Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the point of reselling a popular cloud provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the point of reselling a popular cloud provider?

0x650x65 Member
edited May 2021 in General

As I see in this thread, name.com reselling DO cloud servers with an increased price. Other than the free period, what is the point of reselling a cloud provider without any benefit? Do people really buy DO, Vultr or Hetzner servers from these kind of resellers?

I can understand if a reseller;
1- Have some partnership agreement with a cloud provider at the same pricing and get their own share.
2- Offers value added services or provisioning services like Serverpilot etc.
3- Offers fully managed contract projects.
4- Have some white-label agreement with the cloud provider.

Isn't it a pointless thing to reselling directly the same offer with an increased amount of pricing (and it is not even hourly billing)? Why would anyone choose name.com over DO itself to get a droplet?

Can anyone explain the logic here?

Comments

• seriesnseriesn Member

@0x65 said:
    As I see in this thread, name.com reselling DO cloud servers with an increased price. Other than the free period, what is the point of reselling a cloud provider without any benefit? Do people really buy DO, Vultr or Hetzner servers from these kind of resellers?

I can understand if a reseller;
    1- Have some partnership agreement with a cloud provider at the same pricing and get their own share.
    2- Offers value added services or provisioning services like Serverpilot etc.
    3- Offers fully managed contract projects.
    4- Have some white-label agreement with the cloud provider.

Isn't it a pointless thing to reselling directly the same offer with an increased amount of pricing (and it is not even hourly billing)? Why would anyone choose name.com over DO itself to get a droplet?

Can anyone explain the logic here?

Never underestimate the power of branding and marketing. Not to mention, being officially endorsed by certain big brand might include major financial deals.

Thanked by 10x65
  • JasonMJasonM Member

Godaddy is now selling (their Dedi V4) OVH dedis from France location with around $50 - $100 per month more markup under their own branding & support!

• 0x650x65 Member

@JasonM said:
    Godaddy is now selling (their Dedi V4) OVH dedis from France location with around $50 - $100 per month more markup under their own branding & support!

Godaddy also uses AWS for their web hosting services. This counts as a value added service and totally understandable. Also, offering a dedicated services from a big provider like OVH can be understandable. It requires some efforts for configure these servers and integrate with your control panel etc.

What I do not understand is offering the same offer with a pricing starting from $6 with DO branding. Why a customer wants this?