Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway discontinues C1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway discontinues C1

Just got this e-mail telling me to fuck-off before the 1st of September. Rip scaleway ARM.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

To cheap for scaleway, so it needs to go.
    One of the cheapest dedis you still had as option.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Looks like there are no comparable small ARM servers?

• It's funny because they still honor this after so many years..

edited May 2021

@stefeman said:
    It's funny because they still honor this after so many years..

Well, wait no more, the end is near.
    I bet that this year you gonna see a juicy price hike.

The did hiked the previous 1.99, hence the warning before ordering.

@v3ng said:

Ikoula has RPi4 available and @DataIdeas-Josh has some.

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@stefeman said: It's funny because they still honor this after so many years..

It's not "so" many years for that 1.99 offer, only about 1.5 years so far: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/160448/2-99-10-setup-fee-dedi/p1

They promised so definitely that there won't be a price hike, so more likely it will just end like this C1, when they decide to decommission these old 2-core Atoms with 4GB RAM from their lineup.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

I still remember how it all started in labs. The C1 was the first server they offered. Now they cut their roots. There is nothing special about Scaleway anymore.

Adieu Scaleway!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@default said:
    I still remember how it all started in labs. The C1 was the first server they offered. Now they cut their roots. There is nothing special about Scaleway anymore.

Adieu Scaleway!

There will always be a special place in everyone’s heart for offline.net.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@v3ng said:

We offer RPIs through https://RPiServers.com that are ARM based.
    Thank you for the mention @Neoon

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@default said: I still remember how it all started in labs. The C1 was the first server they offered.

It was not. Scaleway is just a rebranding of Online.net, and Online.net has been offering dedicated servers since at least 2010, the usual x86 ones.

There is nothing special about Scaleway anymore.

There never really was, unless you count that someone actually thought it's a good idea to throw away such a brand as Online.net, in favor of something much less prominent and more generic.

• xyzxyz Member

@rm_ said: It was not. Scaleway is just a rebranding of Online.net, and Online.net has been offering dedicated servers since at least 2010, the usual x86 ones.

The C1 was the first product offered under the Scaleway brand.

Prior to that, Online.net was pretty much exclusively dedicated servers, but I guess they figured they needed to change to cash in on the 'cloud' hype. Their shtick was that they'd offer small dedicated servers in a cloud-like environment (I think they called it 'physicalization' or something similar) instead of virtual servers that every other cloud provider offers, hence the small C1 nodes.

Obviously this hasn't really worked in their favor, so now they're largely just yet-another-AWS-wannabe.

Thanked by 1default
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@xyz said:

@rm_ said: It was not. Scaleway is just a rebranding of Online.net, and Online.net has been offering dedicated servers since at least 2010, the usual x86 ones.

Prior to that, Online.net was pretty much exclusively dedicated servers, but I guess they figured they needed to change to cash in on the 'cloud' hype. Their shtick was that they'd offer small dedicated servers in a cloud-like environment (I think they called it 'physicalization' or something similar) instead of virtual servers that every other cloud provider offers, hence the small C1 nodes.

Obviously this hasn't really worked in their favor, so now they're largely just yet-another-AWS-wannabe.

I think they just saw a way to recycle all of that trash hardware that was failing or about to fail. Slap a virtualization layer on that server graveyard and call it a cloud.

Thanked by 2webcraft angelius
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@jar said:

@xyz said:

I think they just saw a way to recycle all of that trash hardware that was failing or about to fail. Slap a virtualization layer on that server graveyard and call it a cloud.

Still, it's sad that Scaleway is not special. It's just another cloud provider, and personally, I liked the Online.net brand more, but maybe naming is all about tastes.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • xyzxyz Member

@jar said: I think they just saw a way to recycle all of that trash hardware that was failing or about to fail. Slap a virtualization layer on that server graveyard and call it a cloud.

Popular opinion perhaps, but I don't think they ever had ARM servers before Scaleway (and the C1 didn't have any virt layer).
    Your statement is probably more accurate with their Kidechire sales, and possibly their C2 (Atom based) lineup.

Thanked by 1jar
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@Neoon said: Ikoula has RPi4 available

Takes too long to setup. Almost 24 hours and still no delivery.

• @NanoG6 said:

Can't wait to idle eh?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@duckeeyuck said:

@NanoG6 said:

Can't wait to idle eh?

Naah.. Initially I just wanted to quick test before my actual Raspberry Pi arrive today. So there is no point anymore to wait for ikoula (slow) service.

• @NanoG6 said:

@duckeeyuck said:

@NanoG6 said:

Can't wait to idle eh?

Naah.. Initially I just wanted to quick test before my actual Raspberry Pi arrive today. So there is no point anymore to wait for ikoula (slow) service.

And that's not buying to idle?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@duckeeyuck said:

@NanoG6 said:

@duckeeyuck said:

@NanoG6 said:

Can't wait to idle eh?

Nope, requested a cancellation

@NanoG6 said:

@duckeeyuck said:

@NanoG6 said:

@duckeeyuck said:

@NanoG6 said:

Can't wait to idle eh?

Nope, requested a cancellation

Usually its deployed on working days quite quick.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

They refunded, but also delivered the server at the same time.. well 🤷🏻‍♂️

@NanoG6 said:
    They refunded, but also delivered the server at the same time.. well 🤷🏻‍♂️