Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS VS Cloud Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS VS Cloud Hosting

Which want you will more prefer for? Why?

Comments

• Cloud = more scaling, more tools to directly use
    VPS = very cheap, basically no scaling and no tools you can use

They both have places where they shine. If I'm hosting a production website, I might use Lambda so it will never get overwhelmed with traffic.

If I'm hosting a hobby project that I don't care about, I might use a cheap VPS instead to save money.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Here’s what matters and it’ll be right far more often than it’s wrong:

VPS = pay, wait for provision, use

Cloud = self provisioning (you create the VPS in their panel on demand), hourly billing, snapshots

This is far from all of the details, but that’s a good foundation. Don’t believe anyone who says cloud = redundancy. That’s called high availability and if it doesn’t say it’s that, it isn’t.

• TejyTejy Member
    • Cloud can be considered as a technology/product made for SMEs and big companies thanks to additional features (even if the basic cloud foundation is just a simple VM)

• VPS are just traditional VMs with only basic features.

Also keep in mind that most cloud providers are creating product to avoid companies managing their own infrastructure, in order to keep focus on their code (software).

• randomqrandomq Member

Prefer VPS, as you can use docker or other HA and load balancing techniques to spread your service across multiple providers, data centers, and networks. Sometimes have to use cloud though, if you need to scale faster than you can buy dedis. Either way your installation and configuration should be automated.

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Clould = Has a low chance of your data being sent to actual clouds in the sky. OVH has done it.

VPS = Has the same issue.

• elliotcelliotc Member

The AWS service is so complex that you need to take a lot of cert and course. When we tell about cloud, that usually a set of infrastructures designed according to needs and on top of specific providers, it is not only about server.
    For example, if the task is build on top of Amazon, you most likely cannot migrate it to GCP unless you redesign it.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

Technically, they are the same thing. But cloud is a more fancy name for it.

@deank however is partially right. Data was sent in clouds, but by Google, not by OVH.

• I prefer hard metal dedicated servers for more choice of customization and freedom of use.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@drunkendog said: Cloud = more scaling, more tools to directly use

not necessary as more often cloud is VPS account and nothing more!

@jar said: Cloud = self provisioning (you create the VPS in their panel on demand), hourly billing, snapshots

can be archived with VPS.

Well, in low end, cloud = vps.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur

@deank said:
    Well, in low end, cloud = vps.

Agree, the cloud in my understanding is something like: your server is GEO replicated so if you are in Canada you will access server close by, USA again closed by, Europe again the same and the whole sever has the same information up-to-date without any delays. Example: Microsoft or Amazon website

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

VPS is manually provisioned and cheap while cloud is auto-provisioned and expensive

@skorupion said:
    VPS is manually provisioned and cheap while cloud is auto-provisioned and expensive

VPS can be automatically provision!

• VPS's can be automatically provisioned, and cloud hosting can also be manual provisioned... the main difference is that cloud hosting is typically spread across many servers.

Seen OVH's cloud?

lol.

Thanked by 2mike1s skorupion
    edited May 2021

@deank said:
    Seen OVH's cloud?

lol.

I will translate from French: OVH VPS 😂👌 if storage is located on different node doesn’t mean that it’s cloud!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • @EskilStevens_879 said: Which want you will more prefer? Why?

I do not mix apples and oranges.
    VPS != cloud instance.

For something relatively small and medium or long term with pre-calculated resources without growing in 9 cases of 10 will use VPS or a dedicated server.

For development needs, when need to try to set up some env. For testing nodejs, or a new app just created in docker, or test some features, or control panels, or do some small stuff for sure, I will choose Cloud. Because it's cheaper if billed hourly / daily.

I did not have big projects, but I had medium ones (for thousands of customers at the same time), and I do not remember any day when I've used Cloud infrastructure for my project needs, because for me was more than enough dedicated/VPS servers pre-configured and that works. So I did not even think to use any cloud stuff because for that needs, and it was extremely overpriced, not agile, weak, not stable at all ( yes, the cloud can be, and usually really not stable if compare to many VPS providers).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@WebProject said:

@skorupion said:

Many of us are trying to explain this simply, but if you want to start nitpicking then you may as well just drop the NIST definition and accept no less: https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2011/10/final-version-nist-cloud-computing-definition-published

Small preview: “The NIST definition lists five essential characteristics of cloud computing: on-demand self-service, broad network access, resource pooling, rapid elasticity or expansion, and measured service.”

This fits what we jump to mentally when we think of cloud: AWS, DO, Vultr, etc. It’s not quite just phrasing.

VPS merely references a virtualized server. If the marketing term used, one should expect to not see it meet the definitions in that document. If one sees the term “cloud” used one should expect, and be rightfully upset if they don’t, to find the features outlined on that same document.

Obviously, all of the features of cloud servers can apply to a VPS, since the VPS a foundational part of cloud servers. However, while cloud servers will inherently include VPS in its meaning, VPS will not inherently include the remaining definitions of a cloud server. This will be fairly consistently reliable when shopping.

Confusion of the terms is not beneficial to anyone. There are standard expectations from purchasing one or the other, and consumers should be aware of that. Getting the wrong customer leads to a bad interaction for everyone. If anyone feels that they’re left out because their VPS product meets the definition of cloud servers, they should feel empowered to add that to their marketing.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@jar said:

@WebProject said:

@skorupion said:

Many of us are trying to explain this simply, but if you want to start nitpicking then you may as well just drop the NIST definition and accept no less: https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2011/10/final-version-nist-cloud-computing-definition-published

Small preview: “The NIST definition lists five essential characteristics of cloud computing: on-demand self-service, broad network access, resource pooling, rapid elasticity or expansion, and measured service.”

This fits what we jump to mentally when we think of cloud: AWS, DO, Vultr, etc. It’s not quite just phrasing.

VPS merely references a virtualized server. If the marketing term used, one should expect to not see it meet the definitions in that document. If one sees the term “cloud” used one should expect, and be rightfully upset if they don’t, to find the features outlined on that same document.

Obviously, all of the features of cloud servers can apply to a VPS, since the VPS a foundational part of cloud servers. However, while cloud servers will inherently include VPS in its meaning, VPS will not inherently include the remaining definitions of a cloud server. This will be fairly consistently reliable when shopping.

Confusion of the terms is not beneficial to anyone. There are standard expectations from purchasing one or the other, and consumers should be aware of that. Getting the wrong customer leads to a bad interaction for everyone. If anyone feels that they’re left out because their VPS product meets the definition of cloud servers, they should feel empowered to add that to their marketing.

MXCloud when?

Thanked by 1jar