Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on Contabo CPU usage limitations - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question on Contabo CPU usage limitations

2»

Comments

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

@AleksaDjordjic said:

@DamoHG said:
    When I tried out their Windows VPS last year I did run a benchmark test using 100% CPU/RAM for over a week and noticed within the first 24 hours they did limit the CPU reducing it's overall performance by 50%.

Another thing I noticed about their RAM was they had no ballooning driver installed which is required for Proxmox (they advertise they use proxmox???)

Interesting, do you maybe know in details how it was limited. Did the benchmark just see a dip in performance after 24 hours, and was it sustained, are you sure it might not be something like this where the node was just filled up too much and hypervisor steal was just too high: https://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/trials/834/endurance_runs

About memory, can you link me to where they advertise using Proxmox, never heard that before.

@DamoHG said:
    When I tried out their Windows VPS last year I did run a benchmark test using 100% CPU/RAM for over a week and noticed within the first 24 hours they did limit the CPU reducing it's overall performance by 50%.

Another thing I noticed about their RAM was they had no ballooning driver installed which is required for Proxmox (they advertise they use proxmox???)

They use Proxmox. If you reboot your VPS and look via VNC, the Proxmox boot logo shows up.

• @cybertech said:

@Kvidden said:
    Got 2 VPSes in Germany. One of them have been active for over a year, the other one is new. The SSD one, the older, seem to be around 3-10% steal and the NVME one less a few %. With the NVME going up to 30% when under heavy load while SSD more or less stays the same.
    But for that price I dont find it to bad to be honest, but thats my 2 cent.
    The only problem I have had is at the 19th when the SSD server started to go bananas, sadly I didnt check the steal etc but opened a ticket. 4 days later I was moved to another system that have been ok soo far.
    But I also noticed that I was moved from EPYC 7282 to E5-2630 v4 though I havent had any issues with such a move yet.

Im very interested in other options, in case any of the servers take the turn for the worst again.
    Price below 8-10Euro

im not so sure moving from time to time is the best arrangement for production.

I have them for fun, school projects and such so a move, if needed, wouldn't be an issue.
    Was mostly interested in peoples opinion since more then a few find Contango not that appealing. So options are never bad :)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@cybertech said:

@Kvidden said:
    Got 2 VPSes in Germany. One of them have been active for over a year, the other one is new. The SSD one, the older, seem to be around 3-10% steal and the NVME one less a few %. With the NVME going up to 30% when under heavy load while SSD more or less stays the same.
    The only problem I have had is at the 19th when the SSD server started to go bananas, sadly I didnt check the steal etc but opened a ticket. 4 days later I was moved to another system that have been ok soo far.
    But I also noticed that I was moved from EPYC 7282 to E5-2630 v4 though I havent had any issues with such a move yet.

Im very interested in other options, in case any of the servers take the turn for the worst again.
    Price below 8-10Euro

... and certainly not when major parameters (like the CPU) change.

Also: Did they inform you about the node type/CPU change and asked you beforehand -or- did they just do it and, oopsie, you found out that you had another processor?

• @jsg said:

@cybertech said:

@Kvidden said:

Price below 8-10Euro

... and certainly not when major parameters (like the CPU) change.

Also: Did they inform you about the node type/CPU change and asked you beforehand -or- did they just do it and, oopsie, you found out that you had another processor?

Was a live migration so I didn't notice until some time after and surprise surprise new CPU :smile: well very old CPU hehe.
    They said they would move me "in order to try to reduce the system utilization."
    Not sure if it say anywhere that it's suppose to be AMD CPU, and benchmarks come out more or less the same.

• gaus3572gaus3572 Member
    edited February 2022

@gaus3572 said: My opinion - Contabo has some kind of backdoor in their OS images and they use it if they really have to.

Sorry, I was wrong. My app/script were crashing due to segmentation fault, which I managed to miss.
    In addition to that, they have somewhere from a few dozen to a few hundred virtual servers on each physical server, it is not worth the effort to manually monitor/intervene each time some virtual server uses too much CPU.