Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bare VPS or Bare VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bare VPS or Bare VM

I see some providers are using terms Bare VM or Bare VPS on their sites to reffer to a virtual server without any software installed on it, so you get just root access and do what you want.

Choose an option
  1. Which term do you like?26 votes
    1. Bare VM
      46.15%
    2. Bare VPS
      53.85%

Comments

• vanilla vm

Thanked by 1shyaminayesh
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

By software, you mean the default OS being reloaded at the time of VPS provisioning?

• henixhenix Member

Both

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

Neither, the default should be the OS's minimal configuration. Why make a new term

Thanked by 2yoursunny TimboJones
  • Huh I thought "VPS" was the default and you just buy software add-ons or have the provider install everything for you in a "Managed VPS".

• edited June 2021

@amadex1337 said:
    I see some providers are using terms Bare VM or Bare VPS on their sites to reffer to a virtual server without any software installed on it, so you get just root access and do what you want.

Excellent question. I think "vps" is still more popular.

• GOBBLESGOBBLES Member
    edited June 2021

@amadex1337 said:

Why would it matter if see some providers using those terms.. ok so? it iss not a common term or a service and i think noone would say bare vm or bare vps because for u to be provisioned a vm or a vps it is generally installed with a OS miminum.. like mentioned by @jackb

Are u asking to know which term because u register either barevm.com or barevps.com or both and u plan to be selling domain here? :)

Make one more thread to ask people which term they like.. vm hosting or vm server :)

• Which provider use this term?

• @hardgamers said:
    Which provider use this term?

bare vps; qhoster
    bare vm; huawei, cloudesire

try to insert these terms in google with " "

• jlayjlay Member
    edited June 2021

I'd prefer to leave out 'bare' - I'd rather that be the default/implied as mentioned here:

@jackb said:
    Neither, the default should be the OS's minimal configuration. Why make a new term

The images should be completely as provided by the vendor (edit: and regularly updated).

They typically provide things like cloud-init so that you can do customizations on top of it for things like agents, monitoring tools, etc.

This makes things generally more flexible, putting control in the hands of the user.. but also making things a little more modular for easier maintenance/updates for the provider as well

With that said, VPS in my eyes is a dated term. Just call it what it is, a virtual machine. Or use them interchangeably, I think VPS probably is easier for most to recognize

VPS was more useful when dedicated was everywhere. In the day of Cloud, 'VM' feels more appropriate. They lack a lot of the private networking and stuff you'd find elsewhere

One last edit: the things you install onto the base image is the 'managed service'. Service being more flexible than a particular marketing term for technology. Claiming 'managed' is what gives permission to substantially modify the installation

• @jlay said:
    I'd prefer to leave out 'bare' - I'd rather that be the default/implied as mentioned here:

@jackb said:

The images should be completely as provided by the vendor (edit: and regularly updated).

They typically provide things like cloud-init so that you can do customizations on top of it for things like agents, monitoring tools, etc.

This makes things generally more flexible, putting control in the hands of the user.. but also making things a little more modular for easier maintenance/updates for the provider as well

With that said, VPS in my eyes is a dated term. Just call it what it is, a virtual machine. Or use them interchangeably, I think VPS probably is easier for most to recognize

VPS was more useful when dedicated was everywhere. In the day of Cloud, 'VM' feels more appropriate. They lack a lot of the private networking and stuff you'd find elsewhere

Don't waste your time trying to explain why or how the terms VPS or VM is used

Based on his history and previous threads.. he is just asking so that he knows the money he spent to register the domain is justified and it actually made sense so that he can try to sell them at a later time

Thanked by 3jlay DP drunkendog
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@GOBBLES said: is justified and it actually made sense

That would be a.k.a, appraisal ;)

• @jlay thanks for your post! I appreciate it.

@snt @GOBBLES @thedp stop barking. Thanks.

@amadex1337 said: @thedp stop barking. Thanks.

Excuse me? Are you indirectly saying that I'm a dog? Just because I replied to someone else's comment?

If you're working your way to being a dick here, I strongly advice you to tread lightly.

• amadex1337amadex1337 Member
    edited June 2021

@thedp said:

@amadex1337 said: @thedp stop barking. Thanks.

Excuse me? Are you indirectly saying that I'm a dog? Just because I replied to someone else's comment?

If you're working your way to being a dick here, I strongly advice you to tread lightly.

When you start to bark at someone without a reason, firstly check yourself and what are your intentions
    (Picture 1) on this forum. This topic was about terms bare + vm/vps, not about appraisals. Think carefully about who is flaming.

(Picture 1)

@ONTOPIC

We have 50% 50% results

@amadex1337 said: When you start to bark at someone without a reason

Who was I barking at? I only replied to a comment by @GOBBLES quoting what was said and how I interpreted it.

But if you insist on indirectly calling me a dog then you're just walking on thin ice.

So what's wrong with my threads? Nothing, ever :)

@amadex1337 said: We have 50% 50% results

24 votes with 265 views (and counting), goes to show how much people care :)

Thanked by 2GOBBLES drunkendog
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its called minimal for fucks sake, fucking bare.
    Get of my lawn, what the fuck even.

edited June 2021

@thedp said:

@amadex1337 said: When you start to bark at someone without a reason

Who was I barking at? I only replied to a comment by @GOBBLES quoting what was said and how I interpreted it.

But if you insist on indirectly calling me a dog then you're just walking on thin ice.

So what's wrong with my threads? Nothing, ever :)

@amadex1337 said: We have 50% 50% results

24 votes with 265 views (and counting), goes to show how much people care :)

"You are right about everything" but under the signs of quotations, you are the hero of this community. Now I would ask you to end every communication with me because it makes no sense. You have one opinion about me, I have another about you. Don't act like a nice virgin here. You do, but then you don't know what you do.

@amadex1337 said: You have one opinion about me

Yes, and in my opinion, you should be sent back to the phantom zone.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/amadex1337
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/amadex
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/Mister
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/1030
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/VM_Server

Courtesy of SDB and those who have been watching.

edited June 2021

@thedp said:

@amadex1337 said: You have one opinion about me

Yes, and in my opinion, you should be sent back to the phantom zone.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/amadex1337
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/amadex
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/Mister
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/1030
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/VM_Server

Courtesy of SDB and those who have been watching.

Now open that profiles, and find bad content. I think the content is almost the same as yours, the only difference is that I leave a lot of money in some of the top providers from this forum.

I leech/seed. And you are the kind of guy that's just leeching a torrent, and deletes it after download.

• PeterPPeterP Member, Host Rep

To provide my input on the opinion of "Bare VPS vs Bare VM", I usually tend to avoid the word "bare" altogether and just go with whatever your service is. The service being "bare" should already be implied if you're allowing clients to install their own operating system via a control panel, support ticket, etc.

Not that I disagree with using it at any point, but if you want to keep things simple when advertising online usually it would be best to drop unnecessary terminology where something already covers it.

Thanked by 1amadex1337
  • @PeterP said:
    To provide my input on the opinion of "Bare VPS vs Bare VM", I usually tend to avoid the word "bare" altogether and just go with whatever your service is. The service being "bare" should already be implied if you're allowing clients to install their own operating system via a control panel, support ticket, etc.

Not that I disagree with using it at any point, but if you want to keep things simple when advertising online usually it would be best to drop unnecessary terminology where something already covers it.

Thanks for your opinion. I was just Googling some providers, and saw they offer "bare" VPS with just OS (without panels etcs). Firstly I've thought that were VPS's with dedicated cores or something like that.

@amadex1337 said: Firstly I've thought that were VPS's with dedicated cores or something like that

You definitely need to look up the word bare in the dictionary.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Neoon said:
    Its called minimal for fucks sake, fucking bare.
    Get of my lawn, what the fuck even.

"Virgin" is what we usually say in tickets.

Francisco

Thanked by 2seriesn amadex1337
  • @amadex1337 said: I leave a lot of money in some of the top providers from this forum

@amadex1337 said: Even a lot of providers from this forum benefit from me because I pay for VMs that they are idle.

@amadex1337 said: Someone's got a good domain portfolio, a good project and a real life

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3235931/#Comment_3235931

The boastfulness..

Thanked by 1amadex1337
  • @amadex1337 said:

Then they are fucking inexperienced idiots and a red flag to stay away from.

"Bare" metal doesn't refer to being no OS installed, but no hypervisor/virtualization layer.

Thanked by 1amadex1337