Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway/Online.net bans Chia plotting, but allows farming.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway/Online.net bans Chia plotting, but allows farming.

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

How are they going to monitor it on a dedicated server?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@jbiloh said:

Likely the same Hetzner does.
    IP + Port ban and some DPI to send you a nice message.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2021

@jbiloh said:

No idea, but based on the blog and their ToS, they will bill all broken SSDs/NVMe disks into your invoice if they suspect that you are mining on their network. So if you report a broken SSD on a storage server, get ready to provide proof of innocence lol.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Pretty hard stance they are taking.

That said, not surprised really, Chia mining isn't easy on gear and the entire dedicated server industry is based around certain ROI models, which if broken (like in the case of short term life of storage devices used for Chia) the sales model no longer works.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • WilliamWilliam Member

@stefeman said: No idea, but based on the blog and their ToS, they will bill all broken SSDs/NVMe disks into your invoice if they suspect that you are mining on their network. So if you report a broken SSD on a storage server, get ready to provide proof of innocence lol.

If i signed up before ToS they can keep their changes and put them wherever they might want to.

Thanked by 2pbx yoursunny
  • PixelsPixels Member
    edited May 2021

@William said:

@stefeman said: No idea, but based on the blog and their ToS, they will bill all broken SSDs/NVMe disks into your invoice if they suspect that you are mining on their network. So if you report a broken SSD on a storage server, get ready to provide proof of innocence lol.

If i signed up before ToS they can keep their changes and put them wherever they might want to.

The section 9 they refer to already existed before all the Chia non-sense, so they could still hold you liable for the broken SSDs if they deem it was the user's fault.

• defaultdefault Veteran

It seems they start to feel the price increase too.

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited May 2021

@default said:
    It seems they start to feel the price increase too.

It not really about feeling a price increase, it’s about people renting a dedi and literally destroying the SSD’s every 2-4 weeks, asking for new disks or just cancelling their dedi’s and giving this problem to the next tenant.

I can fully understand why providers prohibit this.

Thanked by 1duckeeyuck
  • LeviLevi Member

@William said: If i signed up before ToS they can keep their changes and put them wherever they might want to.

In theory, each time when you renew services you "sign" ToS again and again. Of course they must inform you about any changes in ToS before that (usually 1 month prior to service renewal), but that's it. Your choice is to agree on whatever they throw at you - or move away.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@LTniger said: In theory, each time when you renew services you "sign" ToS again and again

I would happily fight this assumption in court and strongly believe this is not true in the EU. In the US sure, i'm surprised how randomly ToS are enforceable (or un-enforceable) there every single time.

@LTniger said: Of course they must inform you about any changes in ToS before that (usually 1 month prior to service renewal), but that's it. Your choice is to agree on whatever they throw at you - or move away.

This is true, but some companies avoid it (either intentional or to bind you, like Netcups 12mo contracts at quarterly/whatever payment) and you can always avoid it (pre pay, then valid as date paid for per invoice).

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

--