: Those who genuinely need VPN wouldn't be here anyway.

There can be good advice in here. I do not mean the kind of "choose x over y, they have more privacy in a ToS nobody read", but advice for the people which generally have no option to even purchase one of those.

• @Maounique said:

The advantage being the location matches.

rather than trying to buy 2 flat screens from bestbuy and selling them on facebook, it's a lot safer & easier to scale and clean the money when you can do it online.

Anyone who frequents here has no hope.

That includes myself.

@SirFoxy said: rather than trying to buy 2 flat screens from bestbuy and selling them on facebook, it's a lot safer & easier to scale and clean the money when you can do it online.

You are missing the point, I meant people which are doing "shady shit", like supercriminal, not petty theft, can provide their anonymity in other ways than using a VPN.

• @Maounique said:

@SirFoxy said: rather than trying to buy 2 flat screens from bestbuy and selling them on facebook, it's a lot safer & easier to scale and clean the money when you can do it online.

You are missing the point, I meant people which are doing "shady shit", like supercriminal, not petty theft, can provide their anonymity in other ways than using a VPN.

agreed. super criminals are off somewhere in a third world country paying off the law enforcement.

• @deank said:
    Anyone who frequents here has no hope.

That includes myself.

relatable

• JioJio Member

@SirFoxy said: you're from China, no?

wtf

america is the sole cause of magstripes still existing

@SirFoxy said: certainly, pointless most of the time.

just imagine

scene: america

situation: one of those shitty commercial "torrent" vpns gets popped, record companies get a db dump, suddenly the fact that you could pay without a domestic debit or credit card starts to mean something even though it's a completely meaningless situation outside of the fact that the rich don't like to get 1p stolen from them

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited June 2021

@Jio said:

@SirFoxy said: you're from China, no?

wtf

america is the sole cause of magstripes still existing

@SirFoxy said: certainly, pointless most of the time.

just imagine

scene: america

situation: one of those shitty commercial "torrent" vpns gets popped, record companies get a db dump, suddenly the fact that you could pay without a domestic debit or credit card starts to mean something even though it's a completely meaningless situation outside of the fact that the rich don't like to get 1p stolen from them

you can still clone EMV cards but anyways,

i was trying to relate to u but u got super aggressive, btw america is from canada to chile

• JioJio Member

bro i am offended nobody likes china just like nobody likes america

but with ivacy, one of the world's largest providers of security and virtual private networking software, you can be canadian with just one click to be able to sign up for the new canada-only raid shadow legends alpha and be eligible for the limited edition maple syrup raid boss

• @Jio said:
    bro i am offended nobody likes china just like nobody likes america

but with ivacy, one of the world's largest providers of security and virtual private networking software, you can be canadian with just one click to be able to sign up for the new canada-only raid shadow legends alpha and be eligible for the limited edition maple syrup raid boss

lmaooooo agreed, u real for that i forgive u love u.

• JioJio Member
    edited June 2021

serious for a bit though: technically "indian" but have no connection to the country at all and speak maybe 1% of the language - grew up in UK/US - hate the indian culture of getting ahead being the only thing important, cheating in everything, etc

i've been to india about four times, and it's this hell of half the internet being censored, any sim card you buy sends you actual spam (from the carrier, unblockable, periodically showed up as spam inside national emergency alerts)

i've been to pakistan, can't even ssh, had to bother mates at work to respond to downtime alerts because ssh is either throttled to extremes or banned completely via DPI

vpns have a nice place, depending on threat model, but trying to buy one with a traceable payment method while you're in a country that explicitly forbids it would suck.

ps it would be exceptionally nice if isps would stop fucking injecting ads into any non-tls page, and providing fake MITM certificates for any tls page.

my thoughts are pretty much:

• requiring an email: difficult to sign up for any email account anonymously, especially requiring SMS to continue, even protonmail demands payment or SMS confirm non-voip if you sign up from a VPN or other rubbish reputation ip
    • requiring a phone: most countries require ID for even prepaid
    • us: zero privacy laws or regulation for outsiders
    • au: we respect the laws of australia, not the laws of mathematics
    • uk/eu: VAT laws, storing your address and name for almost a decade mandatory, etc
    • eu: if you can't provide proof of non-eu you're more or less forced to pay vat
    • traceable payment methods: this will fuck you over whether or not
      • you want to torrent (US: leaked db -> you fined $10k per song)
      • bypass IPs (US: craigslist v. 3taps ip ban felony)
      • unblock censored content (PK/CN/KR/etc: illegal)
      • unblock geoblocked content (US: basically same as just pirating it, still illegal download)
    Thanked by 1default
  • @Jio said:
    serious for a bit though: technically "indian" but have no connection to the country at all and speak maybe 1% of the language - grew up in UK/US - hate the indian culture of getting ahead being the only thing important, cheating in everything, etc

i've been to india about four times, and it's this hell of half the internet being censored, any sim card you buy sends you actual spam (from the carrier, unblockable, periodically showed up as spam inside national emergency alerts)

i've been to pakistan, can't even ssh, had to bother mates at work to respond to downtime alerts because ssh is either throttled to extremes or banned completely via DPI

vpns have a nice place, depending on threat model, but trying to buy one with a traceable payment method while you're in a country that explicitly forbids it would suck.

ps it would be exceptionally nice if isps would stop fucking injecting ads into any non-tls page, and providing fake MITM certificates for any tls page.

gotcha, i apologize about mixing up your country it's India not China.

learned about the Indian firewall recently, my girlfriend is first generation here from Bengaluru, I was supposed to go visit her families estate recently but it got canceled due to covid. shit's fucked, apparently her family still has literal servants.

• JioJio Member

i think i'd have more of a connection with bradford than any part of india, haha.

@SirFoxy said: apparently her family still has literal servants

yeah this is a thing and i hate it

• @Jio said:
    i think i'd have more of a connection with bradford than any part of india, haha.

@SirFoxy said: apparently her family still has literal servants

yeah this is a thing and i hate it

uk lad, i feel you.

• defaultdefault Veteran

edited June 2021

Buy cheap ass VPS with bitcoin (Monero if you are really paranoid and think your police state will bother to track it), RDP to it, X2Go, TV etc if ssh and other tunnels are forbidden, throttled or blocked by DPI. Even so, you can probably use nonstandard ports or standard ones but with another protocol bind, 80, 443, 465, you get the idea.
    You can also use UDP tunnels.