Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH IP Issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH IP Issue

JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

@OVH_APAC @OVH_UK

I came across a strange issue with a new server today.

For some reason emails from some office365 accounts and other systems weren’t being delivered to our server. Most others were fine. Our server couldn’t even see them. There was no official bounce on office 365. Or from our server.

I raised a ticket with OVH. They said no issue. I change the IP’s to another failover and it started receiving email with no issue. So our server is fine from what I can tell.

Sounds to me something strange going on… just wondered if anyone else had a similar issue???

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2021

I’d ask MS support for the return code for the email sent from Office 365. Either your server didn’t accept it and Microsoft failed to bounce it (MS problem), Microsoft didn’t send it (big MS problem), your server accepted it and you didn’t troubleshoot properly, or OVH intercepted the connection and accepted it somewhere else.

OVH doesn’t intercept inbound SMTP in my experience. That’d be insane even in the realm of providers that do intercept some SMTP traffic (usually outbound, and they do that).

There’s not many ways that can go. I’m not sure I’d be content with not knowing considering the value of most of the above being true.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

@jar

This was what office365 was showing the error being:

Reason: [{LED=450 4.4.316 Connection refused [Message=Socket error code 10061]

The DirectAdmin server was receiving emails fine from many others inc some 365 accounts.

There was nothing in the logs on the DA server about blocking connections.

Changing the server IP seems to have resolved it, but it’s a bit strange that it’s an issue receiving mail.

We use MailChannels for outgoing email and I checked ip’s were clean and clean with ms365z

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@JamesF said:
    @jar

This was what office365 was showing the error being:

Reason: [{LED=450 4.4.316 Connection refused [Message=Socket error code 10061]

The DirectAdmin server was receiving emails fine from many others inc some 365 accounts.

There was nothing in the logs on the DA server about blocking connections.

Changing the server IP seems to have resolved it, but it’s a bit strange that it’s an issue receiving mail.

We use MailChannels for outgoing email and I checked ip’s were clean and clean with ms365z

Interesting. Sounds like you indeed diagnosed it correctly and that it wasn’t likely inside the server. Doubtful that adding an IP changed firewall, etc.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I tried 2 ways, using the existing serve IP which worked and adding a new failover IP which worked.

It was such a strange issue and one I had never seen before.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Typical Microsoft behaviour ....