Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving Server Ping Rate
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Improving Server Ping Rate

Hi All,

I have a question. Is it possible to have different IP from same provider have two different ping rates?

If so how it can be improved and what is the way to find why it differs.

Thanks

Comments

• pikepike Veteran

Yes it is possible to have different IP on the same server, but to end up with different pings they cannot be from the same (network) provider. This usually happens when there is one DDoS protected and one unprotected IP, where the DDoS protected IP may not only cause delays caused by the firewall but also by having different peering and therefore different routes.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@imgmoney said: If so how it can be improved and what is the way to find why it differs.

If abnormal, how about reaching out to the respective NOC?

• @pike said:
    Yes it is possible to have different IP on the same server, but to end up with different pings they cannot be from the same (network) provider. This usually happens when there is one DDoS protected and one unprotected IP, where the DDoS protected IP may not only cause delays caused by the firewall but also by having different peering and therefore different routes.

You are right, the IP which has a high ping rate is DDoS protected.

@RickBakkr said:

@imgmoney said: If so how it can be improved and what is the way to find why it differs.

If abnormal, how about reaching out to the respective NOC?

Already emailed them.

• @pike said:
    Yes it is possible to have different IP on the same server, but to end up with different pings they cannot be from the same (network) provider.

That works just fine and was normal on some networks that had premium and volume "networks"

Premium IPs would be allowed to use all upstreams and volume was cogentco only resulting in having 3 ms latency with premium and 140 ms with volume because LGI and cogentco did exchange traffic only in the US and not in Europe for some time in the past.

• I am using Contabo and the ping rate from India is 600ms, 350ms, 250ms, 200ms, 170ms likewise and for very small users it is 50ms.

I am using Contabo servers from Singapore. Usually, other Singapore servers provide 50ms to 75ms

• @imgmoney said:
    Hi All,

I have a question. Is it possible to have different IP from same provider have two different ping rates?

If so how it can be improved and what is the way to find why it differs.

Thanks

How much different is it?

You'll be asked to provide mtr traces so they can see where the additional latency is coming from.