Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft can't figure out how to accept reports of facepalm worthy failure - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft can't figure out how to accept reports of facepalm worthy failure

2»

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I hope all this goes well for you.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited June 2021

At my workplace we use Office 365 with a fairly large number of users, and use their email product... I could check if we have a direct contact at Microsoft if you'd like?

@jsg said: Why do you even care, let alone make that effort? Simply block emails coming from them.

Microsoft are a very large email provider - I'd guess they're the second largest behind Gmail / G Suite. Larger than Yahoo these days - Yahoo's userbase is decreasing over time, while Microsoft's is increasing, due to popularity of their Office 365 suite (eg https://office365itpros.com/2019/10/24/office-365-hits-200-million-monthly-active-users/). A lot of companies moving from on-prem Exchange to Office 365 and Azure Active Directory, so they don't have to maintain Exchange and AD servers themselves. They're definitely much larger than FastMail, ProtonMail, etc.

If an email provider blocks all emails coming from the second largest email provider, they're going to get a LOT of complaints.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

So, what you are all telling me is that no matter how idiotic and ignorant MS behaves one just has to accept it because, uhm, well they are a giant and because millions of people still didn't get it and continue to use MS crap, but one doesn't want to lose them, so, oh well, one just has to bend over for MS.

[self censored]

Thanked by 2jar Maounique
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jsg said:
    So, what you are all telling me is that no matter how idiotic and ignorant MS behaves one just has to accept it because, uhm, well they are a giant and because millions of people still didn't get it and continue to use MS crap, but one doesn't want to lose them, so, oh well, one just has to bend over for MS.

[self censored]

If Google and Microsoft decided tomorrow that they didn’t like me, I’d be living in a van down by the river. (More realistically I’d explore legal options but you get me lol)

@jar said:

@jsg said:

[self censored]

If Google and Microsoft decided tomorrow that they didn’t like me, I’d be living in a van down by the river. (More realistically I’d explore legal options but you get me lol)

Oh, I got that and I'm in no way suggesting (let alone demanding) that you fight them.

Thanked by 1jar
  • KassemKassem Member

@jsg said:

[self censored]

For a lot of serious (there are cheap business owners that actually skimp and use things like web mail on shared hosting) businesses it's a choice between getting Google Workspace or Office 365. Also MS of today isn't the old MS, it is trying to be better (MS SQL server running on Linux? Github not annihilated like some thought it would? vscode? .NET Core?). Sure they might have dropped the ball on this particular issue of not setting rDNS but it is one thing in a huge company.

When you are so big you can get away with things like this, maybe other providers added exceptions for these MS IPs so they are whitelisted?

Thanked by 1jar
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Daniel15 said:
    Microsoft are a very large email provider - I'd guess they're the second largest behind Gmail / G Suite.

Hmm, I thought MXroute is the largest email provider.
    Look at Microsoft - they don't even have a provider tag!

edited June 2021

@Kassem said:

@jsg said:

[self censored]

For a lot of serious (there are cheap business owners that actually skimp and use things like web mail on shared hosting) businesses it's a choice between getting Google Workspace or Office 365. Also MS of today isn't the old MS, it is trying to be better (MS SQL server running on Linux? Github not annihilated like some thought it would? vscode? .NET Core?). Sure they might have dropped the ball on this particular issue of not setting rDNS but it is one thing in a huge company.

When you are so big you can get away with things like this, maybe other providers added exceptions for these MS IPs so they are whitelisted?

That and the constant outages. I only like to comment on it because I’ve constantly been told that I can’t possibly offer similar reliability, and that customers serious about uptime can’t use my service. If people didn’t say things like that I’d be just as forgiving of their significantly numerous mistakes as their customers are (going as far as to pretend they don’t happen). But it does benefit me to draw some attention to their mistakes.

It’s been a big year for them: https://downdetector.com/status/office-365/archive/2021/05/

Of course all systems are subject to human error, acts of god, and imperfections of hardware. I merely find value in making sure others are presented with the opportunity to see that size of employee base, revenue, complexity of stack, and profit margins do not exempt anyone from it.

The only thing I’d propose to do better than they do is to catch and prevent outbound spam and compromised accounts using processes that can scale to seemingly infinite numbers with minimal overhead.

Thanked by 1catatonic

@jar

As you are so surprisingly kind with MS, I'll bring up something that just crossed my mind:

MS and @cociu commit the same arch sin. Both do not communicate.
    Yes, I know, MS seems to communicate, their lips move and letters and words are typed, but that's just like a broken music box with an extremely limited selection of very worn out songs. You push some button by asking a question or hinting at a problem, and there is a canned response.

The difference between cociu and MS is just that MS are huge enough to get away with it although actually they have much less respect for their customers than cociu.

Thanked by 1jar
  • KassemKassem Member

Absolutely, being big doesn't mean you don't screw up from time to time. Screw ups are normal, some screw ups end up reaching the public while probably a lot more screw ups are caught before having some disastrous effects. GCP having some screw up in progress while I write this. Fastly screwed up earlier with untested code. It's how companies deal with these screw ups that matters, learn from mistake, change SOPs etc.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:
    @jar

As you are so surprisingly kind with MS, I'll bring up something that just crossed my mind:

MS and @cociu commit the same arch sin. Both do not communicate.
    Yes, I know, MS seems to communicate, their lips move and letters and words are typed, but that's just like a broken music box with an extremely limited selection of very worn out songs. You push some button by asking a question or hinting at a problem, and there is a canned response.

The difference between cociu and MS is just that MS are huge enough to get away with it although actually they have much less respect for their customers than cociu.

To be fair to Microsoft I've had interactions with some of their developers on the adaptivecards and office-js projects and they were great.

I did get the canned messages from Microsoft's sender support team though.

edited June 2021

@jsg said: do not communicate

On some level I get it. Same with Google. They offer free services to a huge number of customers and while those are monetized in other ways, if they just let anyone and everyone call them up they'd need a fleet of call centers and ultimately to close down the free services. You can offer free services to people, but you have to intentionally make it hard for them to get ahold of you. That comes with the side effect of making it hard for people like me to reach you.

I like how Google changed their tactic and put easily accessible support behind Google One.

But I've also been at the large company where low level support were told to treat the higher up techs like royalty and don't you dare even look at them. My first action was to reach out to the lower level techs and let them know that they had a standing escalation path with me, my sanity be damned. A good company should allow internal communication. Even if it hurts, even if it's frustrating.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jar said: That and the constant outages. I only like to comment on it because I’ve constantly been told that I can’t possibly offer similar reliability, and that customers serious about uptime can’t use my service.

Fun fact: We've migrated from on-premise Exchange to Office 365 Azure Cloud yada yada in 2020. Since then we've had more disruptions than ever, however management's no longer blaming it on the IT or us admins. In fact, they're blaming it on no one: "Oh, Microsoft's having an issue. Never mind then, they'll have it fixed soon. They know what they're doing."

@brueggus said: In fact, they're blaming it on no one

That's really funny and exactly how I'm seeing it too. There's a mountain in the way of this mental process that assumes if you're doing business with someone large enough, you just have to accept the problems.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It is not only this year. Since 2015 when i have started to check, IWStack had roughly half the downtime azure had, but AWS is slightly better than us.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Maounique said:

@TimboJones said: You just posted an above conversation saying they wanted proof of payment.

For the last invoice. That is specified in the papers required list. The last invoice was not even issued at the time of the payment and it clearly shows a negative amount "to be paid".
    By that logic I could show any bank transfer made previously even when I had an outstanding invoice, that would have not been a proof of payment for that invoice, right?

P.S. Are you sure you do not work for Vodafone?

All you had to do was show proof of payment that you made that made it negative. You can either do it and move on with the service or declare it too much hassle like you did. This isn't complicated nor do you need to be dishonest. No point whining on and on about it.

This is clearly a move to filter out shitty customers and let them go to competition. You even let them keep some money! Genius.

• @jar said:

@jsg said:

[self censored]

There should be a "if (something), I'd be living in a van, down by the river!" Matt Foley meme generator.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited June 2021

@TimboJones said: This is clearly a move to filter out shitty customers and let them go to competition. You even let them keep some money! Genius.

1. The money in the account was with the OLD provider. Obviously.
    2. If a customer which pays in advance for many months is shitty, fine, you have the right to your opinion. I happen to disagree.
    3. I didn't leave any money to the old provider, I bought prepaid cards to have an alternative for internet when I am away and my new provider might not have signal in the area. I still have a couple. They only start the timer after I activate them.

@TimboJones said: All you had to do was show proof of payment that you made that made it negative.

Well, you clearly are a conservative. No matter what you go on. I have already told you that:
    1. The payment must be for the last invoice. I cannot show a payment from 5 months ago as valid, it could have been for any invoice in the past and cannot specify the invoice number also as the invoice I had (last one) was not issued at that time;
    2. They agreed I need to show them the negative payment.

• Tech support in a nutshell

• @jar do you want an honest suggestion? Promise me that you'll do?

Send an email to their abuse/secure email address I'm sure they'll react :lol:

Comment: For SPAM and other abuse issues, such as Microsoft Accounts, please contact:
    Comment: * [email protected].
    Comment:
    Comment: To report security vulnerabilities in Microsoft products and services, please contact:
    Comment:
    Comment: For legal and law enforcement-related requests, please contact:
    Comment: * [email protected]
    Comment:
    Comment: For routing, peering or DNS issues, please
    Comment: contact:
    Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/MSFT

Thanked by 2jar TimboJones

@alexvolk said:
    @jar do you want an honest suggestion? Promise me that you'll do?

Send an email to their abuse/secure email address I'm sure they'll react :lol:

Comment: For SPAM and other abuse issues, such as Microsoft Accounts, please contact:
    Comment:
    Comment: To report security vulnerabilities in Microsoft products and services, please contact:
    Comment:
    Comment: For legal and law enforcement-related requests, please contact:
    Comment:
    Comment: For routing, peering or DNS issues, please
    Comment: contact:
    Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/MSFT

But then what do I do with all of this red bull? You and me, everclear, suit up and meet me at the bar.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited June 2021

@jar said:
    But then what do I do with all of this red bull? You and me, everclear, suit up and meet me at the bar.

Why not!? Not sure if all of this red bull would be enough because of the conspiracies and theories I have in mind like a SPAM in my brain cells lol. :sweat_smile:

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jsg said: So, what you are all telling me is that no matter how idiotic and ignorant MS behaves one just has to accept it because, uhm, well they are a giant

No... I was just saying that they're a very large provider, so another email provider blocking them is not ideal.

• @Maounique said:
    Well, you clearly are a conservative.

Clearly? Wtf are you getting on with? I don't think you know what conservative even fucking means. Making strange stereotype comments like that reflects more about your character than anyone else's.

This is off topic and won't repeat everything I previously stated. Beating a dead horse.

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited June 2021

@Maounique said: If a customer which pays in advance for many months is shitty, fine, you have the right to your opinion. I happen to disagree.
    I didn't leave any money to the old provider, I bought prepaid cards to have an alternative for internet when I am away and my new provider might not have signal in the area. I still have a couple. They only start the timer after I activate them.
    I went to a different mobile phone company after the previous one literally stole my money. It is another story, but funny too.

Says the person who hides behind John Doe, later just silently shutting down servers while letting account balance just go?

IWStack is shit and I won't call it ever "cloud", absolutely trash service on the same level as @Incero previous owner Gordon.

Better shut up and take a look at what you're doing yourself, writing a long post, trying to be right but instead, you're not better at doing business, maybe that's the reason why nobody gives a fuck about iwtrash.

edited June 2021

@alexvolk said: Says the person who hides behind John Doe, later just silently shutting down servers while letting account balance just go?

A ticket number?
    A shutdown server only charges for the IP and the disk space. The credit does not expire so you can just start it back up. We are not shutting them down without permission, but there can be OS crashes from which HA cannot recover.

Agreed about Gordon. We had to simply pull out even as we still had leased time left on the servers.

@alexvolk said: maybe that's the reason why nobody gives a fuck about iwtrash.

Here maybe not, the usage scenarios are a bit different from what people are usually looking for in here, I do not need a provider tag nor am I advertising it here unless someone specifically asks for something that cannot easily be done otherwise That is only a suggestion, though. See LB which is included in the main product, therefore sparing some efforts to aggregate traffic from multiple VMs or even providers, using proxies, domains, DNS and such.

@TimboJones said: This is off topic

You are right, tag me in Cest pit if you need more details.

Yikes

• @Maounique said: A ticket number?

Why do you need a ticket number to take a look at what have you done?

@Maounique said: A shutdown server only charges for the IP and the disk space

It was turned off by you and credit just burned out so iwtrash & prometeus can't be used for something serious.

Anytime servers might be just shut down similar to what Gordon was doing at Incero.

Next time instead of trash-talking to someone take a look at yourself and what you're doing exactly the opposite of what you're writing.

@jar said:
    Yikes

At least you're doing what you're writing also not hiding behind John Doe is a plus.

@alexvolk said:
    IWStack is shit and I won't call it ever "cloud", absolutely trash service on the same level as @Incero previous owner Gordon.

Better shut up and take a look at what you're doing yourself, writing a long post, trying to be right but instead, you're not better at doing business, maybe that's the reason why nobody gives a fuck about iwtrash.

Oh, I see, that's why Prometeus was in the top 3 providers of the year here (albeit some years ago).

edited June 2021

@alexvolk said: Why do you need a ticket number to take a look at what have you done?

As noted before:
    1. You can turn it back on as long as the account is not suspended for negative credit.
    2. We do not turn anything off but, after suspension or due to OS crash which can't be recovered by HA or if HA is turned off, it can remain turned off. You can always turn it back on and use the console to see the boot process.
    3. The credit does not expire but the resources in use, storage and the reserved IP are still billed even if the VM is off. Once again, you can always turn it back on if it crashed.
    4. A ticket number would be needed so I would know what was the specific problem. Without it I can only give some general info.
    5. You should open a new thread for Prometeus bashing and i can answer there in detail. I know this is LET but jar had some hopes about this thread.