Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean NYC down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean NYC down

My DO NYC1 droplet is down, don't know how long its been down for, just noticed it.
DO apparently is having 'power outages' at their DC.
Seems like these kinds of problems have become DO's signature.

Comments

• NYC1 scheduling delay.
    Mon Nov 25 02:05:00 2013

Equinix reports that UPS 7 with a redundant power supply failed, it is now back online and we are working with their engineers to restore service.
    Mon Nov 25 03:40:10 2013

We are experiencing a power outage at NYC1 and have engaged Equinix to investigate.
    Mon Nov 25 02:27:11 2013

We have engaged our engineering teams to investigate temporarily scheduling delays.
    Mon Nov 25 02:07:32 2013

Things happen..

• DO NYC1

NYC1 is actually across the river in Equinix's Newark, NJ data center. but in DO marketing land NYC1=Newark and Cloud=VPSw/RAID5

Thanked by 2Nick_A jamson
  • well you can look froward to a $500 credit? or is that only when they accidentally delete your vps?

• OP you should follow DO's twitter. https://twitter.com/digitalocean

DigitalOcean ‏@digitalocean 26m

Equinix IBX Site Engineer reports that UPS 7 failed, it is now back online and we are working with their engineers to make it so.

• Ah right, one of my vps were rebooted, and the uptime now just 1 hour.

• ATHK said: Things happen..

with DO all the time

earl said: well you can look froward to a $500 credit? or is that only when they accidentally delete your vps?

Asked them if I get any credit, waiting for a reply now.

JerryHou said: OP you should follow DO's twitter. https://twitter.com/digitalocean

I already do. Just that I don't really use twitter that much.

ErawanArifNugroho said: Ah right, one of my vps were rebooted, and the uptime now just 1 hour.

Yeah, I was planning on keeping it up for 365 days so that I could go and brag about it in the highest VPS uptime thread, but sadly that wouldn't be happening now.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • The thing that gets me is sure NYC is down but they blocked droplet creation across the board... So I can't create a droplet in SAN because of it... Which is annoying...

• So now, the terms of "Cloud" for "HA" with DO is not true, the only true Cloud term for DO is just for billing :)

• I just attend Huawei HCNA cloud 2 week ago and their term of cloud is

1. Resources is billed per usage time.
    2. Elastic resources.
    3. High availability.

It's just like what iwstack implemented.

• UPDATE: DO just granted me $5 credit, which equates to a month of free service for me.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Zen said: From now on I will use DO for anything unimportant so that I can host for free.

Well, as I said, DO might have problems, but nobody can beat them at the price of free.

• DO playing the loss leader card is causing all of these "growing pains"(no ip's, power issues,etc) to occur. Once the growing pains are over and customer creation has plateaued, I am sure they will be gobbled(sold) up by some larger corp for the client list. I'll continue to stay away and just send my monthly fee's to folks who actually love what they do, rather than a "pump & dump" at a large scale. I have seen too many startups with crazy pricing do this, and I really can't see why DO won't exit the same way....too much VC cash is out there, and I don't see how they will have the RMR to make it over the long term. I hope I am proved wrong, and time will only tell.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

@dano said:
    DO playing the loss leader card is causing all of these "growing pains"(no ip's, power issues,etc) to occur. Once the growing pains are over and customer creation has plateaued, I am sure they will be gobbled(sold) up by some larger corp for the client list. I'll continue to stay away and just send my monthly fee's to folks who actually love what they do, rather than a "pump & dump" at a large scale. I have seen too many startups with crazy pricing do this, and I really can't see why DO won't exit the same way....too much VC cash is out there, and I don't see how they will have the RMR to make it over the long term. I hope I am proved wrong, and time will only tell.

It was designed to be sold from the beginning, just look at how they do stuff

edit: oh and IIRC the owners have been creating pump-and-dumps startups for some time now

I am sorry for whoever will buy it, but I doubt they will recover the costs, there are tough times ahead and the market is going from bad to worse.

• why cant they recover the costs? 512MB KVM for $5 isnt really low end these days right? Even LEB providers are offering loss leader 2GB KVMs for $7 a month. At digitalocean's scale 512MB $5 are profitable.

• @Ruchirablog $5/Month for a 512MB High-End "Cloud VPS" is very cheap to me, especially coming from a MAJOR provider. I can safely say that DO is the biggest low-end VPS provider here.

• Cloud but still not having HA.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Cloud but still not having HA.

Still hung up on that? They're trying to draw the AWS dev crowd. SAN HA is the last thing anyone wants from there.

• Hehe.. I'm not using them for critical application. :)

For something important, I can only use iwStack. DO just for running as my backup server now.

It is profitable if it is paid. DO is offering a lot of free service, though. So, I am sure they are not profitable now. That could change, but in this market it is not very likely.

• @Jeffrey said:
    Ruchirablog $5/Month for a 512MB High-End "Cloud VPS" is very cheap to me, especially coming from a MAJOR provider. I can safely say that DO is the biggest low-end VPS provider here.

DigitalOcean 512MB performance is no way near "High End". Take a look at serverbear benchmarks. and DigitalOcean isn't a cloud. Its just a regular KVM VPS's with a custom panel

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@Ruchirablog said:
    DigitalOcean 512MB performance is no way near "High End". Take a look at serverbear benchmarks. and DigitalOcean isn't a cloud. Its just a regular KVM VPS's with a custom panel

WTF is cloud anyways? A cluster of servers and NFS archiving (maybe)? By that definition they are cloud but whatever. Too many people get hung up on that stupid word. It needs to go away...like some 80's hair band.

• Maybe the growth and pricing is unsustainable. They are very stingy with their IPs. They have like a /21 or /22 - and I think they just got it - no way they are even using close to 30% of it yet and they won't even give me a SINGLE extra IP that I absolutely justifiably need!

• @holyearth said:
    Maybe the growth and pricing is unsustainable. They are very stingy with their IPs. They have like a /21 or /22 - and I think they just got it - no way they are even using close to 30% of it yet and they won't even give me a SINGLE extra IP that I absolutely justifiably need!

Get used to it. Going to get harder for everyone.

• holyearth said: They have like a /21 or /22 - and I think they just got it

I don't think that's accurate. With the amount of advertising they are doing, they can't stay stuck with just 1000 customers. Also, they don't have their own allocations.

• @Ruchirablog Yes, it might be just a KVM on a custom panel, but $5/Month for a 512MB Ram KVM is still a very great price. I'd much rather rely on them than a low-end provider here. Just my two cents.

• Anyone know why I can't spin up new instances in San Francisco?

For the last few days I've only had a choice between NYC 1 & NYC 2.

• @nunim said:
    Anyone know why I can't spin up new instances in San Francisco?

For the last few days I've only had a choice between NYC 1 & NYC 2.

it's not just you, me too. I think the IP is out of stock or the infrastructure.

• Not enough of IP addresses.

• The only thing I like is only backups,billing and snapshot,remaining is like any other simple vps