Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to learn the teminology
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where to learn the teminology

charlie_ukcharlie_uk Member
edited May 2021 in Providers

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a good online course or YouTube channel that will help me learn about VPSs. I am not looking to become a system admin, baby steps, I just want to understand more. For example, what is OpenVZ, KVM, Ryzen, Hybrid Dual Storage VPS, Reseller Pool, etc?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2021

Subject matter too broad. Focus on what you’re here to solve. Something led you here, follow that path and learn what you need to get there.

OpenVZ is a type of virtualization (not fully virtualization at all, but more than basic containers at this stage in its development)

KVM is a type of virtualization

Ryzen is a line of CPUs made by AMD

Hybrid is a term that is flexible but often refers to a VPS that isn’t as oversold, dedicated CPU cores might be implied to the average shopper but never assume

• @jar said:
    Subject matter too broad. Focus on what you’re here to solve. Something led you here, follow that path and learn what you need to get there.

OpenVZ is a type of virtualization (barely virtualization at all, but more than basic containers given how connected it is to its kernel)

Hybrid is a term that is relative but often refers to a VPS that isn’t as oversold, dedicated CPU cores might be implied to the average shopper but never assume

Thanks for the reply @jar. There are so many, I've added another couple. Hybrid Dual Storage VPS, Reseller Pool... I just hoped there is a YouTube channel or course that explains in more detail. I prefer to learn before I read, rather than look it up after I've read it. If that makes sense.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@charlie_uk said:

@jar said:

OpenVZ is a type of virtualization (barely virtualization at all, but more than basic containers given how connected it is to its kernel)

Hybrid is a term that is relative but often refers to a VPS that isn’t as oversold, dedicated CPU cores might be implied to the average shopper but never assume

Thanks for the reply @jar. There are so many, I've added another couple. Hybrid Dual Storage VPS, Reseller Pool... I just hoped there is a YouTube channel or course that explains in more detail. I prefer to learn before I read, rather than look it up after I've read it. If that makes sense.

At best one video per. Better to just Google every term individually.

Hybrid disk storage doesn’t imply a strict definition, would have to read more into the host’s definition.

Reseller pool is a pool of resources delegated to resellers for them to delegate in pieces to their customers. “Here’s 10 cookies, go sell one to 10 customers”

• _MS__MS_ Member

@charlie_uk said: YouTube channel

@raindog308?

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint AXYZE
  • Ban hammer for those who insist on YT. >:)

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Ban hammer for those who insist on YT. >:)

@AlwaysSkint I searched YT for Ban Hammer and got games with a big hammer. Clearly it's another term I don't understand.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @charlie_uk said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@AlwaysSkint I searched YT for Ban Hammer and got games with a big hammer. Clearly it's another term I don't understand.

All your questions so far, including your doubts on "banhammer" could have been answered by googling. That would have been faster than coming on LET to ask.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

For the first two google it its too broad for me to explain via text
    Ryzen - a brand of consumer processors from AMD
    Hybrid dual storage VPS - has 2 disks attached to it.
    One bigger (HDD slow) One smaller (SSD or NVMe super fast)
    Reseller pool - you get a certain amount of resources that you can split up between a few VMs and resell on your website.

• charlie_ukcharlie_uk Member
    edited May 2021

@smallbibi said:

@charlie_uk said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

All your questions so far, including your doubts on "banhammer" could have been answered by googling. That would have been faster than coming on LET to ask.

@smallbibi You are correct, the definitions of examples I have given can be found by Googling. However, my question was "Can anyone recommend a good online course or YouTube channel". If we knew everything we needed to ask we would not need universities, we would just ask Google. The point of a course is to teach us things we didn't know we needed to know.

Thanked by 1errhead
  • Thanks for the reply @skorupion & @jar. It is a far too big a topic to be answered in a thread. I was hoping someone knew of a good online course that I could follow or even a playlist of YT videos that would teach the basics. I have Googled this without success. Thanks for explaining some of my examples, it is a good start.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited May 2021

OpenVZ: a virtual machine that doesn't have its own kernel, and usually has massive overselling and poor performance.

LXC: like OpenVZ, but from @Neoon.

KVM: a virtual machine that runs its own kernel, and usually has no overselling on RAM and disk.

Hyper-V: like KVM, but from Microsoft.

Xen: like KVM, but nobody is offering it anymore.

Overselling: sell 64 virtual machines on a physical machine with enough hardware resources for 48 virtual machines, so that your virtual machine might crash or slow to a crawl if you try to fully utilize its resources.

Ryzen: a CPU that should not be in the data center, but people want it anyways.

Coffee Lake: like Ryzen, but from @WebHorizon.

EPYC: a CPU that belongs in the data center, but people think it's slow.

Xeon: like EYPC, but with vulnerabilities.

NVMe disk: a fast and expensive disk for programs and active websites and databases.

Spinning rust: a slow and cheap disk for backup.

SSD: a disk between NVMe and spinning rust.

Hybrid dual storage: one NVMe/SSD disk and one spinning rust.

Slice+Slab: a virtual machine with hybrid dual storage in Luxembourg.

EntryBytes: like Slice+Slab, but in USA.

IPv4: a network protocol invented 40 years ago, where 32-bit addresses are running out.

IPv6: a standardized replacement of IPv4, where there are plenty of 128-bit addresses.

No IPv6 Hall of Shame: a list of providers that do not offer IPv6.

ColonCrossing: a long term member of no IPv6 hall of shame.

64-bit addressing: a replacement of IPv4, invented by @jsg.

IPv9: a decimal based network protocol not yet invented, but a few summer hosts are selling it anyways.

Summer host: a provider that is believed to be deadpooling after a summer.

Deadpool: the act of enticing customers to pay for one year or longer service, then shutdown the company and disappear with the money.

AlphaRacks: the expert in deadpool.

RackNerd: a provider that gives a free backpack or virtual machine in exchange of bumping their threads, but there's no IPv6.

nanoKVM: a website that gives a free virtual machine in exchange of bumping their threads, but there's no IPv4.

WordPress: bloated software to run a blog.

CPanel: bloated software to install WordPress.

DirectAdmin: like CPanel, but cheaper.

Inception: where you can get free DirectAdmin in Her Majesty's continent.

NexusBytes: like Inception, but in USA.

999 special: a limited time promotion of a virtual machine with 128GB RAM sold for $999/year.

24 push-ups special: a coupon where you can get $24 off at Nexril if you do 24 push-ups.

1000 push-ups special: a coupon where you can get 200% off at NexusBytes if you do 1000 push-ups in 24 hours.

NAT: network address translation, a technique to share one IPv4 address among multiple virtual machines, where each virtual machine gets outbound IPv4 access and 20 inbound ports.

Gullo: where you can get NAT OpenVZ virtual machines running on spinning rust.

WebHorizon: like Gullo, but KVM and running on SSD.

Bundle: buy multiple virtual machines, usually in different locations, from the same provider, at a discount.

Resource pool: buy a certain amount of RAM and disk from a provider at a discount, that you can use to create multiple virtual machines in same or different locations of the provider.

The above answer is written for entertainment purpose.
    Entries are in no particular order.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@yoursunny said:
    OpenVZ: a virtual machine that doesn't have its own kernel, and usually has massive overselling and poor performance.

LXC: like OpenVZ, but from @Neoon.

KVM: a virtual machine that runs its own kernel, and usually has no overselling on RAM and disk.

Hyper-V: like KVM, but from Microsoft.

Xen: like KVM, but nobody is offering it anymore.

Overselling: sell 64 virtual machines on a physical machine with enough hardware resources for 48 virtual machines, so that your virtual machine might crash or slow to a crawl if you try to fully utilize its resources.

Ryzen: a CPU that should not be in the data center, but people want it anyways.

Coffee Lake: like Ryzen, but from @WebHorizon.

EPYC: a CPU that belongs in the data center, but people think it's slow.

Xeon: like EYPC, but with vulnerabilities.

NVMe disk: a fast and expensive disk for programs and active websites and databases.

Spinning rust: a slow and cheap disk for backup.

SSD: a disk between NVMe and spinning rust.

Hybrid dual storage: one NVMe/SSD disk and one spinning rust.

Slice+Slab: a virtual machine with hybrid dual storage in Luxembourg.

EntryBytes: like Slice+Slab, but in USA.

IPv4: a network protocol invented 40 years ago, where 32-bit addresses are running out.

IPv6: a standardized replacement of IPv4, where there are plenty of 128-bit addresses.

No IPv6 Hall of Shame: a list of providers that do not offer IPv6.

ColonCrossing: a long term member of no IPv6 hall of shame.

64-bit addressing: a replacement of IPv4, invented by @jsg.

IPv9: a decimal based network protocol not yet invented, but a few summer hosts are selling it anyways.

Summer host: a provider that is believed to be deadpooling after a summer.

Deadpool: the act of enticing customers to pay for one year or longer service, then shutdown the company and disappear with the money.

AlphaRacks: the expert in deadpool.

RackNerd: a provider that gives a free backpack or virtual machine in exchange of bumping their threads, but there's no IPv6.

nanoKVM: a website that gives a free virtual machine in exchange of bumping their threads, but there's no IPv4.

WordPress: bloated software to run a blog.

CPanel: bloated software to install WordPress.

DirectAdmin: like CPanel, but cheaper.

Inception: where you can get free DirectAdmin in Her Majesty's continent.

NexusBytes: like Inception, but in USA.

999 special: a limited time promotion of a virtual machine with 128GB RAM sold for $999/year.

24 push-ups special: a coupon where you can get $24 off at Nexril if you do 24 push-ups.

1000 push-ups special: a coupon where you can get 200% off at NexusBytes if you do 1000 push-ups in 24 hours.

NAT: network address translation, a technique to share one IPv4 address among multiple virtual machines, where each virtual machine gets outbound IPv4 access and 20 inbound ports.

Gullo: where you can get NAT OpenVZ virtual machines running on spinning rust.

WebHorizon: like Gullo, but KVM and running on SSD.

Bundle: buy multiple virtual machines, usually in different locations, from the same provider, at a discount.

Resource pool: buy a certain amount of RAM and disk from a provider at a discount, that you can use to create multiple virtual machines in same or different locations of the provider.

The above answer is written for entertainment purpose.
    Entries are in no particular order.

Only USA? Sad. I very very sad :(

• edited May 2021

@smallbibi said:

@charlie_uk said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

I'm not sure it helps us to discourage others from joining LET to ask questions. When more join we are all richer for their shared experiences & LET slowly catches up to WHT. Total Victory

• @yoursunny said:

Thanks @yoursunny. Most good humour has a foundation on the truth.

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

@smallbibi said:

@charlie_uk said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

I'm not sure it helps us to discourage others from joining LET to ask questions. When more join we are all richer for their shared experiences & LET slowly catches up to WHT. Total Victory

The point isn't to discourage him from asking questions. Learning how to google is very helpful when it comes to learning things. Is it faster to google "banhammer" or is it faster to ask what it means on LET?

Anyway, @charlie_uk often it comes down to searching for the right keywords. If you just want to learn some lingo on LET I guess the other members have you sorted out. What do you want to achieve? If you just want to learn about "vps", maybe you should be googling "virtualization technology". (But perhaps you actually want to be a sysadmin? In which case maybe learning linux, then automation eg. ansible is what you need instead)

@charlie_uk said: If we knew everything we needed to ask we would not need universities, we would just ask Google. The point of a course is to teach us things we didn't know we needed to know.

Your argument is generally true, but in the case of "tech" (broad generalizing term, think software, IT etc.) there are very good platforms to learn from without needing to worry about learning the wrong things. You could read documentations, stackoverflow etc.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • charlie_ukcharlie_uk Member
    edited May 2021

@smallbibi Thanks for suggesting the search term "virtualization technology". It brought up a lot of good info.
    I thought "ban hammer" was the name of a YT channel. I see now it wasn't. :/

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@charlie_uk said:

Thanks for the reply @skorupion & @jar. It is a far too big a topic to be answered in a thread. I was hoping someone knew of a good online course that I could follow or even a playlist of YT videos that would teach the basics. I have Googled this without success. Thanks for explaining some of my examples, it is a good start.

if ya want to hop into a call and get some terminology explained I can do it. Prefer to either use discord or signal. DM me if ya want to do this.