Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I gonna do in the future as an IT student
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What I gonna do in the future as an IT student

In the beginning, the reason I study diploma in information technology is I wish I can be a software engineer in future but now I may want to learn about the server like cloud computing or database. So what do you think?
Because there are many choice to choose what I gonna do in the future

Comments

• tetechtetech Member

@EskilStevens_879 said:
    In the beginning, the reason I study diploma in information technology is I wish I can be a software engineer in future but now I may want to learn about the server like cloud computing or database. So what do you think?

I think LET should not be considered a great source of wise counsel for such matters.

• ben47955ben47955 Member
    edited May 2021

@EskilStevens_879 said:

Do what uou like. There are no wrong path in IT career.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • mafidommafidom Member

Cloud computing and artificial intelligence is the future! A lot of businesses are moving to the cloud. Such as Microsoft cloud services etc...etc..

• coldcold Member

how about PIMP ?

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited May 2021

Please don't idealize any such diploma in our field nor should you follow the advice of others. Doing so, and pursuing a degree in Software Engineering (despite magna cum laude), I have found myself to not find any joy in 'traditional' work in our field. Others would say I am overqualified for the current employment - since what I do usually is not in line with the above, but please don't make money or prestigiousness a decisionmaker. Do what you love. Don't do what others think you love, or others think you are qualified for. Trust me, it'll break you.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Well, I went into It because I knew I wanted to work at a data center or at least a hosting company from the start.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Don't get confused. At the end of the day IT is a discipline in the math and engineering field, once one strips the "XYZ is the thing!", hype, politics, and blabla layers. That is the core, everywhere.

You seem to be very young, insecure, and moldable and it seems to be easy to influence and confuse you, so keep the guideline in mind and sight: at the core it's about math and engineering.
    If you like that and if that matches your capability and interest profile then go for it and shift decisions about details some years out. Once you have say 2 years at the uni in your back it will be much, much easier to find the right direction for you and it's in fact quite likely that it'll come "naturally".

The question you should answer now is not "which sub-field?" but rather whether IT really is the right field for you or whether you came to that conclusion mostly based on social factors (and influence).

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @RickBakkr said:
    Please don't idealize any such diploma in our field nor should you follow the advice of others. Doing so, and pursuing a degree in Software Engineering (despite magna cum laude), I have found myself to not find any joy in 'traditional' work in our field. Others would say I am overqualified for the current employment - since what I do usually is not in line with the above, but please don't make money or prestigiousness a decisionmaker. Do what you love. Don't do what others think you love, or others think you are qualified for. Trust me, it'll break you.

But in the end money talks.

Thanked by 1fendix
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

@tetech said: I think LET should not be considered a great source of wise counsel for such matters.

The opposite. A lot, if most, LET members are professionals in IT business or working there, so, he could grab some useful insights about it. Of course, LET cannot be the only or the main source or opinions.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@Boogeyman said: But in the end money talks.

All depends. Rather make less and enjoy work more than make more and have a terrible time, just my two cents. Currently pursuing a degree with a pay grade ~€2K/mo lower, solely for the point of self-fulfillment. Much more important.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

By time you are done with LET, all you are going to remember is -

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'd be tempted to get into machine learning/AI or data science...but as @jsg points out, that's really a field of mathematics. Load up on math and stats. The "how do I code that in NumPy" is far, far easier.

The alternate route is more trade-school-ish. Being a sysadmin or a DBA or even most programming jobs does not require a degree. You're not breaking new ground or delving deep into the frontiers of research to build a shopping cart web site. It's a trade, much more akin to learning welding or how to be an electrician than an academic discipline.

@mafidom said: Cloud computing and artificial intelligence is the future! A lot of businesses are moving to the cloud. Such as Microsoft cloud services etc...etc..

Learning AI/ML/etc. is math + stats. Learning "cloud computing" is a couple certs and maybe some experience as a Linux admin and a bunch of other practical knowledge. The first is an academic discipline...the latter is more of a trade.

I would also add that interpersonal skills (defusing an argument, getting your point across, presenting in front of people, being able to write succinctly, how to organize a project, time management, etc.) are also important. However, this is true of any job...just don't forget them.

Thanked by 2jsg bulbasaur