Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to monitor Chia mining
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to monitor Chia mining

Hello everyone,

I provide CCTV remote surveillance video storage.

Storage usage and I/O has risen sharply recently since May, this is something rather unusual and I suspect that someone is using this service for Chia mining.

Ask the community for help:

Does Chia mining have any unique files or behavior? I need to find them.

Thanks

Comments

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

You could start off with blocking port 8444

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Run chia yourself. Problem solved.

Thanked by 1coolice
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@VPSSLIM said:
    You could start off with blocking port 8444

Could just do it over a tunnel then. You can 'remote farm' where your farmers connect to a central node you run. Can probably run it on any port you want.

Francisco

• appcomqappcomq Member

@deank said: Run chia yourself. Problem solved.

This joke, but it's not funny at all.

@VPSSLIM said: You could start off with blocking port 8444

I just provide SAN storage. No mining programs running on my server.

Thanked by 1SomeBody2L
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@appcomq said:

I mean you can restrict the only files allowed on the server to be a video format

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Then video coin comes along.

• appcomqappcomq Member

@skorupion said: I mean you can restrict the only files allowed on the server to be a video format

iSCSI cannot limit the file format.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

@appcomq said:

@skorupion said: I mean you can restrict the only files allowed on the server to be a video format

Check all the real file formats that your customers are providing, and then write a program that will delete any other file format uploaded after uploading by the client. Should do the trick plus will annoy chia miners

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited May 2021

@skorupion said:

@appcomq said:

Check all the real file formats that your customers are providing, and then write a program that will delete any other file format uploaded after uploading by the client. Should do the trick plus will annoy chia miners

That's assuming he can read the files. Since this is iSCSI, a block device is exposed to the client and would break your method if it's a LUN whose contents are encrypted (e.g. LUKS).

• FalzoFalzo Member

no idea what your offer exactly looks like and how you do billing (based on storage/traffic?) but you have options to see at least usage per client I assume?

if you can see/read the files the plot naming will always start with plot-* so they should be easy to find, regardless if it's "just" full plots stored to be farmed (which would not be IO intense though) or if it's temp-files during plotting.

if you cannot access the content your best chance probably is limiting IOps to a reasonable number. I assume that storing CCTV streams won't need high IOps anyway but rather a constant stream.

however, to detect abuser just look at the traffic. creating a single plot will be about 1.5-2TB. also for 'only farmers' the plots are about 105GB in size, if you have clients with (incoming) traffic blocks of that size, they are obviously moving that in.

Thanked by 2DreamCaster lanefu
  • appcomqappcomq Member

Thanks @Falzo

I monitor LUN write bandwidth, The abuser has been found.

• @appcomq said:
    Thanks @Falzo

what did you do to abuser?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Jumbo933 said:

@appcomq said:
    Thanks @Falzo

what did you do to abuser?

• omelasomelas Member

as your client are mostly video file, maybe inject random bitflip(and log its location, so can be recoverd when needed) to storage to invalid mine result from it?

• coolicecoolice Member

@appcomq said:

Just provide storage on a price that is profitable for you and do not expect clients to not use it !!!!

I even allow clients to store backups in mine shared hosting... I have inode limits just because backup storage is not pure ssd / nvme and it struggles to keep up.... client can opt in for increases of the limitswith a little steps to a reasonable level if justified or I can lift them if client if they opt out of backups

• @coolice said: Just provide storage on a price that is profitable for you and do not expect clients to not use it !!!!

No. I don't want to pay for someone else's Chia mining. Hardware + Power costs is significant when mining coins and rather than paying an averaged out price, I'd have to pay the whole bunch of unnecessary costs.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur maverickp