Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosthatch Sydney: IPv6 "broken" for two weeks and counting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosthatch Sydney: IPv6 "broken" for two weeks and counting

brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

About two weeks ago Hosthatch announced they were investigating networking issues in Sydney. Since then their IPv6 acts somewhat strange in that location: I can reach my server fine from some locations, but in most cases it seems like their subnet is not announced at all.

Example from Hetzner's network:

1. AS24940 2a01:4f8:211:1443::2      0.0%    10    0.4   0.5   0.3   0.6   0.0
  2. AS24940 core23.fsn1.hetzner.com  30.0%    10    6.4  14.7   6.4  28.9   7.6
  3. AS24940 2a01:4f8:0:3::c5          0.0%    10   39.3  13.4   3.2  39.3  11.3
  4. AS24940 2a01:4f8:0:3::2a9         0.0%    10    3.5   6.9   3.4  24.9   7.5
  5. AS???   ???                      100.0    10    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0

And in some cases it even looks like this:

1. AS6939  2604:a100:100:2::1            0.0%    10    0.2   0.9   0.2   6.9   2.0
  2. AS6939  2604:a100:100::1              0.0%    10    0.6   0.8   0.5   1.1   0.0
  3. AS6939  ve1325.core2.fmt2.he.net      0.0%    10    0.5   0.6   0.5   0.7   0.0
  4. AS6939  100ge4-1.core4.fmt2.he.net    0.0%    10    0.6   2.7   0.6  21.0   6.4
  5. AS6939  100ge10-1.core1.sjc1.he.net   0.0%    10    1.2   1.0   0.8   1.2   0.0
  6. AS6939  e0-36.core2.sjc1.he.net       0.0%    10    1.5   2.3   1.5   7.0   1.5
  7. AS6939  e0-36.core2.syd1.he.net       0.0%    10  160.8 165.9 160.4 185.2   7.5
  8. AS???   64067.syd.equinix.com         0.0%    10  155.8 155.9 155.8 156.2   0.0
  9. AS???   2400:b640:0:3::1             10.0%    10  160.9 156.8 156.0 160.9   1.5
 10. AS???   ???                          100.0    10    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0

RIPE reports 63% visibility for their subnet.

Now I'm wondering what might be going on here. Why do some networks pick up routes for their subnet and others don't? Just a misconfiguration? Bad BGP communities? What do you think?

And yes, I've opened a ticket with them and they're working on the issue. But I'm still curious what might be the cause.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I had talked about exactly this, IPv6 routing issues, which took weeks to get fixed.
    Open a ticket you likely get it solved in a few weeks.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

I've had lots of IPv6 issues with my storage vps in Stockholm as well

Thanked by 1Milon
  • Good luck waiting for a fix guys..

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

That's interesting that multiple people in totally different datacenters seem to have such issues. When I tried HostHatch more than a year ago, in my case it was in London, they also had some weird IPv6 routing and IIRC no connectivity to DTAG. It took some weeks until they were able to fixed it, but it left some aftertaste and I decided not to renew.

Maybe some transit or datacenter providers are enforcing ROA now.
    Or the return path is broken. The way back might be totally different and some IP space starting at the ??? might be filtered there.
    Many possibilities. If I remember my experience in London correctly, there was something messed up with M247 which HostHatch seems to use in multiple locations.

• mcgreemcgree Member

I wanted to broadcast my IPv6 in Hosthatch and no one replied to my work order for over a month, just asked me to send an email to their admin email address, then I wondered if the network segment I asked to broadcast was too big, so I closed the work order again and reopened it, affirming a paragraph/48, but still no reply, but the problem was solved quickly outside of BGP.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@brueggus said:
    And yes, I've opened a ticket with them and they're working on the issue. But I'm still curious what might be the cause.

This is an upstream issue that we're working hard to get fully resolved asap.

In some locations, we're replacing our network kits (and upgrading all nodes with 40g) and BGP announcements are on hold until we get that done.

• mcgreemcgree Member

@hosthatch said:

@brueggus said:

In some locations, we're replacing our network kits (and upgrading all nodes with 40g) and BGP announcements are on hold until we get that done.

Do you have a rough timeline?

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited June 2021

@hosthatch said: This is an upstream issue that we're working hard to get fully resolved asap.

You guys do need to work on your communication. Support rarely provides updates, even when I want to offer more money like trying to migrate to a two year plan instead of one.

It's a shame because the VPS otherwise has great performance and I have a product in mind for which I'd like to use more of your VPSes (at their regular pricing, FWIW), but I can't because I'm scared about issues like these.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited June 2021

@hosthatch said:

@brueggus said:

It's been another week without any response to my ticket. The issue is not resolved still and in total it's about a month of downtime now:

I used to be a big fan of Hosthatch and so far I have had really good experiences with their support. And the servers I have with them are running just fine.

However, the fact that they're unable to fix (or work with their upstream to fix) an issue most likely affecting a whole location does not create any trust at all.

Still no replies to my ticket but the issue seems to have been resolved today.

Took them only 6 weeks... :/

• IPv6 is ghetto IPv4 - @yoursunny are you triggered? :-)

• MilonMilon Member

@v3ng said:
    I've had lots of IPv6 issues with my storage vps in Stockholm as well

The same, constantly. duckduckgo.com don't load, lol :-) and other sites

• @brueggus said: issue seems to have been resolved today

I noticed this too last week but haven't been monitoring it since then to comment if it's stable or not.

@flawsome said:

@brueggus said: issue seems to have been resolved today

I noticed this too last week but haven't been monitoring it since then to comment if it's stable or not.

Well, it's not. Their prefix disappeared from the DFZ again :(

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2021

Mine was working fine, but it just broke today. My uptime monitoring shows around 4 hours of downtme for both IPv4 and IPv6 from 1:15 AM until 5:17 AM Pacific Time (UTC-7), after which IPv4 connectivity was restored but IPv6 remained down, and it's still down now (10:24 PM Pacific)

• Aquatis_JosephAquatis_Joseph Member, Patron Provider

Mine been working fine but just broke yesterday. I had to open a ticket and its still being looked at...

• add_iTadd_iT Member

@hosthatch Pls fix it

• Shot2Shot2 Member

Time to leave the ship...

We’re working on getting it resolved with our upstreams in Sydney. If you have an open ticket, we’ll update you there once we make progress.

• add_iTadd_iT Member

@hosthatch said:
    We’re working on getting it resolved with our upstreams in Sydney. If you have an open ticket, we’ll update you there once we make progress.

Are your SG location ready?

edited July 2021

@hosthatch said:

Do you have any SLA for network outages like this one? Not interested in compensation or anything like that (your sale services are already very very cheap), just wondering if you have a minimum expected level of network uptime. 😊

I guess this is an upstream outage so probably wouldn't fall under an SLA anyways?

• klikliklikli Member

I have an issue with my IPv6 in HostHatch HKG, I have a ticket open for more than a month, no response, made me a little bit sad :(

Anyway, here's the issue. If anyone has an idea if it's a configuration issue on my end, or if it's an issue with HostHatch please chime in!

The issue is that, there is heavy packet loss observed in traceroute. But it's not like classic packet loss that a percentage of packets get dropped. Instead, the traceroute looks good in the beginning, then ~20 seconds in, the packets stopped being forwarded.

Video: https://imgur.com/PVWBojO

@stevewatson301 said: Support rarely provides updates, even when I want to offer more money like trying to migrate to a two year plan instead of one.

Sorry, I missed this before. I am assuming you asked for an upgrade with free disk space, which is why it would be on pause. There should be no delays at all if you want to simply change from one to two-year billing without any changes to the server.

@Daniel15 said:

@hosthatch said:

Do you have any SLA for network outages like this one? Not interested in compensation or anything like that (your sale services are already very very cheap), just wondering if you have a minimum expected level of network uptime. 😊

I guess this is an upstream outage so probably wouldn't fall under an SLA anyways?

We have a status page at https://status.hosthatch.com/

We generally aim for 99.9% uptime - and beat that year after year, but Sydney has been a problem in the past couple of months.

We will likely stop providing native IPv6 there for now (and in some other problem locations). Most upstreams do not deal with IPv6 issues with the same priority, and the time investment that goes into troubleshooting IPv6-related issues in these locations for a -very- small number of customers who actually use it is huge.

• Received via email:

Hello!

You are receiving this email because you currently have an active IPv6 /64 range with us in Sydney.

We are sorry to inform you that we will be withdrawing active support for IPv6 in Sydney for the time being, as we go forward.

At the moment, less than 3% of our active VMs in Sydney have IPv6 assigned, and even a smaller number of users who actively use it.

In the last two months, we've dealt with several network-related issues with our network provider (and their upstreams) in Sydney, and with problems ranging from complete IPv6 outages to 50-60% global BGP visibility, we have decided that it is best if we do not continue to continue to provide a half-broken IPv6 service.

Your IPv6 range will remain there, however, please note that it will likely continue to have issues for the near future and we recommend that you remove it completely. We recommend using a tunnel service (such as https://tunnelbroker.net/) for more reliable IPv6 connectivity. If you would like for us to completely remove IPv6 from your VMs, please let us know.

Any newly created VMs in Sydney will not have native IPv6 support. This policy will likely remain until the end of this year, once we can make sure we can provide reliable IPv6 connectivity in this location.

In case you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We do apologize for the inconvenience this change will cause you.

Kindest Regards,
    Your HostHatch team

@hosthatch which network provider are you using in Sydney? I've got a few VPSes in Sydney with various providers and IPv6 works fine with all of them, so I wonder if you just got unlucky with your choice of provider :(

An upstream provider with flaky IPv6 in 2021 is definitely a bad sign.

• @hosthatch said:
    We will likely stop providing native IPv6 there for now (and in some other problem locations).

Which are those "others"?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

No IPv6 hall of shame

• GitHub
    • Docker Hub
    • Google Cloud
    • Outlook
    • SparkPost
    • ColonCrossing - VirMach, RackNerd
    • XetHost
    • SoftShellWeb (San Jose only)
    • HostSolutions involucrated
    • IOFlood - 1TBVPS
    • KhanWebHost
    • Wishosting
    • Reprise Hosting
    • Limitless Hosting
    • HostWebis
    • Nexus Bytes (shared hosting only)
    • Oplink
    • Leapswitch Networks (except Mumbai)
    • FTPiT (Fremont and New York only)
    • DedicatServer ro
    • IncogNET
    • HostTiger HostTigger
    • ForwardWeb
    • SKB Enterprise
    • HostHatch (Sydney etc)

Include IPv6 for no extra cost on every plan to get delisted.

If you want premium Sydney VPS with routed IPv6, try 👉 Webhosting24 Sydney NVMe VPS 👈.
    They resolve IPv6 problems within hours instead of months, and it's routed IPv6 so that you don't need the NDP responder madness; quality comes with a price.
    Notice: paid link above, non-aff.

• Disappointing, I must be in the less than 3% of services that use it.

I also noticed after their 4 hour outage last week that the latency from my US services have jumped from ~140ms to 210ms. I use a number of other providers in Sydney and they all sit around ~140ms from LA.

FYI, email went to gmail spam folder.

@digitalwicked said:

I also noticed after their 4 hour outage last week that the latency from my US services have jumped from ~140ms to 210ms. I use a number of other providers in Sydney and they all sit around ~140ms from LA.

Please ticket that in with a traceroute, we will get it fixed.

As for the guy plugging in his affiliate link….nice.

edited July 2021

@digitalwicked said: I use a number of other providers in Sydney and they all sit around ~140ms from LA.

Wow, yeah, good catch. I just noticed the same thing too. Ping to my Sydney Hosthatch VPS is really high now - 270ms from around the San Francisco area, whereas I get 160ms to my VPS hosted with QuantumCore (who use RansomIT AS136557 as their network provider, who use ColoAU AS63956 as their upstream).

It looks like it transits from Telia (AS1299) in the US to Level3 (AS3356) in Sydney and that link has high latency.

vs the routing with QuantumCore: