Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WesternUnion question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WesternUnion question

A designer wants to send some money from india to me in usa. Kinda a partial refund of what I paid him via transferwise.com.

He is willing to send it via WesternUnion. Bank / wire transfer is not possible for him.

I have never dealt with receiving payments via WesternUnion.

Anything I need to worry while receiving my money?

Thanks!

Comments

• JioJio Member
    edited June 2021

it's irreversible once you pick it up at your local branch in cash. as long as it's legitmiate and he doesn't send you phishing invoice or fake transaction number, it's fine

Thanked by 2webcraft plumberg
  • fazarfazar Member

I never have problem with Western Union. Simply go to local branch, show them your ID card, and tell them the MTCN. fresh cash, yay! 😄

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

If ya need to pay him first ITS A SCAM!!!!

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • defaultdefault Veteran

I heard on the news once that some people helped a Nigerian prince by giving money through Western Union, and they had no problem whatsoever with the transaction itself. They did have some problems with the prince, but that is another discussion.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2021

@default said:
    I heard on the news once that some people helped a Nigerian prince by giving money through Western Union, and they had no problem whatsoever with the transaction itself. They did have some problems with the prince, but that is another discussion.

• @fazar said:
    I never have problem with Western Union. Simply go to local branch, show them your ID card, and tell them the MTCN. fresh cash, yay! 😄

Do I need to register an account at WesternUnion? Or the sender simply needs to put in my name and start the transfer and I pickup cash using the MTCN? Thanks

• If he can get paid via TransferWise - he has a bank account.
    If thats the case - he can pay you via that account.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @NobodyInteresting said:
    If he can get paid via TransferWise - he has a bank account.

I know. I think the fees the bank may be charging would be exorbitant and hence he is ok to work with WU

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @plumberg said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    If he can get paid via TransferWise - he has a bank account.

I know. I think the fees the bank may be charging would be exorbitant and hence he is ok to work with WU

Yeah thats true, specially if your account is in USD, and he has to pay for the conversion from ruppees (or whatever their pesos are called) to USD.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • I've recently used Western Union. One transfer was to the USA (I'm in New Zealand) and it went through just fine, direct to their bank account. The other was to the Philippines, to cash, and I got their name misspelt and the WU agent wouldn't hand over the cash. I had to call up WU and get the receiver's name changed on the transaction.

For a small transaction (USD100) WU fees are way lower than the bank fees here.

• fazarfazar Member

@plumberg said:
    Do I need to register an account at WesternUnion? Or the sender simply needs to put in my name and start the transfer and I pickup cash using the MTCN? Thanks

no need to register. as far as I know it only needs sender name, your valid ID, and MTCN.

google send me adsense payments via western union for years, before I switch payment to bank transfer.