Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Question regarding file systems on VPS servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question regarding file systems on VPS servers

XYZ1234XYZ1234 Member

Hello.

I have a question regarding VPS hosting, which I have asked on other forums but no luck as yet.

It's a bit technical, but I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help as there seems to a lot of vendors here.

I need to make extensive use of tmpfs. Specifically, I need to modify tmpfs size and number of inodes used. This would take the form of a line in the /etc/fstab file - something like this:
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults,size=XXXXm,noatime,nosuid,nodev,nr_inodes=XXXX 0 0

This works fine on local environments, but I'm ignorant about how shared environments work and I don't know if customised fstab files are allowed and/or would even work.

Obviously, all data on tmpfs is lost on re-boot, but I would need the filesystem to boot back with the same config.

Can this be done?

Thanks.

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member

fstab works on VPS.

What you try will (most likely) not work on OpenVZ/LXC (which both are end of life anyway), but is zero issue on KVM/VMWare/HyperV/Xen.

Thanked by 1XYZ1234
  • XYZ1234XYZ1234 Member

That's precisely the answer I was looking for. Thanks so much.