Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple LVM for Virtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Multiple LVM for Virtualization

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hello,

Is there any Control Panel for VM Provisioning which support multiple LVMs ?? I see SolusVM doesn't support it yet (added in Feature Request), Virtualizor does. But, can't think of the feasibility. Is it possible to create one LVM over 2 disks ?? I got that it's possible but highly depreciated. What can be the possible solutions for this ??

Regards.

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Hello,

Is there any Control Panel for VM Provisioning which support multiple LVMs ?? I see SolusVM doesn't support it yet (added in Feature Request), Virtualizor does. But, can't think of the feasibility. Is it possible to create one LVM over 2 disks ?? I got that it's possible but highly depreciated. What can be the possible solutions for this ??

Regards.

Lvs exist in a volume group, which can be allocated from multiple disks. It's definitely not deprecated.

What are you looking to achieve?

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@jackb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Hello,

Regards.

Lvs exist in a volume group, which can be allocated from multiple disks. It's definitely not deprecated.

Provisioning VM from 2x500GB NVMe. But, SolusVM supports only one Volume Group. I'm just a bit worried that would it make a problem if I create lvs in vg allocated from multiple disks ! & is that vg can be extended in the future while it is not empty ( as there will be vm already).

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@jackb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Hello,

Regards.

Provisioning VM from 2x500GB NVMe. But, SolusVM supports only one Volume Group. I'm just a bit worried that would it make a problem if I create lvs in vg allocated from multiple disks ! & is that vg can be extended in the future while it is not empty ( as there will be vm already).

Sure, you can add both disks to a volume group and have 1T to allocate.

I wouldn't recommend it though, when one of them fail you'll lose data. Do yourself a favour and stick them in raid1 and just allocate 500G.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

SolusVM is almost dead now. I'm sure they will not add this kind of feature now.

Even Solus.io looks like dead as well. The last update they post on their blog was an announcement on March 24 about NIXStats's joining their greedy group.

@ViridWeb said:

SolusVM is almost dead now. I'm sure they will not add this kind of feature now.

Even Solus.io looks like dead as well. The last update they post on their blog was an announcement on March 24 about NIXStats's joining their greedy group.

Yes, seems like that to me too. Going for alternatives.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

You can try Cloudstack if you want
    It's very user friendly and have lots of features.

Or maybe Openstack

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

Or maybe Openstack

Any idea on VMmanager ?

edited May 2021

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

Or maybe Openstack

Any idea on VMmanager ?

I did test VMmanager6 (I think in 2020)

It's looks good.
    Better UI than Virtualizor and SolusVM
    Installation very easy (sometimes may needs little bit of extra effort)
    Their support is also very fast and usually reply within few minutes

But it doesn't have a proper working module for production use (Their module only create vm and redirect to the panel) so no features like reboot, reinstall

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

Or maybe Openstack

Any idea on VMmanager ?

It's looks good.
    Installation very easy (sometimes may needs little of extra effort)

But it doesn't have a proper working module for production use (Their module only create vm and redirect to the panel) so no features like reboot, reinstall

I have no problem with module as long as they have API. As I'm not using WHMCS/ClientExec. I need to know how they perform.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

Or maybe Openstack

Any idea on VMmanager ?

It's looks good.

I have no problem with module as long as they have API. As I'm not using WHMCS/ClientExec. I need to know how they perform.

They performed very well and very much suitable for production use if you have the resources to code a module using API

However I still think proxmox is better in terms of features

Also they charge on per vm as I can remember.

BTW, they do offer self hosting demo so you can install it on your server.

Thanked by 1Mahfuz_SS_EHL

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

Or maybe Openstack

Any idea on VMmanager ?

It's looks good.

They performed very well and very much suitable for production use if you have the resources to code a module using API

I checked Proxmox but to maintain Proxmox, I would be needing a expert team always ready on call which will be expensive later. And, the pricing VMmanager sent to me isn't per VM but per core. Are you sure about the per VM pricing ?

edited May 2021

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said:

Or maybe Openstack

Any idea on VMmanager ?

It's looks good.

I checked Proxmox but to maintain Proxmox, I would be needing a expert team always ready on call which will be expensive later. And, the pricing VMmanager sent to me isn't per VM but per core. Are you sure about the per VM pricing ?

No matter which software you use, you must have an expert team always ready.

And yes I'm sure when I tested the software they charging per VM pricing.
    Don't know the present pricing as we do not use it.

You can search here at LET "VMMANAGER6" you can find the old thread on the maker name Pavel I think

Edited: here it is (read all discussions).

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/160664/new-control-panel-for-kvm-virtualization-management-vmmanager-6/p1

@ViridWeb said: No matter which software you use, you must have an expert team always ready.

Yes, that should be. But, in proxmox I'm not getting any support from Proxmox where at VMmanager, if I don't make any blunder, I hope it won't make any issue. So, fault tolerant is great whenever issues arise.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@ViridWeb said: No matter which software you use, you must have an expert team always ready.

Yes, that should be. But, in proxmox I'm not getting any support from Proxmox where at VMmanager, if I don't make any blunder, I hope it won't make any issue. So, fault tolerant is great whenever issues arise.

Proxmox do provide support but it's expensive for LET market providers if we think of profit margins

But the support from VMmanager (ISPsystem) is prem and also included with the pricing.

Good luck..👍